Thermostat bust?

maxpayne

Reaction score
Howdy,

While on a drive back from Birmingham to London over the weekend, I noticed that the oil temperature gauge was stuck at around 72 degrees. But switched to 90 soon after hitting London and A1. Typically it’s bang on 90 when I drive in London for trips to Tesco which is what the car mostly gets used for!

This reminded me that it wasn’t the first time I would have seen this happening and I have seen this happening on motorways a few times before but it’s only been there for the last year or so - which also coincides with the car suddenly becoming a little less fuel efficient - something that I originally thought was because of an issue with the MAF because of two specific errors:

P3193 - 002 - Open Stop outside of valid range - Intermittent and
P0640 - 002 - Intermittent - Intake Air Heater Control Circuit

While these two are also likely contributors (after all bad luck comes in threes) I suspect that the thermostat is also gone? Or could it be the coolant temperature sensor also or something else?

Cheers.

Perfect traits of a failed Thermostat
No, other codes nothing to do with it, issues on their own

Reactions: maxpayne
Perfect traits of a failed Thermostat
No, other codes nothing to do with it, issues on their own

Cool (no pun intended). Apart from the thermostat and G12 (the pink fluid) anything else I need to order, e.g. seal/gasket?
Thanks.

I think it is all in the box what you need. Only use a genuine stat

Doh! Forgot to ask how many litres of G12 do I need? Does it have to be OE?

I’m being quoted £31.50 for the stat and £9.10/litre for G12.

No not sure how much but you'll lose a fair bit halfords sell it cheaper premixed or neat

ask for a parts request on here, may get it cheaper

I think the latest antifreeze is G13, at least my current bottle is.
I personally wouldn’t touch any antifreeze or thermostat that wasn’t Genuine, aftermarket antifreeze might be ok, but Genuine hardly breaks the bank .
When changing a thermostat is so fiddly on some models (it wasn’t a nice task on my BKD) then why risk an aftermarket thermostat, again Genuine was a no-brainer for me...

Always wondered whats the difference between g13 and regular pink oat antifreeze. Does it make much difference or paying the vag tax?

I think the latest antifreeze is G13, at least my current bottle is.
I personally wouldn’t touch any antifreeze or thermostat that wasn’t Genuine, aftermarket antifreeze might be ok, but Genuine hardly breaks the bank .
When changing a thermostat is so fiddly on some models (it wasn’t a nice task on my BKD) then why risk an aftermarket thermostat, again Genuine was a no-brainer for me...

Agree. Genuine thermostat is a must and I’ll get that for sure.

WRT the coolant, turns out that I need G12++, which is the last iteration of G12. G12++ is commonly referred to as G40, hence the lack of G12 results on eBay. Halfords does G40 for reasonable price it seems.

G12 and G13 can be mixed safely, no idea on G40

Vw coolants tech tip table