Thinkware F770 Dual Dash cam

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Few days ago I have installed a Thinkware F770 Dual dash cam in my A6 Avant and today morning noticed something bizare: pink sky on footage.
First thought I had that, I have traveled further, to another planet, than to work.
Now, I think it may be something with settings.

Seen other videos cameras taking and even drove on live view but nothing like that was there.

Was that only in this light or will it be due to settings?
8afd750bc41c79910a1fd251e79feb75.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Is guess settings but it's strange how the white building Infront isn't the same colour. Do you have a tinted sun strip at all?

Is guess settings but it's strange how the white building Infront isn't the same colour. Do you have a tinted sun strip at all?
I do but this is well below the strip.
Camera sits just beneath rear view mirror.
9bf1688afa774f5acbc53e799fb96aae.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

I see looks well clear of the sun strip. Does the lens have a coating on it or anything like a protective sticky?

I did just do a quick Google and found a page listing dash cams and their pros and cons and one mentioned having a purple hue which was down to the white balance being off. For the camera in the example a firmware update was required.

Reactions: KrisKrk
All protective film have been removed from both cameras.
Will check if there's an firmware upgrade available. Thank you mate.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
Another thing I have noticed since the install and cannot figure out is lack of parking mode.
Soon as I take the key out if the ignition, cameras go off.
All parking mode settings are on with sensitivity high, I get nothing.
I leave my car in underground parking lot and at work on the public road, surely any type of video would've been saved, no?
To top it all, if I stop the car for say quick shop and come back to it even 20 minutes later, cameras will not get on. No gps light comes on.
I understand buffer time from first start is about 15 seconds to get all going but it is getting silly.

Camera is hardwired with red wire to constant power feed and yellow to ignition switched, as all wiring instructions I have came across.
I have however, seen a yt video where a guy recommend to wire yellow to constant and red to ignition.
Dont understand it now.
Something is somewhere wrong.
Don't think the camera would be faulty but will email the seller if they can advise.

Still on a lookout for a firmware update

Sent from H P20 PRO

Some info on the pinkness here:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/pink-highlights.36358/

Have a look through the F770 DCT forum for wiring issues

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/f770.209/
Thank you

Managed to find and download the firmware upgrade file. Don't know if it's latest to the one in the camera but will check the current version first.
Will keep it on the second memory card, if it needs to be updated.

Also, checked the videos of previous journeys and majority of them had a some disturbance while playback. After 15-20 seconds of every footage, 1/3-1/2 of the screen at the bottom have intermittent lines across. Comes and goes every so and often and not right from the start of the video.
Playback of the same video on the phone, while connected to camera or downloaded don't have that.
Took the memory card home and fiddle with videos on the pc. AllPlayer and VLC players playback all playable videos with that error. Some of them also jump between frames like the playback is not continuous.

After downloading the Thinkware PC viewer, videos with problem are played back clean and with no errors/lines.
Confused here a bit ?

PC viewer also allowed me to open/playback all files on the card where video players would not, after few old videos been played back.

Connected the phone to the camera and wanted to check video recording settings. All was off or on very low.
Set it all as I wanted and just in the moment app was uploading all settings to the camera, camera got disconnected and app crashed.
Reconnected it again and settings were still off. Wtf?
Think I need to restore it to factory settings and see from there.

Another silly thing happened.
That pink sky got self cured after time change.
After install, cameras were set with time zone 00:00 but it was 1hour behind with real time. Figured it out 2-3 days after the install, when discovered that pink sky.
As I set the time correctly and review the videos from before and after the time change, pink sky was no longer there.
All videos after that time set were fine, as for normal sky.

I have contacted seller and explained all malarkey with it and they are happy to take the camera for testing/fault finding.
I have been however asked to contact their distributor tech support to try and resolve the issues with lack of parking mode and everything else. If this doesn't help, I will send the camera for testing and wait for the results.
If any fault found, solution will be offered and shipping fee refund arranged.
Think I will push them for a new camera.

Due to call the tech support in the morning as they are open 8:30am-5:30pm.

Looked through videos and wiring recommendations on the hard wire kit, and it is not advised to use any fuses responsible for vehicle security features.
Fuses I have used were spare/empty and for the equipment my car hasn't got from factory.
Colour codded wires used to the diagram of the fuse box.
According to this, I should have no problems with wiring and parking mode should've record, as intended.
For some reason it doesn't, in any set mode.
Now I am confused.com
565f2d26ea9a260c6c0602da60510f4d.jpg
33b92ccbf8edb6467c106ad044ded970.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Spoken today morning with UK Thinkware distributor's tech support.
Great guy. Advised and explained it all to me.

Wiring instructions and recommendations which are available everywhere, for hardwiring the cameras are wrong.
Red cable should be ignition switched and yellow constant.
This is 99% cause for lack of parking mode.

As for pink sky, it looks like the cera might be faulty and even himself, distributor tech support wanted to swap it over for a new one.
As I already spoken to the seller and discussed that with them, I will return the camera to the seller for a brand new replacement.
Will even get a refund on shipping fee due to fault and problems encountered.

Soon as I'll get back new one, will test it report back.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
Camera arrived when it should, that time and it was up and running in no time.
Wiring adjusted so the parking mode was enabled.
I was happy that it got sorted.

Dropped the car off to the garage for some work and came back home, with thought to check the footage.
Took the memory card off and the camera started to go crazy again
Thinkware 32gb memory card was showing only 1gb after the format and camera started to reboot every 1 minute.

Both issues reported to UK's main Thinkware distributor tech support and got the card replaced with another one FOC.

