thermostat location?

Rob_k

Reaction score
hi guys im looking to locate the thermostat on my 1.8T 95. as i need to test it as my car kept overheating yesterday but i have no signs of the head gasket going. cheers :icon_thumright:

I will have a look through my Haynes manual tonight and give you a shout.

I think its on the water pump at the front of the engine, on the right hand side as your in front of the car.

thanks guys if you could have a gander in the manual too id appreciate it!

if anyone could help id appreciate it as i need the car for work tommorow, thanks!

The thermostat housing is on the underside of the water pump housing (right hand side of the engine as you look from the front). It's easiest to get to from underneath but unfortunately thet means you've probably got to remove the undertray.

thank you so much mate ill be up bright and early to change it then, what does the housing look like amte? pipes going to it? thanks again!

usually, if it's the same as my '98 1.8T, underneath black plastic elbow on water pump, with pipe then going up into engine bay area somewhere, becareful if yours is the same as the plastic on mine, it can be a bit brittle and break. if memory serves me right, then 2 or 3 10mm bolts.

thermostats are cheap and to be honest if you are draining coolant etc to get to it i would just put a new one in instead of testing old one, could save time and money later.

cheers guys im gonna change it now:icon_thumright: