Thick white smoke from my S3 8V

X.woos

Reaction score
Hi all
Bought my 2016 Audi s3 sport back about 3/4 months ago and have probably only put about 1k miles in it (bought it on 45k mikes).
Was driving it hard yesterday and a massive cloud of white smoke came pouring out the exhaust, couldn’t see anything out the back window. Parked up, let it cool and checked the car, discovered there was absolutely no oil, dip stick was bone dry, but the car didn’t even alert us and we checked the oil before buying the car so didn’t think the oil would drop so quick considering I’ve hardly driven it. Anyway, refilled the oil with 2litres Castrol oil and drove again, it released a small amount of white smoke and mechanic said it should be fine. Just to double check, we drove it hard again in dynamic mode & it released the same big white smoke again. Would really appreciate any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Hi all
Bought my 2016 Audi s3 sport back about 3/4 months ago and have probably only put about 1k miles in it (bought it on 45k mikes).
Was driving it hard yesterday and a massive cloud of white smoke came pouring out the exhaust, couldn’t see anything out the back window. Parked up, let it cool and checked the car, discovered there was absolutely no oil, dip stick was bone dry, but the car didn’t even alert us and we checked the oil before buying the car so didn’t think the oil would drop so quick considering I’ve hardly driven it. Anyway, refilled the oil with 2litres Castrol oil and drove again, it released a small amount of white smoke and mechanic said it should be fine. Just to double check, we drove it hard again in dynamic mode & it released the same big white smoke again. Would really appreciate any suggestions? Thank you in advance
Google results :
Many times, this thick smoke is due to the likes of a blown head gasket, damaged cylinder, or a cracked engine block, which is causing coolant to burn. Thick white exhaust smoke usually indicates a coolant leak, which could cause overheating and put your engine at a serious risk of damage

Sack your mechanic. It’s clearly not right. I would have said turbo gone or head gasket and I’m not even a mechanic.

Either way it needs investigating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: X.woos, Audi-Sport-Driver and JohnM100
It is absolutely no point going to third-party mechanics with sports cars, becuse some they know already what this issue is about, massive and can occur from more reasons.
So they really don't want to bother becuse cust expect to pay little. And mechanik will not get hands dirty for massive dirty job for little money.
What mechanics wants do is easy quick jobs and and somewhat get paid well.
So he will tell you what he told you .. ''ill be aalriiighhtt'' it sould be allriiight ..
Audi will be more than happy to do it bcos they will charge you rocket sky high prices for it.
It is best to do it yourself ..

Reactions: X.woos
As above its either a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head / block, knackered turbo.
First things first, get any garage to perform a test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

As above its either a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head / block, knackered turbo.
First things first, get any garage to perform a test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.
Thanks. Found out it’s a knackered turbo, oil leaking out of it. So annoyed as it seems the issue must’ve been there when I bought the car from the dealership. Just trying to figure out my options now.. shall I repair or shall I try take the car back

If under six months since you bought it take it back for them to repair Consumer rights , and don't let them fob you off by saying it was fine when you bought.

What are my rights after 30 days?

If a problem is found after 30 days, but within six months of purchase, you can request a repair or a replacement vehicle. The onus is on the seller of the car to prove the fault wasn’t present when it was sold; if they can, and you’re likely to have known about it, you won’t get a refund.

When it comes to repairs, the dealer has one chance to fix the fault. If the fix doesn’t work, you are entitled to a refund. You won’t get the full purchase price back, though. Any usage of the car will be taken into account and the refund will be adjusted accordingly.

Good you have found the cause. Hope the garage sorts it.

Was it 2 litres of oil to get oil level to the top of the dipstick? If so I’d be concerned about the impact of oil starvation in other parts of the engine & not just the turbo.

Hi all
Did the mechanic who told you that work for the dealer who sold you the car

Good you have found the cause. Hope the garage sorts it.

Was it 2 litres of oil to get oil level to the top of the dipstick? If so I’d be concerned about the impact of oil starvation in other parts of the engine & not just the turbo.
No, it was 2 litres to the half way point and to be fair, that’s why I haven’t driven the car for the last few days as I’m worried about causing more damage, just gutted this has happened

If under six months since you bought it take it back for them to repair Consumer rights , and don't let them fob you off by saying it was fine when you bought.

What are my rights after 30 days?

If a problem is found after 30 days, but within six months of purchase, you can request a repair or a replacement vehicle. The onus is on the seller of the car to prove the fault wasn’t present when it was sold; if they can, and you’re likely to have known about it, you won’t get a refund.

When it comes to repairs, the dealer has one chance to fix the fault. If the fix doesn’t work, you are entitled to a refund. You won’t get the full purchase price back, though. Any usage of the car will be taken into account and the refund will be adjusted accordingly.
Thanks George
I appreciate it, got a solicitor in the family too who’s pushing me to make a claim so I guess I should try with the dealership first right?

Thanks. Found out it’s a knackered turbo, oil leaking out of it. So annoyed as it seems the issue must’ve been there when I bought the car from the dealership. Just trying to figure out my options now.. shall I repair or shall I try take the car back

That doesn't entirely explain the puff of white smoke unless its leaking coolant as well as oil. Assuming its under an approved used warranty they should sort it out no question, as long as you haven't modified the car or had any work done elsewhere since you bought it.

Last edited:
Thanks George
I appreciate it, got a solicitor in the family too who’s pushing me to make a claim so I guess I should try with the dealership first right?
the onus is on them to prove it wasn't damaged before you got it and it's not exactly something you can do a visual check on or plug something into it, so they really have no way of proving it wasn't faulty when they sold it to you.

Reactions: Damo S and X.woos
the onus is on them to prove it wasn't damaged before you got it and it's not exactly something you can do a visual check on or plug something into it, so they really have no way of proving it wasn't faulty when they sold it to you.
Thanks mate
Going to address this tomorrow whilst I gather all my info

Reactions: george forbes