Thinking of selling the Audi for a Octavia VRS

redspudder

Sparky
Reaction score
As per title but i just dont know if i can do it.I love my B8 but recently it has become a little impracticle due to the size of the boot.We are going on holiday next month so we got the cases out of the loft to try in the boot and i could only fit x2 caeses in the boot with barely any space left for the pushchair(we have x2 cases and a large barrel type bag to take this year the bag will have to go inbetween kids on back seat).As my kids get older we are going to need to take more luggage but this will be the last year with my youngest in a pushchair.I have also taken up golf and fit my own gear in fine but if i give someone a lift then im struggling (although this isnt a reason to sell).Im just a bit miffed with the boot space,from day 1 i asked the question why on earth did they fill in the voids behind the wheel arches?In my old B6 this was left open the pushchair fit in sideways like a glove with the B8 on a full load i have to really force the pushchair in to get it in sideways.We also go to a caravan park (static caravan) 2 or 3 times a year again this problem is going to come up but not as much as we dont take cases just a couple of big bags.Also the leg room behind my drivers seat is a bit of a problem as i sit quite far back.Now this all seems negative but i do love my B8 and apart from the dealer issues ive loved every second ive owned it detailed it every week its my pride and joy but the boot space issue is causing me a problem from a family point of view.I have thought about A6 or A5 sportback but id be ploughing a lot more money into buy one of these.So i started looking at other options and decided a hatchback maybe the best option,Insignia no thanks Mondeo no thanks so i came to Octavia VRS,my mate has a 56plate so came round the other night and cases fit fine infact i could easily get x4 cases in plus the pushchair and that was without even taking the parcel shelf out.Ive been to test drive a brand new VRS 2.0Tdi 170 and it certainly seems well built and is the same engine as my B8 although 170bhp.They also have offer of no VAt to pay 3years free servicing and £500 towards my deposit,i was offered a little less P/Ex than i wanted for the B8 but the deal isnt a million miles away from what i would accept and i recon i could if i pushed them get the deal i want.Also this deal would mean i still pay the same per month as i do now for the B8,i have 2years left to pay on the B8,but would take the VRS over 3years at the same monthly payment(if i can get a little more out of the deal)
But here is my problem,im not being a snob here (it may seem that way)but the Skoda badge is still a Skoda badge but i know a lot has changed with them in the last few years especially now VAG owned,so im just after a little advice from the forum on what you guys think,i dont mind the VRS but i dont love it and my worry is i will regret buying it but on the other side i realise the B8 is becoming a little impracticle for my families needs.My mate told me he was the same as always owned golf Gti ect but loves the VRS and has never looked back.

Sorry for the long drawn out post

You'll never be accepted on the golf course with a Skoda...........:):) Joking.

As far as i understand it you are buying the same quality car but bigger and alot cheaper so if you can see past the badge thing go for it, Skoda have came along way and build quality cars but they are cheaper becuase of the badge and this will always be the case. I don't have a problem with Skoda's and i like the sporty VRS, however i do prefer the B8 more (but i only have 1 child).

Stu

As per title but i just dont know if i can do it.I love my B8 but recently it has become a little impracticle due to the size of the boot.We are going on holiday next month so we got the cases out of the loft to try in the boot and i could only fit x2 caeses in the boot with barely any space left for the pushchair(we have x2 cases and a large barrel type bag to take this year the bag will have to go inbetween kids on back seat).As my kids get older we are going to need to take more luggage but this will be the last year with my youngest in a pushchair.I have also taken up golf and fit my own gear in fine but if i give someone a lift then im struggling (although this isnt a reason to sell).Im just a bit miffed with the boot space,from day 1 i asked the question why on earth did they fill in the voids behind the wheel arches?In my old B6 this was left open the pushchair fit in sideways like a glove with the B8 on a full load i have to really force the pushchair in to get it in sideways.We also go to a caravan park (static caravan) 2 or 3 times a year again this problem is going to come up but not as much as we dont take cases just a couple of big bags.Also the leg room behind my drivers seat is a bit of a problem as i sit quite far back.Now this all seems negative but i do love my B8 and apart from the dealer issues ive loved every second ive owned it detailed it every week its my pride and joy but the boot space issue is causing me a problem from a family point of view.I have thought about A6 or A5 sportback but id be ploughing a lot more money into buy one of these.So i started looking at other options and decided a hatchback maybe the best option,Insignia no thanks Mondeo no thanks so i came to Octavia VRS,my mate has a 56plate so came round the other night and cases fit fine infact i could easily get x4 cases in plus the pushchair and that was without even taking the parcel shelf out.Ive been to test drive a brand new VRS 2.0Tdi 170 and it certainly seems well built and is the same engine as my B8 although 170bhp.They also have offer of no VAt to pay 3years free servicing and £500 towards my deposit,i was offered a little less P/Ex than i wanted for the B8 but the deal isnt a million miles away from what i would accept and i recon i could if i pushed them get the deal i want.Also this deal would mean i still pay the same per month as i do now for the B8,i have 2years left to pay on the B8,but would take the VRS over 3years at the same monthly payment(if i can get a little more out of the deal)
But here is my problem,im not being a snob here (it may seem that way)but the Skoda badge is still a Skoda badge but i know a lot has changed with them in the last few years especially now VAG owned,so im just after a little advice from the forum on what you guys think,i dont mind the VRS but i dont love it and my worry is i will regret buying it but on the other side i realise the B8 is becoming a little impracticle for my families needs.My mate told me he was the same as always owned golf Gti ect but loves the VRS and has never looked back.

