The fog is not just in the air - it's the brain too!

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I was walking my dog about an hour ago. It's a busy residential area; people are walking to work or to the railway station, it's bin collection day so the refuse trucks are everywhere, and the world and its wife are driving to work or taking their children to school. It's also foggy and gloomy.

And yet, less than half the cars are showing any form of light. Of those that are, a big proportion are on sidelights, which are usless.

As I turned back into my street and prepared to cross the road, I just saw a Jaguar XF at the last moment. I pointed in the direction of the front of the car and mouthed the word "lights". The driver wound his window down and asked me what I was saying. I suggested he might want to put his lights on, his reply was "they're automatic, mate, what's it got to do with you?"

I said it was to do with me because I was a pedestrian sharing the road with him, and just because the lights are automatic, he can still think for himself.

"B0ll0cks" was the reply.

Reactions: jojo
Damned if you do, damned if you don't Jeff! It's not always positive to be one of the good guys, but we try our best! :respekt:

Reactions: DarkBunny
It does usually seem to be grey cars for some reason, you know, the ones that blend really well into the fog!

Reactions: Arrkon
No fog and you see loads of cars with fogs blaring.
A bit of fog and you hardly see any.

How's that work? :scared2:

First thing I did before pulling away was turn my lights on. Made me laugh that the lass who insists I'm a terrible danger as I admit to speeding rolls in with no lights and a near flat tyre. But it's ok as she never speeds, WTF!?!?

What gets me is that when there is fog, people automatically put their fog lights on, without considering their purpose, or the amount of fog!!
The highway code states that they should only be illuminated during times of seriously reduced visibility, ie 100 metres or less. People put them on regardless of the actual amount of visibility.
Then, once there is another vehicle behind them, and their position on the road has deffinitely been established, they leave them on! Their purpose is to warn other motorists of the presence of the vehicle, and once that purpose has been established, they should be turned off. One major reason is the safety factor, as they can disguise brake lights being illuminated, even for a moment, which can in itself cause a collision.

Reactions: @udi A3
It was extremely foggy here yesterday and I hunted high and low for my fog lights, till I realised they were on the same switch as the main lights lol:meeting:

What gets me is that when there is fog, people automatically put their fog lights on, without considering their purpose, or the amount of fog!!
The highway code states that they should only be illuminated during times of seriously reduced visibility, ie 100 metres or less. People put them on regardless of the actual amount of visibility.
Then, once there is another vehicle behind them, and their position on the road has deffinitely been established, they leave them on! Their purpose is to warn other motorists of the presence of the vehicle, and once that purpose has been established, they should be turned off. One major reason is the safety factor, as they can disguise brake lights being illuminated, even for a moment, which can in itself cause a collision.

I share your pain. I for one usually turn my fogs off when i can clearly see the car behind knows im there and i might be dazzling him. Right now im enjoying the bliss of my anti dazzle rear view mirror!!

Anti dazzle rear view mirrors are for winners. Charlie Sheen would of had one

Reactions: voorhees
I enjoy the irony of people with their fog lights on (for safety) sitting a yard from your bumper in thick fog

Reactions: Lavis89 and Tovs
And yet, less than half the cars are showing any form of light. Of those that are, a big proportion are on sidelights, which are usless.

At least yours is now one of the good guys, with your nice new DRLs.
Or would you expect to put on other lights as well (in fog levels less problematic than the 100 yd limit)?

I share your pain. I for one usually turn my fogs off when i can clearly see the car behind knows im there and i might be dazzling him.

Totally agree!
If the "road train" has enough clearance that they are not driving unsafely, then keep the dazzling lights off. If you have to extend the gap so visibility of the car in front is a problem (ie you are driving within the distance you *can* see) then you have to put your own lights on again.
And if the car behind is too close for that same speed, then perhaps the rear fogs will give him the confidence to sit further back and still know you are there.

But I'm talking real pea-soup fog here, and that is so rare as to be hypothetical.
In most of the "heavy mist" situations, a bit of help when you're on your own, and then once you have caught up in a convoy, back to nominal lights.