Thirsty 1.8 quattro

Xmay4444

On Point!!
Reaction score
Hi guys,
got a bit of a problem here. Just purchased my second 1.8T and I think it's drinking like a fish!
My first was a 2001 b6(150) T sport and i could get around 412 mls on a full 70L tank around town and a bit of motorway.
My new one is a 190 [6] quattro S-Line and i'm on my first full tank and looking at what is left, i'll be lucky to get 350mls! :wtf:
I use super unleaded and do not have a lead foot.
I this normal? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What were you hoping for, it's 25% more powerful and heavier with extra drivetrain. 350 sounds spot on to me.

yep, thats normal for a quattro.. My Audi A3 1.8T QT was rubbish on fuel, yet my other half's 1.8T Mk4 GTi with the same engine is cracking!

Thats why I got an Audi A4 2.5 TDi Avant Quattro (180bht - 6 speed manual). Does around 35mpg on mixed driving and 41/42mpg on a decent run.......
I was originally going to get a 1.8 QT Sport....but after having read the mpg figures in this forum decided to go for the oil burner......I get about 450 miles per tank....which I dont think is to bad.....the 1.9 TDi Quattro I would imagine would do even better mpg.....

Alright, alright, I get it.
I know it's more powerful but daaaamn!!
When i checked the fuel consumption figures it said that it was only 1mpg less than my old one, the weight difference aint that much either.
Anyway i got the car now.
Many thanks to all.

aye mines not that great on fuel either unless you drive like your granny, but it pulls for scotland!

Hi guys,
got a bit of a problem here. Just purchased my second 1.8T and I think it's drinking like a fish!
My first was a 2001 b6(150) T sport and i could get around 412 mls on a full 70L tank around town and a bit of motorway.
My new one is a 190 [6] quattro S-Line and i'm on my first full tank and looking at what is left, i'll be lucky to get 350mls! :wtf:
I use super unleaded and do not have a lead foot.
I this normal? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is not a very scientific way of measuring fuel consumption anyway. You need to brim the tank, and zero the trip at the same time. Then, when your tank is low after a few hundred miles of broadly representative driving, brim the tank again at the same pump. Divide the number of litres of petrol bought by 4.545 to get the number in gallons. Then divide the mileage on your trip by the number of gallons and you will have a true mpg reading.

:beerchug:

I thought the quattro also had a smaller fuel tank ?

I thought the opposite was true. Doesn't the quattro have an 80 litre tank to compensate. Where as the FWD A4's have a 70 litre tank?

I normally reset my odometer whenever i fill up and see how many miles i can do. Although not scientific it gives me a rough idea of my mpg and notice if anything goes wrong.
The quattro has a 63 litre tank, i guess this is to accomodate the rear axle or differntial.

Well the published spec is 5 mpg lower than the 1.8T 2wd and the fuel tank is 4 litres smaller (66l compared to 70), so you're already going to do 30 miles or so less on a tank as you have nearly a gallon missing to start with.
Add to that the 5 mpg less overall, which equates to approx 70 miles per tank, then 350 miles per tank is actually better than you should be getting. Result!