The Dawn of Audi Ownership... In this case, an A3.

BIFCAIDS

Reaction score
Hello All,

First time owner, first time poster.

Over the last 3 weeks, myself and my partner have been looking for a replacement for her Civic, which was starting to cost her more money than it is worth. So enough is enough, we started looking at cars and an A3 tickled her fancy. Budget was £6k at first, however trying to find a decent spec car that has been looked after that has sub 100k is few and far between, so we upped the budget to £7.5k and better cars popped up.

After trawling eBay, Pistonheads and AutoTrader we had found ourselves with a decent list of potential cars, we travelled to Macclesfield to have a look at one there, the garage wanted top dollar for a car that wasn't up to standard. Likewise we looked at what appeared to be a lovely Ibis White 'BE' in Stockton-on-Tees (We live in Sale - Greater Manchester). The car was "Doctor Owned" (I'm not actually sure what that even means, we know a few and they don't look after their cars) and looked great in the photos, so we decided we'd go and have a look with the intention of buying it there an then and coming home in it, with us travelling so far. We arrived and the car was out in the forecourt, it looked spot on from about 10ft away. Closer inspection revealed all 4 wheels had been "refurbished" by Stevie Wonder, the previous owners private plate was still on the car (bearing in mind it's now registered to a Lexus), arm rest knackered (turns out this is the A3's bread and butter), interior was marked with the headlining being torn in the boot area and a rip in the leather on the back bench and that isn't the worst of it. We took the car for a test drive irrespectively seeing as we'd travelled so far for what I'd class as a nail and upon firing the car up I knew straight away it was a money pit seeing as the flywheel was letting me know it wasn't happy through the clutch pedal. We went out for 10 minutes and looked the car over one last time and spotted the sill wasn't right on the NSF, it bulged out and was smooth and after closer inspection it had taken a hit and repaired badly. After returning to the dealership we got the usual dealer patter of "well it's a 10 year old car, you have to expect marks", fair comment and I know this however I don't expect a nail at top whack. So we jumped back in the car and made our way home (yay!), tried to look at a Black A3 with a 'pano' roof an nav in Shipley on our way back, but he let us down when we were about 15 minutes away after knowing we were coming.

2 days later my partner came to me all excited "found one", had a look at it and it was a lovely Ibis White Black Edition, 79k, full service history, 1 owner from new and it looked mint inside and out. So that night we headed to Burnley (about 40mins away) to have a look at it while the dealer was closed. Car looked fantastic, missing PDC but not a problem (it was a requirement, but not imperative), wheels were good etc you get the picture. The following day I rang up the dealer and arranged a viewing that day. Viewed the car and took it for a test drive, no issues other than the ABS light coming on to the horror of the dealership owner. So he said to take it to a garage around the corner from the dealership and they diagnosed it being an ABS sensor, no biggy in the grand scheme of things considering the history of the car and it's condition. We got back and discussed the price and getting the sensor sorted and a deal was done.

We picked the car up 4 days later, sensor sorted with a rear bearing to boot. Car looked great following it down the motorway and the misses was absolutely made up with it.

Audi A3

Anyway, this weekend I got my hands on it for a proper clean and a chance to fix a couple of issues like arm rest latch, missing badge off the 2nd key and new genuine bolt caps as they were knackered from hand wash wheel acid at a guess.

Got some pictures last night.

20210605 220650 1
20210605 220807
20210605 220943
20210605 221134
20210605 221216
20210605 221245
20210606 185552

Plans are;
  • Replace tyres with Michelin PS4's as there are 3 Hankooks, 1 is fitted the wrong way round, 1 is at about 3mm and the other is fine. the 4th tyre is a ditch finder. Thankfully Costco are doing a deal on the PS4's at the moment.
  • Spacers.
  • New centre caps.
  • New Brake Disc covers front and back.
  • Android Auto/Apple Carplay head unit that will work with the BOSE.
Could really do with some advice or even recommendations for head unit's as I haven't a clue, so any help would be appreciated.

Sorry about the long winded post guys.

Thanks,
Mike

Reactions: No more, phateuk, George Kost and 1 other person
Lovely car, and welcome to the forum. Car look very well spec'd, love the Ibis white with Black edition package.

These cars can be really reliable and cheap to maintain, as long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule obviously.

