Thinking of upgrading from my A1 1.4 to S1 - Help please

pop80_uk

Reaction score
Hey all

I need your help, advice and opinions please.

I have a 2014 A1 1.4 COD TFSI SLINE Black Edition, its low mileage and a a very nice car, but we could do with 5 doors and my current A1 is 5 doors.

The only other A1 I would consider is the S1, but here is my dilemma and thoughts.

For a 2014 S1 I will need to shell out £17 - £18000, is it worth it? Is the S1 really £6000 better than my A1?

I read alot about clutches going, the S1 I am looking at has 26,000 miles on the clock, would I be asking for trouble? How much is a new clutch? How long do they last?

I think the only other car I might consider is the Kia Ceed GT 201BHP, has anyone drove both and S1 and this? Which is better?

Many thanks in advance!

Hey all

I need your help, advice and opinions please.

I have a 2014 A1 1.4 COD TFSI SLINE Black Edition, its low mileage and a a very nice car, but we could do with 5 doors and my current A1 is 5 doors.

The only other A1 I would consider is the S1, but here is my dilemma and thoughts.

For a 2014 S1 I will need to shell out £17 - £18000, is it worth it? Is the S1 really £6000 better than my A1?

I read alot about clutches going, the S1 I am looking at has 26,000 miles on the clock, would I be asking for trouble? How much is a new clutch? How long do they last?

I think the only other car I might consider is the Kia Ceed GT 201BHP, has anyone drove both and S1 and this? Which is better?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi, a year ago I traded my 64 plate 1.4 tsfi black edition for a 64 plate S1 -worth every penny, it drives like a completely different car.

Reactions: pop80_uk
I think clutches are only an issue in the following circumstances:
  1. You mod the car and go for bhp gains - then the OEM clutch might start to struggle depending upon your driving style - that said, I've had a DTUK box on mine since July last year an no issue to date.
  2. You like to launch at traffic light grand prix starts - I don't do this, never have. The S1 acceleration has beat anything that's pulled up alongside to date without the need to kill the clutch.
An improved organic/sintered clutch, with labour etc is around £1k I think

I think clutches are only an issue in the following circumstances:
  1. You mod the car and go for bhp gains - then the OEM clutch might start to struggle depending upon your driving style - that said, I've had a DTUK box on mine since July last year an no issue to date.
  2. You like to launch at traffic light grand prix starts - I don't do this, never have. The S1 acceleration has beat anything that's pulled up alongside to date without the need to kill the clutch.
An improved organic/sintered clutch, with labour etc is around £1k I think

Thank you

How long should the standard clutch last?

Also another question, does the S1 come with LED and XENON HID lights as standard like my SLINE BLACK EDITION

Last? I guess it depends on how you drive, mine is on 17k and no issues so far (touch wood). Hard driving or lots of gear changes as opposed to motorway driving will all have an impact on the durability of the clutch.

As for the light question - I'm not sure, mine has these but to be sure I'd take a look at the Audi website and look at the S1 configurator and see what is standard ;)

Without doubt the S1 is a big step up from a 1.4 COD, and definitely worth the extra money.

As noted above, check the Audi website and see what the latest standard spec is for the S1 (I would suggest it will differ from a 2014 spec car, but it would be a starting point - also check the Audi used section). Good luck.

Ok, so I bit the bullet

Hope I have done the right thing.

Late 2014 S1 Sportback in blue with 25,600 miles on the clock, pick it up next week.

From the limited test drive the clutch seemed ok, but I have to admit to being very worried about the clutch going.

One female owner from new, what do you think the chances are of getting another 10 - 20,000 miles without changing the clutch?

The car is stock.

Thanks

Congrats on the new purchase. I think it is crazy that a clutch should go before 100k, but reading this forum does make you think. I suppose it’s anyones guess as to when it will need replaced. Fingers crossed our S1 holds out until we look at changing it in the near future.

I do think the clutch issues depend on two major factors (leaving aside random mechanical failures), modding and boosting the bhp/torque obviously; but also the way we drive the S1. For instance accelerating in high gears (5 and 6th) rather than changing down as you would have been taught have got to make an impact. As does, launches at traffic lights etc....