The New Driving Test

TomR

Reaction score
Just been having a bit of a read on the new driving test that comes in today,

Candidates will now have to drive around independently for around 10 minutes on a specified rout although will not fail if they ask for directions or go off route. They will also now only have to complete one maneuver instead of the previous two.

The main aim of these changes is to reduce the number of accidents and deaths in new/young drivers.

Personally I can't see these changes making a blind bit of difference to the number of accidents in new drivers. Driving lessons are there now to pass your test not to cope with 'real world' driving conditions.
I think driving lessons need to include more of the courses which are given as punishments, such as the speeding course and drink driving courses. If they were shown before people commit the offenses (not after) they might make some difference in the way people drive.

I'd like to know what other peoples views are on this, I've had this discussion with a few people now who's views are pretty much on the same.

Well i've seen a HUGE increase in the number of mongos driving around with satnavs on the dash and following them blindly.

This indicates to me that they're not able to drive the car independently without someone(thing) holding their hand and telling them what to do. A friend of mines missus recently passed her test, and drives everywhere with the satnav on for this exact reason, although she'd never admit it ofcourse.

You may think that theres no point because it wont penalise anyone for going the wrong way, but if the persons incapable of following simple directions, they're more likely to make an **** of the independent drive, not because the forgot them but because they're unable to use their brains enough to handle the situation when they do get a bit lost. Instead of safely pulling over and asking to see the map, or asking the guy to repeat the directions, or even safely back tracking and/or following road signage, which is what a good driver should be doing, they're likely to get all flustered and make stupid mistakes, which they'll hopefully then fail on because they're not actually capable of driving a car.

I find it amusing that people moan about the test being too easy, and not teaching real world driving, yet when they add a 10 minute real world drive scenario to the test everyone exclaims that its totally pointless.

Personally I can't see these changes making a blind bit of difference to the number of accidents in new drivers. Driving lessons are there now to pass your test not to cope with 'real world' driving conditions.
I think driving lessons need to include more of the courses which are given as punishments, such as the speeding course and drink driving courses. If they were shown before people commit the offenses (not after) they might make some difference in the way people drive.

I'd like to know what other peoples views are on this, I've had this discussion with a few people now who's views are pretty much on the same.

i think that is a brill idea

I can see it making a difference, driving is down to concentration and being aware of whats going on around you. If you can't drive and pay attention to where you are going and whats going on around you then you are going to fail, and rightly so.
Its all about doing several things at the same time, and if you can't do it, you should pass your test.

How many bikers hit cars pulling out at junctions? How many times have you sat behind a slower car in the outside lane for a few miles, then all of a sudden they see you in their rear view mirror and pull over?
Its not making the test any harder or different from what you have to do in an everyday driving situation.