Thinking of purchasing a car from the Dark Side!

ianv5

Reaction score
Sorry for this post but thinking of purchasing a BMW M3 E46 for the weekends /investment, thoughts?

Never the best thread to post on an Audi forum hah :D

I had a 330d before I went for my A4 and to be fair it never missed a beat. Was one of the best cars I ever owned and cost me only £750 in none-service repairs for the entire 180,000 miles I owned it. Unfortunately I live on the outskirts of the Peak District so when it snows, it snows, A LOT! Although only 10 days a year it was the biggest pain in the rear and a lot if hassle. Having moved to a Quattro A4 it'd be hard to go back.

I did contemplate switching the OH's A6 Avant in for a 5 Series Touring until it snowed a few weeks ago...in the 5 I'd have never of got out - in the A4 I drove up the hill no probs.

If you're buying it for a weekend car then go for it in my opinion if you've got the money to play with - proper M cars will always have a place in any petrolhead. If you're buying for an investment I wouldn't be so sure..it's only the likes of the E46 CSL which hold their money - a bog standard one will lose money like any other car.

Reactions: ianv5
I had an E46 M3. Nice cars. Be wary of subframe issues, the power they produced caused them to form tears in the subframe. BMW were repairing them under a goodwill gesture if unmodified and under 10 years old.

As for investment, I doubt it, the are not the same as the E30 which was iconic. The CSL on the other hand is an investment but their prices reflect this.

Thanks Csl out of my price range already.

CSL was an awesome bit of kit having been a passenger several times but they are silly money now.

E46 M3 is a super bit of kit. Love driving my brothers as it's so much fun. Only criticism is it's a bit too refined and very easy to stray into licence losing territory.

If it breaks it can be expensive. Having to pull the motor on my brothers after it threw a rod, which is almost unheard of.

I wouldn't call it an investment either. Just think of it as your w/e toy, keep it for years and the depreciation won't hurt so much.