Thinking of buying an A4 170 TDi Avant - Suggestions please

theo289

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was previously a member on here with my Audi A3 which i sold for a BMW 325d. After selling the BMW, i purchased an Impreza WRX STI which is an absolutely amazing car however the commuting to work, having to travel around the UK is not good at all for the car and its economy!

Thinking of selling the scooby now and getting a 2007 A4 Avant Estate S-Line 170 TDi - possible mods for it are revo remap, revo air intake, H&R Springs....any suggestions?

Anybody on here got an A4 and have any recommendations of what to look out for etc?

Appreciate all the help :)

Tom

Hi All,

Was previously a member on here with my Audi A3 which i sold for a BMW 325d. After selling the BMW, i purchased an Impreza WRX STI which is an absolutely amazing car however the commuting to work, having to travel around the UK is not good at all for the car and its economy!

Thinking of selling the scooby now and getting a 2007 A4 Avant Estate S-Line 170 TDi - possible mods for it are revo remap, revo air intake, H&R Springs....any suggestions?

Anybody on here got an A4 and have any recommendations of what to look out for etc?

Appreciate all the help :)

Tom

Hi Tom

2007 would make it a B7 model as B8 didn't start till 2008 so you might want to post this under the B7 Section as well.
I had a 57 plate 2.0TDi 170 Quattro from new, make sure you drive a few as I hated it, the worst Audi I've had by far!
MPG was shocking even by usually Audi standards, averaged 32-34 and the power delivery was awful - worst than other diesel I've had.
Just my opinion and may be a lot better when tuned. if funds allow I would go the 3.0 much better engine and not much in the MPG

Hi Tom

2007 would make it a B7 model as B8 didn't start till 2008 so you might want to post this under the B7 Section as well.
I had a 57 plate 2.0TDi 170 Quattro from new, make sure you drive a few as I hated it, the worst Audi I've had by far!
MPG was shocking even by usually Audi standards, averaged 32-34 and the power delivery was awful - worst than other diesel I've had.
Just my opinion and may be a lot better when tuned. if funds allow I would go the 3.0 much better engine and not much in the MPG

Easily confused between the B7/ B8 :)

Appreciate the response..did you drive many of the A4? is that from one experience of the car :)

Thanks!

I work with someone who has a B7 TDi Quattro Avant and he has had it mapped and he loves it .... maybe it was just a bad one ? but do make sure what ever you are going to buy you have a good test drive ... not the normal round the block crap :)

Easily confused between the B7/ B8 :)

Appreciate the response..did you drive many of the A4? is that from one experience of the car :)

Thanks!

Only drove one 2.0 170 so yes, could have been a bad one, but had the car 12 months and covered 12K miles
after a very long battle I got Audi UK to exchange the car!

I've had many A4s (7 in fact) ranging from B5-B8.5, had 2.0Tdi in 140 & 170 both non-quattro and quattro
also had 3.0TDi and now on my second S4 (first was B6 V8) so my opinion is based on my personal experience.

If you could fund it, the 3.0 is worth it!

Happy hunting mate

Reactions: scotty76
I've had 2 diesel A4 Avant's, one a 143 B8 auto, and the other a B8.5 177 Quattro (and a B6 S4), and I'll tell you now, unless Audi up their game with fuel economy, I wouldn't buy another new-ish Audi diesel. The 143 only averaged 40 mpg, and the 177 around 35. Battled with Audi from the day I got it (brand new), until 3 months later when they bought it back (at a reasonable loss to me). But I'm glad I got shot of it. I bought the car for decent mpg, and they just don't return it. In my experience.

Now, don't get me wrong, they were nice enough cars. Nice enough specs, nice enough places to sit, and drove ok. Not particularly quick, but not painfully slow either. So I wouldn't hold it against anyone who does like them. BUT, I did get around the same (slightly better) fuel economy out my mapped BMW 335d. It wasn't as nice a place to sit as the Black Edition B5.5, but it drove nicer, had LOTS more power, better satnav, and looked ok (not as nice as the A4). If BMW can do it with a 6 cylinder diesel with 2 turbos, why can Audi only do it with a 4 pot 2 litre? And for that reason, I couldn't bring myself to go for the 3.0 Audi either. It couldn't be as economical as their 2 litre, which wasn't as economical as BMW's 3 litre.

It depends on what you REALLY want out the car though. The 170 Quattro will be better on fuel that the scooby, and a more refined place to sit. But if you want power AND economy, you're looking at the wrong Germans.

Ive got a 170 TDi and find it great! Lots of power and always see 40+mpg when i do a small trip but when i go 20-30 miles to Cambridge and in i see 45! If i boot it i can see 30-35. Just how you drive i guess.

Im going to get my revo mapped so ill see how it goes then!

BTW mines done 125k and its a 10 plate! Drives like new!

I have a B8 170 avant and was disappointed with the performance and economy when I bought it. I was struggling to get much over 40mpg and it was flat as hell power wise. Had it remapped and it totally transformed the car - average 42mpg and can get 50mpg on a run. Also I don't have to wind it up anymore to overtake other vehicles.