The wife wants....

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
....A Freelander 1!

I've tried to dissuade her due to all of the 'known' and potential niggles. However she ain't having non of it. Since Christine (her mk3 1.9tdi golf) failed her MOT spectacularly and with about 1k in the pocket to find another run around, I've been looking online for a FL1.

Does anyone have one or previously owned one? 1.8 Petrol or 2.0 diesel or Td4 lump?

I know the TD4 is the most preferred option but the cost of a decent one is out of her range. There are plenty of 1.8's that have had the HG replaced, in (look like anyway) great condition, that she would consider. Just after some peoples opinions.

Cheers,

Dan

Welcome to a world of reliability problems (diff, head gasket in particular). I've known a couple of folks with them and they've moved them on due to volume of ongoing repairs/costs.

Oh wow.

Steer her away from them as best as you can.
I had a friend with one. It was the 1.8 petrol. Cost far more in repairs than the car was worth! And the engine was underpowered and **** so was terrible on and off road. It really had no purpose or appeal

Nope, just no.. Friend had it and he regretted in buying that junk. Steer clear of land rover and range rover. I've drove range rover HSE 2009 and I wish I've never drove it.

Go for Audis :p

I used to have a Disco 1, 3.9 V8, and I LOVED every minute of it. In the year I owned it the only thing I spent money on it apart from servicing and lifting it was a set of HT leads. (I didn't replace them when I changed all of the plugs as there were new by the previous owner). Brilliant machine and I sold it to a mate who still flies around in it now and not spent a penny on it.

I know the Freelanders are notorious for breakdowns (and were voted the MOST UNRELIABLE [Land Rover] manufacturer on the road!) and I have tried my utmost to dissuade her but it's not looking good people.

However, today, whilst I was at a service garage where we take our fleet vehicles, they have in a FL 1 for sale. It's a customers car, they have known it since new and it failed an MOT on SRS light being on. No advisories either. 2003, Td4 with 116k in manual form. Took a picture to show the wife and she loves. In negotiation with the garage and owner but it looks like it could be sale.

It's had a lot of work done over the years. Almost everything has been replaced. So it's good for another 6 months use? before having to spend.

I do know that WHEN it starts costing money, Kirsty will want shot of it. SO I think I will let her buy it and say in a few months time "we all told you so!"

Some people need to learn the hard way! lol

Dan

Wouldn't touch anything wearing a Range or Land Rover badge, Shocking reliability. Known many owners and not one has had a good experience. You would honestly do better setting fire to your cash

Wouldn't touch anything wearing a Range or Land Rover badge, Shocking reliability. Known many owners and not one has had a good experience. You would honestly do better setting fire to your cash

+1
Love the cars and i would possibly have one if it weren't for the reliability problems !

Well, it's her purse and funds. :)

Que sera sera.

I've tried and failed. I'll be on the look out for an Audi A3 in the near future then! lol