Sorry for the long drawn out post
Is there a question here !!

i was thinking of a VRS but the local dealer was a total hole who didn't bother himself to set me up w/ a test drive - total apathy like i was interrupting his cup of tea. so he lost them £27k :-D
i got the brochures, the Skoda seemed specced up to the eyeballs, but didn't looks as nice (INO) as the Audi, and the emissions were quite a bit higher so check the tax rating. the tailgate idea is clever but perhaps just potentially something else to go wrong?

personally, obviously i suppose, wait until a test drive to decide.
also, i'd get rid of the kids before the car :-D

Right I'm going to be totally honest with you now, I traded in my B7 S4 avant for a newer petrol vrs. I did this for purely financial reasons, the S was costing me nearly £500 a month in fuel and for the amount of time I used it (I work away) it just wasn't worth keeping so I looked at all the options. I needed an estate and wanted something that was reliable and quickish so I bought an Octy vrs from Skoda and had nothing but bother with it from day one.

Positives
Big boot, pretty good to drive but a bit soft in corners, great engine, plenty of room for 4 adults.

Negatives
Very unreliable - new ecu needed, new rear wiper motor needed, complete air con system needed, paintwork needed attention, used a lot of oil, front drivers seat needed a new bolster (and no I do not weigh 30 stone), really poor service from my local dealer, build quality not as good as other vag brands.

I may have been unlucky and I do appreciate that you seem to get a lot for your money but I wouldn't buy another one.

I think Saloons, whilst they look lovely, are just not practical cars. I have an Accord ESGT, great car but the boot is so restrictive, my old Focus ST was a more practical car.Thats why I have the A4 Avant on order,it might be an age thing, but i really seem to enjoy having the space to lug crap around!

Hatch or estate from now on, i'll never have a saloon again unless we become a 3 car family, and the saloon is a M5, and missus gets a Q7 and I get nice 911 in the garage............i better wake up lol.

Just get a roof box...job done. Or a b7, can fit 2 big cases, a buggy and a couple of small cases in the boot...

Good point, we use the boot for our 2 labs and a roof box for luggage when we holiday over here.

Just get a roof box...job done. Or a b7, can fit 2 big cases, a buggy and a couple of small cases in the boot...

worth a look at a B7 but not sure if i would be happy buying an older car,but that said if i sold the B8 and bought a B7 i wouldnt have a finance monthly payment so worth the thought cheers ill see if i can get some boot dimensions from a B7.
The other option of a roof box ill look into that too,obviously i would need a roof rack are these universal or do i have to buy from Audi??Daft question but are roof boxes secured I.E are they bolted on the roof rack or with a lock?Just thinking if i leave car at airport whilst on holiday could someone have the roofbox away obviously the car park SHOULD be secure!

worth a look at a B7 but not sure if i would be happy buying an older car,but that said if i sold the B8 and bought a B7 i wouldnt have a finance monthly payment so worth the thought cheers ill see if i can get some boot dimensions from a B7.
The other option of a roof box ill look into that too,obviously i would need a roof rack are these universal or do i have to buy from Audi??Daft question but are roof boxes secured I.E are they bolted on the roof rack or with a lock?Just thinking if i leave car at airport whilst on holiday could someone have the roofbox away obviously the car park SHOULD be secure!