Congrats on the great find!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4a en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: BIFCAIDS
It amazes me how garages think everyone's an idiot when comes to buying cars, glad you walked away & I'd say it was destiny tbh mate, good for you.

Pdc can be fitted, so that's no worry.

Head unit wise, well depends on your needs, carplay, AA is a must, if you wanted wireless of those 2, it goes up in price as only more recent units come with built in, even chinese aftermarkets start to add up as wireless AA is only really an option with the Emil Borconi plug in, well developed but he's committed which is good for fw updates.

Whats your musts, as aftermarket radio reception is an issue tbh, dab is ok but its not perfect due to antenna design & signal.

It amazes me how garages think everyone's an idiot when comes to buying cars, glad you walked away & I'd say it was destiny tbh mate, good for you.

Pdc can be fitted, so that's no worry.

Head unit wise, well depends on your needs, carplay, AA is a must, if you wanted wireless of those 2, it goes up in price as only more recent units come with built in, even chinese aftermarkets start to add up as wireless AA is only really an option with the Emil Borconi plug in, well developed but he's committed which is good for fw updates.

Whats your musts, as aftermarket radio reception is an issue tbh, dab is ok but its not perfect due to antenna design & signal.
Yeah It does make me laugh, a lot of people would have bought it based on how far they'd travelled also. Even if I'd travelled from London I wouldn't have bought it, if its not good enough, its not good enough especially for nearly 8k.

Well my partner is fine now without the PDC as it's way easier to park than her Civic (visibility wise) and she's never had it previously so she isn't reliant on it, if you know what I mean.

Regarding head unit's, quite happy to pay for a wireless unit. Well, so long as she can get google maps on it, stream music, make calls and still use the steering controls Happy Days. Obviously, I've read on here people having problems with the BOSE etc. but I don't know whether thats just down to cheap unit's or DIY fitting.

If the right kit is used, then Bose will be fine, alternator whine, interference is another, again using the right kit will alleviate this usually.

A very nice looking car but as nice as it is, I can guarantee if you’d travelled from London or even from within the North/South circular roads, you wouldn’t have bought that one. £12.50 ULEZ charge per day for that car From October. I had to get rid of my diesel Evoque because of that. :frown:

A very nice looking car but as nice as it is, I can guarantee if you’d travelled from London or even from within the North/South circular roads, you wouldn’t have bought that one. £12.50 ULEZ charge per day for that car From October. I had to get rid of my diesel Evoque because of that. :frown:
Thanks, well I suppose that would be the common sense approach but seeing as its not an issue in Manchester a 2.0 diesel is the perfect commuter car for my partner, especially when we visit family in Cleethorpes or Warrington. Saves me fuel driving in my 340.

So got some new bits for it over the last week, two jack pucks and front and rear brake disc dust covers. The originals look tired and rusty so they are an inexpensive item to swap out.

20210613 192116

20210613 192302

Now just need to sort the multimedia unit out, finally decided on the Kenwood DMX8020DABS as it's true wireless for Android Auto.

Stunning Car!
1. Apple CarPlay - I have the Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB. Fantastic Headunit, but can appear to be a bit too bass(y) at times.
2. Parking Sensors - can be retrofitted, I got mine done at VW Retrofits (Nuneaton). Cruise control can also be retrofitted at VW Retrofits using genuine parts.

I fitted LED rear numberplate lights. Enjoy!

I've owned mine for 3 years, and still look back at it when parked up.

Reactions: aqibi2000
Stunning Car!
1. Apple CarPlay - I have the Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB. Fantastic Headunit, but can appear to be a bit too bass(y) at times.
2. Parking Sensors - can be retrofitted, I got mine done at VW Retrofits (Nuneaton). Cruise control can also be retrofitted at VW Retrofits using genuine parts.

I fitted LED rear numberplate lights. Enjoy!

I've owned mine for 3 years, and still look back at it when parked up.
Thanks, well we want that Kenwood for Android Auto but we did look at the Pioneer units but decided on the Kenwood due to the fact it was true wireless for Android, unlike all the other units at its price point.

As for parking sensors, she's said it's actually easier to park than her old Civic so they're not needed at all now. So that saves some **** balling about fitting sensors etc.

Won't be changing any of the bulbs, I always think LED jobbies look a bit naff (no offence) because they're too bright. The ones in it are OEM, want to keep it like that as they've got a good natural light and do a good enough job.