The potential of a 3.0 V6

Dippy

Reaction score
During my 2014 search for a car to replace my stage 2 B5 S4 I looked at many options including the BMW M3 and the Nissan-GTR. However I could not forget the formula that had served me well for the S4 that buying a 'not the top of the range' car with forced induction and tuning it could make one that performs nearly as well as the 'top of the range' version for a lot less money. Hence my current position of S5 ownership and waiting to release the potential of the 3.0 TFSI. However possibly because I am forced to wait I maintain my interest in the competition.

So I was intrigued to find out about the BMW M4 GTS (I'm not a BMW fan so no I didn't know about it before now). Now whilst BMW are not going to produce a production car, even a limited production one, with the performance that aftermarket tuners can achieve, for the hefty price of this version they are going to put some effort into upping the performance to somewhere near its capacity for a production engine. And reading that the GTS will have water injection suggests that this is true. So I was somewhat surprised that the engine will 'only' be pushed to 500PS/599Nm, not much more that our 3.0 TFSI can achieve with a stage 2 tune.

Now whilst indeed the aftermarket tuners could achieve much more that this, it is only with a lot of work and certainly in the case of turbocharging, with the introduction of significant lag. So I am wondering if really there is a limit to the potential of a 3.0 V6 for a 'sensible' fast road car and that is around the 500PS/600Nm mark?

both cars are nice but for me its audi all day, gtr sounds great and very quick, audi 3.0 few mods quick also for alot less money nicer place to sit and looking than the other 2 mentioned lol.

have you tuned your S5 yet ? I may have one soon.

Reactions: V6 Quatt