Currently awaiting another new camera to be sent out, as I have returned the one with fault to the distributor.

Place I got it from, wanted money for the replacement to be shipped out, which would've been credited back when return would arrived.

Getting fed up with this whole malarky I have to go through. On top of that, getting anxious as leaving for over 2000 mile round trip Thursday morning and have no camera.
Whole point of me getting it was, so I will have it while there.

Will check the car battery to eliminate potential fault, if I'll get the camera with "no fault" report.
Hope it is ok and it wouldn't cause such error.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Thinkware UK distributor got back to me saying, the camera is fine, no problemo.

They have suspected a drop of voltage every minute by 4-5volts.
After bench testing and imitating the fault, they have confirmed that it would be it.

Bren recommended to change the lower points but I suspect the battery.
Will need to go to tested and replaced asap.

Sent from H P20 PRO

A lot has happened since my last post.

Camera kept on restarting and going into error mode right on the system start up.

Went to test the battery and it resulted as good but needing a good charge.
As that was just before my over 2k miles trip holiday, I had the battery tested after half of that milage, expecting it to be charged by then.
Turned out that alternator wasn't producing enough charge and a battery change wouldn't do much. Faulty alternator could damage the new battery and I would come back to square one.

Sourced the voltage regulator for the alternator and had it swapped over. Rather spend £50 and £40 for the replacement service to try and resolve the issue than jumping the guns and spending £400-£450 on the new alternator.
Values of the charge have increased but didn't noticed any major changes on the battery voltage and the camera was still behaving as it was.

Over two nights in one weekend, I had a battery charged up by the charger and went to test it again.
Battery was much, much better and I could see the improvement after voltage regulator replacement.
This didn't sorted the camera either.

Turned to some bloke who advertised online with mobile diagnostic/scanning services and had the car looked over.
Engine was perfect, all electrical components fine and battery health good.
This guy was even surprised that, even for a 9 year old battery, I have managed to pull up it's charge and it is still in good shape. It does need replacing at some point but he recons, this state would have nothing to do with the camera.
Alternator also been checked on crank voltage and general output, turning out to be good.
Camera wiring have been terminated properly and avoiding CAN system so no power drops were detected.

This concluded my searches: car had nothing to do with camera behaviour and it must've been the camera fault again.

Started to think about the camera and when it does the loop restart.
Whenever I was in the underground parking lot, camera was fine, recording perfectly even on parking mode and allowing me to connect with the app on my phone.
If I drove out on the streets, loop error was starting and I could not have or do any of the above.
Conclusion? Something to do with GPS signal.

Discussed with Steve from Chameleon Codewing, who is the tech support for Thinkware and their UK's distributor.
He sent me a temporary camera to try if it does the same as mine.
It didn't and it still doesn't. It is perfect and performs as it should.

I must be really unlucky, Steve said: "In our approx. 4 years of Thinkware I have had 4 cameras that get the ‘Pink Sky’ and we sell 1400+ units per month. I’ve never had a faulty GPS on any camera since the F750 model and only 2 of those and overall Thinkware runs less than 1% failure rate during the 2 year warranty period which for a product that works in a very tough environment (boiling in the Summer and Frozen in the Winter) is amazing"
Well, I have had produced that 1% now so rest of Thinkware customers can relax. LOL

Whole above resulted of me getting an upgrade to Q800Pro model, not FOC but after 20% discount code Steve gave me.
This code will still work so if somebody is considering Thinkware dash cam, have a look on their website: https://chameleoncodewing.co.uk/
and type in discount code: TWLMS2019 for 20% discount on anything they do.
If you can, type ASN in purchase notes or message as this will notify them of the code reaching to all ASN members.
If you are a member on another Audi forum, by all means, share this code there, if you want.

I know my thread does look like a bit like I'm having a go on Thinkware dash cams or diss them. No, nothing like that.
Opposite.
Still sticking to the brand and after technical support Steve provided, I will say only that, Chameleon support and Steve's service is second to none.
He has literally bend backwards to help me resolve the issue I had.
It was by far THE BEST customer service and technical support I have ever experienced.
BIG thank to Steve from Chameleon again.

New camera is on order and should be arriving tomorrow.
I should be able to rewire the car in the evening so will drop some pictures afterwards.
2e6dc387a8b568486e650468092fff53.jpg
cc49b33e4873c19591659d8e2074d73f.jpg
d476c1e7ac79a99d92b3e7b043b7752c.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

F770 camera went back and new Q800Pro arrived.
Rewired it all, fitted and configured to my likings.

It wasn't easy to remove old sticky pads off the windscreen, though. Still left some of it on the rear windscreen as have tint on and didn't want to risk with chemicals or acetone.

Quality of videos is superb.
Had PCL filters installed on the lenses to help picture and it does the job.

Cleaned both windscreens last night and parked the car at work this morning and look how the front looks like
I don't see the point of washing the car as it gets covered in dust in seconds.
906da7079ec329685108421be2f4e687.jpg
99264f7ce8a2c7ded6e88aa5b7abce49.jpg
d5e9badb1b96c73abe9d834f75e8afd2.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Added Thinkware iVolt batt pack for the camera as it was causing battery drain and power management error with faults logged on the cpu. Cleared with vcds every time came back right after.

Haave now AGM battery installed, after regular acid one got f..kd within just a year.

Batt pack solved it permanently as it's hard wired to ignition switched fuse and back to the dash cam. Parking mode run off it and that gets charged while driving. 45min drive to full sorts out parking recording and saves the battery from damage.

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro