Thinkware F770 Install/ Hardwiring

007dan91

Reaction score
Today I installed my Thinkware F770 2 Channel Dash Cam which Is a hardwired setup into my Aud A5 Coupe, I remember trying to find information about the process before I collected my car but couldn't find much on this specific model so this is really just here to help someone if you are considering using any hardwired dash cam and if anyone has any recommendations for me with my setup. I have posted whats below into a thread in the A3 section if someone notices it the same, just thought it should belong here as well

First thing this isn't the neatest install, all of the wires minus the areas shown in the pictures are all tucked away under the trim and can't be seen, however in the A5 coupe at least due to fuse types and length of cables I've had to hide open wires under the glovebox/footwell (Can't be seen when sitting down normally) and back seat.

So I used my multimeter to determine what fuses were live and which were ignition only, I was hoping for the fuses on the passengers side dash panel to be a mix of live and ignition but they all stay on all the time so these were no good to use, the footwell fuses are suitable however and I ended up tapping into fuse 5 in carrier A (brake light sensor) this was for the Red ignition only wire and for the Battery always on Yellow wire I tapped into fuse 7 in carrier B (Gateway control unit) no idea what this is! The earth cable I've had to attach to the screw near the fuses on the passengers side dash panel (see picture) this is only because the frame holding the fuse carriers in the footwell have no screws and seem's to be plastic so a self tapping screw won't work.

One thing to note if you use the same method, parking mode activates around 2 minutes after locking the car, so if your testing this parking mode won't activate straight away, I would assume the car is still powering these fuses for while once you lock up. You'll see in the photos the rear camera cable is far to long so for now I've wrapped up the cable and I have it hidden behind the back seat, when I get some time I will measure how much of the cable I've used and try a find a similar length cable online, I can't find no where else to tuck that much cable into so temporarily this will do.

Hope that helps

Edit: Since installing I've had to move the dash cam further up the screen, I noticed my automatic wipers stopped working and I remembered behind the mirror is a little sensor and the original dash cam position was blocking it, moved it further up and everything is back to normal.

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpg
    IMG_6405.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_6404.jpg
    IMG_6404.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 581
  • IMG_6394.jpg
    IMG_6394.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 618
  • IMG_6402.jpg
    IMG_6402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 575
  • IMG_6403.jpg
    IMG_6403.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_6392.jpg
    IMG_6392.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 582
  • IMG_6399.jpg
    IMG_6399.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 566
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 17.02.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 17.02.05.png
    753.5 KB · Views: 621
Reactions: Buck
Great write up. I have an F750 running the F770 firmware in my B8.5.

One comment - I noticed that you have used 5A fuses for the dashcam wiring. Whilst the wires are probably OK for 5A the dashcam uses as lot less current so ideally you should use lower rated fuses - 1 or 2A at most.

I will get those changed, I was unsure on the fuse required , couldn't find nothing online with what amp the dash cam needed.

FYI look at the back of the F770 manual and you see 3.5W in dual channel mode. This is mean so at times it might be higher. However a 1A fuse will provide up to 12W without risk of blowing so it should be good enough.

I will get those changed, I was unsure on the fuse required , couldn't find nothing online with what amp the dash cam needed.

Did you change the position at all Dan?

I am having an issue with my own S5 in selecting the right fuses.

At the moment I have identified in Carrier C, Fuse 6 'Sockets' as the battery, but can't find a suitable 'switched' fuse, which doesn't appear to be really important.

Did you change the position at all Dan?

I am having an issue with my own S5 in selecting the right fuses.

At the moment I have identified in Carrier C, Fuse 6 'Sockets' as the battery, but can't find a suitable 'switched' fuse, which doesn't appear to be really important.

Wire positions stayed the same but I did change the fuse that went into the fuse tap from 5A to 2A as suggested by Dippy, I've just seen the thread you created on your blackvue setup.

I've had my camera in the same fuse slots since march 2nd and the camera has worked perfectly for normal recording and parked recording.

So yeah both my 'ignition only' and 'always on' are both connected to fuses in the passenger footwell. Ignition only (switched) is Fuse 5 in carrier A and always on (battery) is fuse 7 in carrier B.

I would recommend these positions.

Great write up. I have an F750 running the F770 firmware in my B8.5.

One comment - I noticed that you have used 5A fuses for the dashcam wiring. Whilst the wires are probably OK for 5A the dashcam uses as lot less current so ideally you should use lower rated fuses - 1 or 2A at most.

Hi Dippy
I don't suppose you've got a picture of where you've placed your Dashcam?

I've currently got a Blackvue in my existing S5, but the car is sold and I'm getting a replacement S5 this weekend.
I've now bought a 770 to go in the newer (2016) car, but am conscious I don't want to block the sensor for the dimming mirror/lane assist stuff.
However, too high and it will be in the sunstrip at the top of the screen and will probably cause issue with resolution.

Looking at the image attached in the OP's post (a B9) the mirror is different and the top doesn't looked tinted so wont have that issue

lol reminds me of the conversation I had with the insurance woman the other day as she was going through my renewal details!

"Have you got a dashcam installed in your car?"
"Yes, I have one in the front and one in the back"
"Are you sure they are dashcams and not parking cameras?"

I felt like calling her a few things :p

Reactions: 007dan91
007dan91, how did you find running the cables from the front dash cam along the windscreen and down the A pillar?
Was it easy to get them hidden?
Have been considering cameras but just not sure how easy it is to hide the cables in the A pillar.

007dan91, how did you find running the cables from the front dash cam along the windscreen and down the A pillar?
Have been considering cameras but just not sure how easy it is to hide the cables in the A pillar.

Hiding the cables around the A pillar was straight forward, the only area I couldn't get the cable into was some trim that is normally hidden when the door is closed so it doesn't bother me. Tomorrow I will take some pictures of the area and show how i've hidden the cables.

For now if it helps, the power cable across the front window has been pushed into the headliner and it comes down the A pillar behind the rubber door seal and keeps running down this area until it reaches the fuse box and appears below the dashboard (seen in the pictures).

The cable to the rear camera follows the same route across the window but continues behind the door seal to the rear of the car where it goes across the B pillar, the rear window and the across the rear window. If you have something to pull back on the car trim to open up a small gap to push the cable into it helps, if you go onto eBay and search 'car trim tools' it will show up with plastic tools which won't damage any trim.

@MattS5 - pic attached. Note that the F750 hs quite different from the F770 because the connectors are on the other side. When I saw the F770 I thought I might get one but as it turns out I turn mine off when it is parked in my garage to save the battery and the easiest way for me to do that is remove the power plug. So the F770 is no good for me and if I ever have to replace it I'll go for the F800 instead.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 376
Thanks for the pic, as you say the profile of the case is very different, but you did well to get it behind the drivers side of the mirror (I couldn't even do that with my Blackvue).
I don think I'll use the parking option, albeit I will wire it up to have the benefit if I do wish to use, like you, mine gets parked in the garage every night and even with the built in battery monitor in the 770, I don't see the point in using it.
I hardly ever unplug my Blackvue either, so I think the 770 will be fine as and when i do find the need.

I'll find out on Sunday when I hardwire it in.......

Managed to get some pictures if it helps, I pulled the 2 wires out from the headliner to show it more clearly and these can be pushed back in fairly easily.

IMG 0305 IMG 0306 IMG 0307 IMG 0309