Those with a roof box

Riko0073

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just about to purchase my first ever roof box....yeah yeah, sign of the times now owning an estate and buying a roof box!! Lol

My question is, do you guys leave the roof bars on permanently or remove and fit when needed?

Is it a pain fitting the bars each time as I don’t really want them on and will only have minimal usage of the box when going on trips that include the kids and 2 x dogs in the boot which take up all the useful luggage space?

I actually think a good roof box looks quite cool on the Avant (I’m purchasing the latest Audi 360l box) but with possible issues with mpg/aero dynamics and noise I’d rather remove when not in use.

I don’t have a roof box but have bike racks, I always remove because the noise is extremely annoying depending on the amount of time spent on motorways. Also the drop in fuel is noticeable I have the genuine roof bars which are more square not the aero ones. My car is a saloon and fitting isn’t difficult, I have to open all my doors and it has to go in a certain position. a nightmare in the rain but can imagine with an Avant being easier.

I have the saloon so the bars have to be attached to the frame which makes a noticable difference with wind noise at speed. You wont have that issue with the avant but id still take them off when not in use as the box and bars are pretty simple to attach/remove

Not on an Audi, but have Thule roof bars for the missus Focus and they take literally 2-3mins to fit. I take them off as soon as the roofbox comes off.

I have an Avant and use a Thule roofbox and Thule Bars - I take them both off when not in use as the wind noise is ridiculous (I do have square bars) Really easy to fit and remove and doesn't look too bad in my opinion...
20617104 10155392390556327 7359308340566780883 o

Reactions: Sandra
Nice and empty car park with an equally nice view of both the car and the landscape...

Reactions: craigomills
Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems a simple job then just to use when needed and remove the bars.

Use when needed only

Fuel consumption on mine decreases by up to 10mpg with the bars and box on

8 nuts/bolts to remove my Cruz black alu aerobars 5 min job

I do agree they look pretty good on the Avant though
20180706 152805

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra and Riko0073
Use when needed only

I do agree they look pretty good on the Avant though View attachment 161312

Presume the brackets don’t damage the roof rails?

Reactions: AlnSaz
Use when needed only

Looks great, love the Black Edition door rings.

Reactions: AlnSaz
Hi guys, what size/model of roof boxes are these? I’m looking at getting the Thule Motion 900 XXL which is 235cm long and not sure if it will look daft on from being too big! Cheers

I bought the Exodus 470L box from with Thule WingBars (Black) from Halfords. Really happy with it

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 10,595
Reactions: DohNut and v1rotate
Andy... Any chance of a pic side-on?

Happen to be looking into a box but undecided what size to go for.

Thanks

Andy... Any chance of a pic side-on?

Happen to be looking into a box but undecided what size to go for.

Thanks
Sorry I don't have any more photos.

Which boxes are you considering?

I think the smaller/thinner boxes look good, but in practical terms you may as well go as big as you can, as it will be annoying if you are still lacking space having invested all that money.

The 470L I picked up from Halfords is pretty big, but it's still slim enough to fit a bike alongside it and it looks pretty decent on the car.

Recommend the Thule WingBars too - make sure you go black if you have a Black edition car!

c77e90d18d4eb7bdd43f691dcf0377d6.png

I found this pic on eBay which I think is the 470 and 580 I think so helps to compare.

By another comparison if looking at Thule Motion XT XL (500L) the Thule is actually longer and wider than the Exodus 580, naturally a bit thinner though.

Exodus 360 - 109.4 x 64.1 x 41.4
Exodus 470 - 176.2 x 82.2 x 44.6
Exodus 580 - 205.7 x 80.2 x 50
Thule Motion XT XL (500L) - 215 x 91.5 x 44
(All cm)

I’m currently thinking the 580 is looking good. Good size (30cm longer than 470) and has greater capacity than the Thule which is bigger! I think the extra height would be more useful than extra length.

Think I’ve gone off the Thule XXl model as that’s 232cm long, as high as floor to ceiling in my house which sounds ridiculous!

Sorry I don't have any more photos.

Which boxes are you considering?

I think the smaller/thinner boxes look good, but in practical terms you may as well go as big as you can, as it will be annoying if you are still lacking space having invested all that money.

The 470L I picked up from Halfords is pretty big, but it's still slim enough to fit a bike alongside it and it looks pretty decent on the car.

Recommend the Thule WingBars too - make sure you go black if you have a Black edition car!

Current thinking is either the Thule Dynamic L, Motion XT L or Motion XT XL - I need to see them all in the flesh first though to guage size.

As for bars the Thule Wingbars seem a no brainer to me.

Use when needed only

Good advice from @q5man

Mine is a kamei husky xxl with Cruz black aluminium bars from roof box.co.uk! Audi stickers £4 from eBay
emoji23.png

It does look very oem though!

Whole lot was less than £400 so good value and fits luggage for a family of 4 for a fortnight so we'll chuffed

Reactions: NevMan
Kamei 510 opening from both sides looks good - good reviews. Shame there’s none going second hand on the usual sites. Maybe too good people don’t want to get rid of them!

Have had mine for 6+ years, but actually only used about 3/4 times. Wife wants me to keep it though

I've now discovered Packline and like the look of their boxes, just not the prices.

Kamei Oyster in matt grey looks cool too and at 450 litres is bang on size-wise.

Looking at buying an Audi Roof box, can they be fitted to non Audi roof bars? They are the rail type with the aerodynamic design.

TIA

Hey there,

looks like its all pretty much been covered but I’ll add my 2 pence worth.

I had Genuine Audi roof bars on my last car (A3 8P) they were incredibly quick to install as they were designed only to fit that car.

Fast forward to my A4 Avant B9 I opted for some bars that I would be able to transfer and use on other future cars - I have the Cruz Airo bars in Black which look great I must say .. admittedly they take a little longer to install (especially the first time I installed them) .. but generally very pleased as they look smart and very quiet.

We also have the M-Way 320litre box. I was intially looking at the smallest Thule offering, but it was smaller, rear opening and more expensive. Very pleased I went with the M-way, was a joy to use on our trip to the Lake District this year.

let us know if you need anymore info, cheers.

Upload 2021 1 14 21 47 15