The speed police who operate in the Somerset area.

I think it's important to remember that most "Safety Camera Partnerships" operate under the guise of "Police", but in fact are run and operated by civilian staff.

Its the police that nick you and give you the points though. If it was a speed camera in a built up area with hazards then fair cop guv, I hold my hands up, but this one is an ambush and does little to restore faith in the police or the alleged true intention of speed cameras of improving road safety.
I Spoke with a friend about it who happens to be very high up in the Dorset police and he said its been going on for years, and not to contest it as they tend to impose the maximum fines and penalties to set an example.
He also agreed that roundels or a flashing reminder is the best option but does not generate revenue.

Just back from a weekend near Southampton and got pulled on the M27 for speeding!! Other cars in front of me were going similar speeds as I was just 'going with the flow' but was also stressed as it was sh*te journey and was the first bit of clear road so put my foot down. Completely my fault and I admit that but what annoys me the most is I have to go back down to Hampshire to do the driver awareness course, so thats £85 and a tank of fuel!! It would be cheaper in the short term to take the points and pay £60 but it would probably affect my insurance and dont really want points.

Also, have noticed a distinct lack of speed limit signs around the New Forest area!

Police and insurance companies don't give a damn what you think, they care about looking good in the statistics ! I know where a good part of my premium will go IF i had a lower insurance and i am 35 years old !!! Better brakes, better suspension and better car maintenance would go a long way in lowering statistics as well as educating the people to think when in charge of a motor vehicle !

Clarke,
You don't have to go to the place where you got nicked to take the course, they give you a list of centres throughout the country where you can take it.

My advice would be to call your insurance company and ask them how much it would go up if you were nicked for speeding, then work out the cheapest option. Mine didn't go up, so I opted for the three points and £60.

Clarke,
You don't have to go to the place where you got nicked to take the course, they give you a list of centres throughout the country where you can take it.

My advice would be to call your insurance company and ask them how much it would go up if you were nicked for speeding, then work out the cheapest option. Mine didn't go up, so I opted for the three points and £60.

Thanks sidibear, she did say I would have to go to either Eastleigh or Portsmouth to do the course and having never been stopped before I took it as read but did think it a little odd that you can't go a local centre. If I could take it locally then I would definitely go down that route. I will wait for the letter to come and see what it says.

Could I just ask, are there street lights along that road? because if there are, there is no need for a single speed limit sign; the highway code states that ALL roads with a system of streetlighting are a 30 limit, unless otherwise stated with signage. If there are no streetlights, there MUST be 30mph repeaters, in order for the road to be enforceable.

Is that not residential areas with street lights?

I know there aren't any repeaters on a national speed limit dual carriageway to work and it has streetlights...

No, it's not just residential, for the street lights, it is any road. The dual carriageway, is exactly that, and therefore it is automatically governed by the national speed limit, unless otherwise stated with signage. (as is the case on A34 botley, Oxford)

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table below). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.
Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6

*The 30 mph limit usually applies to all traffic on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise. †60 mph (96 km/h) if articulated or towing a trailer

Last edited:
Enoliver, it was a dual carriageway that leads into a single carriageway as you come around a corner, the camera van is positioned to scan at just that point, the corner. It will probably get your reg number as the front of the car appears and before you see the van.

It was an ambush pure and simple and does nothing to improve road safety. If they thought it was a dangerous road that warrants a speed trap then they should put up repeater signs or a flashing mph sign. The fact that they still keep putting a camera van there means they are just after the revenue and not out to improve road safety.

I draw your attention to these handy links.

BBC News - Speeding fines for drivers in Henlade spark 30mph limit review

Avon and Somerset Constabulary - Speeding on A358 road at Henlade (Speed Enforcement)

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Poo...ght-speeding/story-16495040-detail/story.html

Avon and Somerset Constabulary - Speeding along A358 at Henlade (Speed Enforcement)

And from an FOI request for speeding data here : Avon and Somerset Constabulary - Speeding Offences detected for Henlade Somerset (Speed Enforcement)
Oct 07 -Sept 08 5889 nicked
Oct 08 - Sept 09 3420 nicked
Oct 09 - Sept 10 7649 nicked
Oct 10 - Sept 11 7355 nicked
Oct 11 - Sept 12 8663 nicked

Still don't think its an ambush?

Last edited:
Hi sidibear,
I think you missunderstand me. I do not know the area, don't think I've ever been there. My feelings toward these "safer roads partnership" vans is that they are debt collectors for the exchequer, and though the idea of them- being used in accident hot spots is laudible, but they don't seem to do that, and I don't much care for the cowardly way that the people in them deal with offenders. At least when a traffic cop catches you speeding, they stop you and give you the opportunity to try and argue your case.
I simply asked whether there were streetlights, because everyone who has learned the highway code should know that if there are, then it is automatically a 30 limit.
I am more than happy to believe that this is an ambush, and that the van is situated in a perfect spot for doing exactly that.
ld draw your attention to my initial post, which simply asked whether there were street lights; at no time did I suggest the the van was good, so you seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to make a point which was unneccessary.
As it happens, just outside Abingdon, Oxon, there was a 50 limit, which for some rediculous reason, was reduced to a 30; suddenly loads of people were being booked. It wasn't until a councillor was booked that the speed limit was retuned to a 50.

And that I absolutely DO agree with

Same, My Advanced Roadcraft course taught me there is no such thing as "too much" speed, but only where it is appropriate. I think one of the biggest factors in speeding is that cars nowadays are more refined/comfortable/quiet, and that people genuinely wouldn't realise. I was in an XFR the other day doing about 120 (test track, obviously) and it felt the same as my car doing 70...

exactly the same as me mate got done by a van doing 37 in a 30 just over 3 years ago, middle of a friday on a main road thats set to a 30 even though everyone does 40+ got another year and a half then have to pay to get it removed!

It's far from illogical if you stop, stand back for 30 seconds and actually think rather than just accept what you're told. People make mistakes when driving at the speed limit or even under it as well as over it by a few mph. There are a whole number of factors in a collision, weather conditions, road conditions, vehicle type, vehicle weight, laden or unladen, tyre make model, tyre condition, tyre pressure, enviroment, external influences, driver distraction, etc etc.

At best it's terrible science to pick out one small factor and lay all the blame at its feet.

Well said. I nearly knocked somebody over in a car park because I forgot to put the handbrake on properly and walked off. Unknown to me the car rolled back towards some children playing but they spotted it in time. All on CCT too - gulp!