Things to look out for when buying 2010 b8 s4

JAAC UK

Reaction score
In the coming days I'm looking at buying a audi s4 2010 model with options such as sat navigation and drive select and s tronic gear box. Anything I have to watch out for or I can to as soon as buying it to preserver he cars life.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

In the coming days I'm looking at buying a audi s4 2010 model with options such as sat navigation and drive select and s tronic gear box. Anything I have to watch out for or I can to as soon as buying it to preserver he cars life.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I'd recommend investigating the history of the gearbox - to see if it's still on the original g'box/mechatronics, as the earlier ones are prone to problems.
If no history is available, a VCDS scan can at least help determine which revision of the gearbox is fitted (and therefore whether or not it now has the newer version).

I'd recommend investigating the history of the gearbox - to see if it's still on the original g'box/mechatronics, as the earlier ones are prone to problems.
If no history is available, a VCDS scan can at least help determine which revision of the gearbox is fitted (and therefore whether or not it now has the newer version).
What if the dealer refuses me plugging stuff in on their car, which is likely.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Maybe just ask them to provide the info as part of the history request - they can get it from a scan themselves, if needs be
Thanks mate. Anything else. Gearbox servicing, also heard something about water pump.

Reactions: TechNick
I'm not sure if the S4 engine was affected by the oil consumption issue but sure others more knowledgeable on here can tell you.

My 2010 A4 was affected and luckily Audi covered the full cost to fix it. However others haven't been so lucky so deffo worth checking prior to purchase

I've had my 2010 s4 for nearly a year now so here's a few things to consider:
*Oil consumption and leaks can be an issue on these. They do use oil and driving styles can effect it. Leaks tend to come from the rocker gaskets and timing chain covers. The oil consumption can normally be reduced with the updated pcv repair kit and changing to a thicker oil i.e 5w40.
*Mine has had the water pump recall done but I noticed it was still using a small amount of water so I changed the pump and it's been fine since. Whilst doing this I changed the charger belt and aux belt with the tensioners and idlers as well as the crank pulley. Search crank pulley failure and you'll see why it's best to do it as a precaution rather than wait for it to fail.
* Thermostat. I haven't changed this yet but I have heard its a case of when it goes rather than if it goes so I guess this should be on your list as well.
*Suspension. I just have the sports suspension with no ADS but both my rear shocks were leaking, they were the originals though.
Other than that's it's just the usual stuff. Mines a manual so I can't comment on the DSG but I have read some horror stories so definitely make sure it doesn't have any issues. Enjoy

I hate having to make the comments about the DL501 again and again because its all about unknown risks. Have a search for my comments in other threads. Whilst there are happy owners of 2009/10 cars with s-tronic, there are also some very unhappy ones. The risks are clearly lower in 2011/12 cars and possible gone (TBC) in 2013+ cars.

I hate having to make the comments about the DL501 again and again because its all about unknown risks. Have a search for my comments in other threads. Whilst there are happy owners of 2009/10 cars with s-tronic, there are also some very unhappy ones. The risks are clearly lower in 2011/12 cars and possible gone (TBC) in 2013+ cars.
So its literally a gamble buying a s-tron s4 on a 09-10 plate

Not necessarily, it may have already had repair work done to it. Mines a early 11 plate s-tronic for reference on 89k and haven't had any issues apart from a very small oil leak on the vacuum pump cover