You can buy a roof rack from Audi but they're a bit steep, I have a Thule system that I bought new from eBay for less than £100 and it's very good.
Both my rack and box are lockable but I'd imagine if someone really wanted it they could get it off. If you're leaving it on the car at the airport just take the box off, seats down and it will fit in the boot!

not thought of an A4 avant?
Avants are not much better.The slanted back seat takes up a hell of a lot of space where cases are concerned, and the raked rear screen.I can get three large suitcases in only if i drop the small split seat.Its a real push for the three of us to go on hols.Three cases and three cabin cases = split seat down and a cabin case next to the rear passenger.No probs in an old xantia that i used to drive.If its only for a few days, you could try renting another more suitable motor, and keep the audi.

Avants are not much better.The slanted back seat takes up a hell of a lot of space where cases are concerned, and the raked rear screen.I can get three large suitcases in only if i drop the small split seat.Its a real push for the three of us to go on hols.Three cases and three cabin cases = split seat down and a cabin case next to the rear passenger.No probs in an old xantia that i used to drive.If its only for a few days, you could try renting another more suitable motor, and keep the audi.

Cheers Johnny

You can buy a roof rack from Audi but they're a bit steep, I have a Thule system that I bought new from eBay for less than £100 and it's very good.
Both my rack and box are lockable but I'd imagine if someone really wanted it they could get it off. If you're leaving it on the car at the airport just take the box off, seats down and it will fit in the boot!

I have been looking at roof bars its a bit of a mine field,again maybe a stupid question but how do they fit to the saloon?Im guessing they are all foam/rubber protected to fix to the car??

Not sure exactly but the Thule website gives you fitting instructions for all of their racks.

Considered a Superb? We were looking at them before buying the Audi but for an Estate in the spec we were looking at it was just too expensive. You'll stuggle to run out of space in one of those, they are huge!

I find the boot quite restrictive aswell in the A4 and i don't think there's really anymore space than my Leon, infact i reckon i'd probably have got more in my Leon, we got 3 cases (different sizes) and various other bags and a buggy in when we went on holiday last year.

Its all about the extras, carbon trims, exclusive leather, heated seats, xenons, etc. Or better engine options..

The roof bars attach via a clamp/bracket with rubber feet on the roof. I got ex display original Audi bars for a great price, and then a roof box from halfords,which attaches securely. Can't see the need for an estate personally, the saloon gives you enough on a day to day basis. Get the box out once or twice a year...

Considered a Superb? We were looking at them before buying the Audi but for an Estate in the spec we were looking at it was just too expensive. You'll stuggle to run out of space in one of those, they are huge!

I find the boot quite restrictive aswell in the A4 and i don't think there's really anymore space than my Leon, infact i reckon i'd probably have got more in my Leon, we got 3 cases (different sizes) and various other bags and a buggy in when we went on holiday last year.

Not really into a superb,last year when we went on holiday it wasnt an issue as i left the Audi at home and took the wifes Focus everything fit fine in her car i just left the parcel shelf at home(it was just a dog to drive and shat on petrol)but we down sized in January and bought her a Fiesta thats why this problem has come to light i cant believe im even having to have all this hassle,i have been looking at roof bars and will ring Audi today for a price see if they have any used type ones at a cheap price,I'm going to look at another garage tomorrow at prices for P/ex the B8 against a new VRS as the first garage were a little short on figures compared to what i want to pay.

Its all about the extras, carbon trims, exclusive leather, heated seats, xenons, etc. Or better engine options..

The roof bars attach via a clamp/bracket with rubber feet on the roof. I got ex display original Audi bars for a great price, and then a roof box from halfords,which attaches securely. Can't see the need for an estate personally, the saloon gives you enough on a day to day basis. Get the box out once or twice a year...

My main issue with a B7 is i would want to stick with diesel and arent those engines the old PD type and be a bit noisy compared to my current CR engine(its what you get used to) and this is just my opinion but for me they didnt really change a great deal from a B6 to a B7 apart from front and rear end the cabin is near enough the same car hence the reason when i moved the B6 on i stuck my neck out a little moe than i wanted to in terms of cash and bought the B8.

I think you would regret swapping your Audi for a Skoda,you may like it at first but everytime you see a B8 on the road you would wish you hadn't changed.
I would borrow your mates Skoda to go on holiday,or buy a roofrack.
Once an Audi driver always an Audi driver.

In my experience, the B8 is the bigger car in the compact exec range, its certainly bigger than my current gen Accord, and the Merc c, and BMW 3'er.If you want sheer space and a premium feel, the skoda superb is the car to get, or a Q7 lol.