Thinking of getting a quattro

joedredd

2009 S4 just love it
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

I was going to spend some money on current car (see sig) and do the usual ECU for more bhp, but I am now considering getting something slightly newer, less mileage but 4WD.

Can anyone give me some pointers what to look out for on an A6 quattro estate? It will be a 2001 2.5tdi 180bhp sport.

adamss I will be guessing you can give me a few answers :sm4:

The usual, make shure all the electrics work, the car pulls clean and the clutch does not slip and avoid ones on longlife intervals. They are quite slow off the line but they stretch their legs on motorway. Imagine a fat balerina and you will know what i mean. Quattro is great but you cannot bend the laws of physics- they wont stop as well as they grip ! Everything is similar to the one you have bar the multilink independent suspension on the rear and the extra weight...

How can I tell if it is on a longlife interval?
Re stopping is that why you upgraded the brakes on your A4 Chris?

The v6 tdi will have 312mm front brakes as standard and the rear discs are unique to the a6 avant quattro. I reckon 312mm are more than plenty for the size of our cars and if it has ESP it will also have an improved braking system with a bigger servo. I fitted big brakes on mine as i am running a bit more than stock 180Bhp(used to be a 150Bhp from factory !) but i had 312mm prior to that and they were perfectly adeqvate for the size of the car. Mine has an older ABS system and not silly traction control gizmos. I was driving a friend of mine 180Bhp a6 quattro avant and i found that it does not pull as hard as mine even though the weights were similar. The big advantage of the big brakes is that they dont fade from repeated braking from high speeds, thats the only reason i am running the brembo's. I do allways upgrade the car handling first then take care of the engine...some folks do it the other way round ! By the way, are you selling the H&R's ? I might be interested for a decent price...i could swap you a full lowering kit as well (1BE lowered factory sports suspension) to help sell the car !

Read trough the service book. If the service intervals are higher than 10 K i would walk away ! You could also ask for the option codes from the factory sticker(in the service book or in the spare wheel well) and decode it on the web, google igorweb ...

The v6 tdi will have 312mm front brakes as standard and the rear discs are unique to the a6 avant quattro. I reckon 312mm are more than plenty for the size of our cars and if it has ESP it will also have an improved braking system with a bigger servo. I fitted big brakes on mine as i am running a bit more than stock 180Bhp(used to be a 150Bhp from factory !) but i had 312mm prior to that and they were perfectly adeqvate for the size of the car. Mine has an older ABS system and not silly traction control gizmos. I was driving a friend of mine 180Bhp a6 quattro avant and i found that it does not pull as hard as mine even though the weights were similar. The big advantage of the big brakes is that they dont fade from repeated braking from high speeds, thats the only reason i am running the brembo's. I do allways upgrade the car handling first then take care of the engine...some folks do it the other way round ! By the way, are you selling the H&R's ? I might be interested for a decent price...i could swap you a full lowering kit as well (1BE lowered factory sports suspension) to help sell the car !

We might be able to do a deal on the H&Rs, let me sort a few things out. What lowering kit is it you are offering? I will see if this quattro is any good and let you know.