The forever car

JeffY

Reaction score
I used to own a Peugeot 205 GTI and have many of a time wished I had kept and maintained the car, not just because they are now a classic but because I really loved the car. I’m now at a similar situation with my 2006 A3 2.0T Quattro Sport Back Sline , I’ve owned the car from new and has been a great car. I figure it’s a great platform to keep as a fovever car which may or not become a desirable classic but fits me like a glove. Anyone else looking to maintain an A3/S3 8P as their last car?

Reactions: bronco
No. Not special enough. It won’t be my last car, but I may keep it as a toy and get it turbo’d.

Still regret the day I got rid of my R5GTT.

Its special to me. Lots of memories, picking it up new from Audi with my son, the road trips around the UK and Europe, I figure only a very few will be kept for 30-40 years and become quite rare, already I hardly ever see a car similar to mine.
8B1020F5 520F 499B B9B8 6F941E8730A3

I used to own a Peugeot 205 GTI and have many of a time wished I had kept and maintained the car, not just because they are now a classic but because I really loved the car. I’m now at a similar situation with my 2006 A3 2.0T Quattro Sport Back Sline , I’ve owned the car from new and has been a great car. I figure it’s a great platform to keep as a fovever car which may or not become a desirable classic but fits me like a glove. Anyone else looking to maintain an A3/S3 8P as their last car?

Hi JeffY,

I don't blame you for wanting to keep it - car looks in mint condition !!!

I feel like I am in a similar situation - we also have 2006 A3 2.0T since new. Honestly, I don't think the A3 will ever be some sort of desirable, collectable classic car. In our case, it will not be the last car - this is where my dilemma comes in ... We just entered our 60's and are hoping to get one more new(er) vehicle, ideally Audi again. I don't think any dealer will be interested in a trade in of 15+ years old vehicle. Although resale value of used vehicles here in North America went way up, still I don't think I would get any significant $$$ for it. I am too close to my A3 (Goldie) that I am starting to toy with the idea of just keeping it, the only issue is not enough room in my garage ;-)

So if you were asking me, I'd say keep it ! ;-)

Cheers,

Goldie AudiSport2

Reactions: ahtcap
I’m not sure if I’ll change my 2004 1.9 but after 12-13 years I can’t see me parting with it. There’s a running joke between me and the Mrs that I’ll be buried in it. It got to the point where she’s potentially looking into trading in her car so we can get a bigger one for the dog and new baby etc. I asked her “why didn’t you mention it?” To which I got through a smile “I didn’t see the point as your car is your car and that’s that”

Not to mention I’ve done ever retrofit possible I think and even a few I’ve come up with and would never get anywhere near the money I’ve spent out back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I’m in a strange situation, apart not liking the newer cars, my life change dramatically nearly 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 months after moving to Switzerland for work. Since then the chances of the car outlasting me have been very high and its only in the last year or so that I’ve gained some confidence that I might just manage to beat a cancer that has a 7% 5 year survival rate. The car was left in the UK and stayed pretty neglected for a while but never let me down when I came home after a break in the chemo cycle.

A bit dark but I somehow feel connected to the car and by keeping it running and having long term plans for it helps me look to the future rather than dwell on my own predicament.

Lovely car Bronco, that must have been one of the last preface lifts.

Very nice, funnily enough I was looking at the exact same Quattro stickers yesterday and they do suite the car.

I'll probably keep my A3 until it's completely dead, that's what I tend to do with cars these days.

There are cars I do regret selling though, such as an original Clio Williams, heavily modded, twin engined MK2 Golf, 80 Quattro, SE4 Calibra, V6 Alfa 156. There are cars though I regret buying in the first place - Punto HGT, 220 Tomcat Turbo, 106 GTi, MK3 Golf GTi, E46 M3 :blush: