this is how to drift in a audi!

The comments from the morons on YouTube annoy the hell out of me, I gotta stop reading them! Anybody know/tell if this Audi is Fwd or 4wd? I would imagine that if its Fwd its not technically drifting but more appropriately 'sliding' (I could do this in my old 16v Punto Sporting... only on private roads of course!)

can't believe the tit would do that in broad daylight with lots of other users on the road - absolute muppet ~ IMO

Not a bad bit of drift but I must agree with MikeA3, thats ******* stupid behaviour.

That is definatly 4WD, there is no way that could be done with FWD. May be 1 corner get the back out and catch it with FWD but no all the way round in circles!

I deg to biffer. It is absolutely possible in a Fwd. Just ask my friends that were in the back of my Punto. The road in the clip is very wet too, I did it on a dry day.

Shades said:
I deg to biffer. It is absolutely possible in a Fwd. Just ask my friends that were in the back of my Punto. The road in the clip is very wet too, I did it on a dry day.

I very much doubt you managed to drift anything like that constantly in any front wheel drive car. All FWD will do is understeer slide then if you catch it straighten up. Which at no point this car ever does while holding the drift.

PS this is like the 1000000 time this video has been posted.

''I deg to biffer. It is absolutely possible in a Fwd. Just ask my friends that were in the back of my Punto. The road in the clip is very wet too, I did it on a dry day.''

Beg to DIFFER all you like but I think you need to differ with physics to do that in a FWD car!!

S3 AD said:
''I deg to biffer. It is absolutely possible in a Fwd. Just ask my friends that were in the back of my Punto. The road in the clip is very wet too, I did it on a dry day.''

Beg to DIFFER all you like but I think you need to differ with physics to do that in a FWD car!!

1) I agree with the physics......Front wheel drive.....Nah, don't think so. :lmfao:

2) Driving like that in public is a twats trick. Borrow an airfield where you are not likely to harm Joe Public. :mad:

Yes you can drift FWD cars, there is a series in japan for FWD mini vans.

Blue_Turbo said:

You cannot drift a FWD car like in that video just wont happen. I do agree that you can get the **** out with lift off oversteer or racking the handbrake on to get the **** out but there is not a chance you can drift a FWD car the same way as is done in that video.

Blue_Turbo said:

You cannot drift a FWD car like in that video just wont happen. I do agree that you can get the **** out with lift off oversteer or racking the handbrake on to get the **** out but there is not a chance you can drift a FWD car the same way as is done in that video.

S3 AD said:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that I didn't do it? Where you there? Sorry I didn't realise you were Steven Hawking! I'm going to have to be careful next time I have a w*nk because apparently you can see everything I do. Drifting in a RWD car is about overpowering traction, driftin in a FWD is about losing traction. Is this beyond the realms of physics? I don't think so! As long as you can maintain the lose of traction of the rear wheels it is possible to keep the rear in a sustained slide without the use of the handbrake. Admittedly it is not as 'spectacular' as a RWD drift and not as controllable in the same manner (because the method of getting the **** end out is different) but it IS entirely possible.

So is this clip not real? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vac7QJB9gc ... oh look ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_yBF6UcSmY

Beerzo said:
I have lost the will to argue!

Because you know you are wrong! On both of those clips I posted the drivers could have easily kept their foot on the gas and kept turning in not allowing the rear end to grip (the only problem being because of the wide arc they are taking they would have eventually ran out of road and ended up somewhere that wouldn't have done their cars any good!)

Shades. Stop while you are behind. I think your clips prove the others points. Possible but not for that duration/consistency.

GSB1 said:
Shades. Stop while you are behind. I think your clips prove the others points. Possible but not for that duration/consistency.

I never said it was possible for the same duration/consistency. Okay, its not drifting in the traditional sense, perhaps the more pedantic amongst you would like to call it 'sliding' instead of drifting. It takes a lot of steering wheel shuffling to prevent the back end from gripping (because its not being powered round the rear naturally wants to straighten up) and it doesn't always work (I never said it did) but you can do it.

Perhaps nows the time to admit my old Punto had very hard suspension (you could try to bounce it at each corner by physically pushing down on it but it wouldn't bounce!), it had very, very light power-steering, it had very grippy UniRoyal rainsport 2's on the front (very good wet weather tyre and not too bad in the dry either) and AVS Sport on the rear (exceptional dry weather tyres but a bit crap in the wet!). All of this meant that on a (slippery) surface it was easy to lose traction at the rear and possible to prevent the rear from gripping. There was no dramatic changing of direction possible like in a traditional RWD because you needed to go in a bit of a straight line to whip the rear end out the other way but once you got it sliding...

Shades said:
I never said it was possible for the same duration/consistency. Okay, its not drifting in the traditional sense, perhaps the more pedantic amongst you would like to call it 'sliding' instead of drifting. It takes a lot of steering wheel shuffling to prevent the back end from gripping (because its not being powered round the rear naturally wants to straighten up) and it doesn't always work (I never said it did) but you can do it.

Perhaps nows the time to admit my old Punto had very hard suspension (you could try to bounce it at each corner by physically pushing down on it but it wouldn't bounce!), it had very, very light power-steering, it had very grippy UniRoyal rainsport 2's on the front (very good wet weather tyre and not too bad in the dry either) and AVS Sport on the rear (exceptional dry weather tyres but a bit crap in the wet!). All of this meant that on a (slippery) surface it was easy to lose traction at the rear and possible to prevent the rear from gripping. There was no dramatic changing of direction possible like in a traditional RWD because you needed to go in a bit of a straight line to whip the rear end out the other way but once you got it sliding...

Your second sentence here proves the point its a slide not dirfting! Anyone can get a FWD car sideways but to sustain a large 'drift' round a round about like that is not on the cards. They sure as hell cant drift in FWD like 4WD or RWD.

Beerzo said:
Your second sentence here proves the point its a slide not dirfting! Anyone can get a FWD car sideways but to sustain a large 'drift' round a round about like that is not on the cards. They sure as hell cant drift in FWD like 4WD or RWD.

Agreed, a FWD will only be in a slide, a drift is a powered slide which is not possible unless the wheels are powered.

??????????? A drift, is a drift, is a drift. Why is drifting called drifting? Because the back end drifts out. Who said the absolute definition of drifting means a drift powered by the rear wheels? Where is this? Is it in some drifting bible? No, because there isn't one! You've all basically said it's possible for the rear end to drift on a Fwd so whatever you want to say whether its Fwd, Rwd or 4wd its the **** end sliding out so its still drifting.

Shades, those cars are not drifting, they are correcting what would otherwise be a ltotal oss of control through the skid.

A drift is a deliberate, powered, maintainable slide its totally totally different.

I'm not saying it doesnt take a fair bit of skill to catch a FWD car that has started to slide like that, infact if it was to happen to 9/10 people on the road unexpectedly the hedge would be the stopper, but its just not a drift, at all. End of.

rodenal said:
Shades, those cars are not drifting, they are correcting what would otherwise be a ltotal oss of control through the skid.

A drift is a deliberate, powered, maintainable slide its totally totally different.

I'm not saying it doesnt take a fair bit of skill to catch a FWD car that has started to slide like that, infact if it was to happen to 9/10 people on the road unexpectedly the hedge would be the stopper, but its just not a drift, at all. End of.

Nail struck well and truely square on the head!:end_of_discction:

Were you in reverse in your punto....!?!

You can DRIFT (correct phrase) a FWD but not in the way you can a RWD or 4WD.

When drifting a FWD car you need to use the power to pull the car back out of the drift/slide otherwise the car will just spin out. Also in using the power to pull the car out the drift/slide is going to limit the time drifting.

Aye fair enough, i think all people were trying to say is that its just not possible to do what that car was doing with fwd - its completely different and near impossible to do anything other than slide round one corner in a fwd car

Yes you will only be able drift one corner at a time. Even a Scandinavian Flick will require the car to be going straight for a split second.

You use the handbrake in a RWD car! The point is the Japs invented it and they call that drifting, so you can drift a FWD car, or are you saying they are wrong?

Deary me. The first vid is an oldy but a goody and similar to below but with a bit more correction/skill and has a roundabout in the middle!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v710/nix_pug/?action=view&current=MOV00398.flv

Before the s3 i had a 306, so i am experienced with the old lift off oversteer. The vid of the eclipse is just that, and the a4 im pretty sure uses the handbrake as it would otherwise understeer all day, with maybe the exception of a scandy flick.

As for correcting it, you can simply apply a bit of opposite lock, or if you are way out of shape putting power to the front wheels should pull you out of it (just remember to cancel the lock in time!)

So to sum up the original question, its 4wd! End of.