Think I've messed up...help please.

andy.l

Reaction score
My rear O/S door would not lock when arming the alarm on my car. I traced it down to a faulty locking mech in the door so bought another to replace it. I fitted the replacement and hey presto it locks again. Problem is now it won't open from either outside or inside the car. I'm thinking that the child lock tab was in between settings and now neither side of the handle can activate it??

If this is correct can someone give me some advice as to how to fix this please?

Thanks

Andy

It will probably be child locked from the previous owner, and you've forgot to reattach the outer door handle. I've made that mistake before on a mk4 and had to rip the door card off so I could get the inner door skin off.

I reattached the outer handle via the small white clip and bar etc. But yes Im thinking the replacement locking mech is in the wrong situ because even with the child lock on I should be able to open it from outside. I did try getting the door card off but with the door locked it didn't budge much :(

Pull the door card off then you should be able to unlock the door you might need new door card but it's
Better then a new door

Should be possible to take the door card off without destroying it even with the door locked. Did the same thing on an Audi A2.

I would be tempted to take the other rear door in bits so you can see exactly how it all works, then if possible you may be able to tell if you could possibly use a metal coat hanger (or similar) down the window and try to work the door mechanism. I'd rather spend half a day at it rather than destroy anything.
Good luck with whatever you try mate