Thoughts on Sportback

yak

Reaction score
So, I took the Sportback for a test drive, as my father is actually interested in it. Choice of engine was 2,0TDI. We both agreed that DSG is a must for this engine. I still find the turbolag unacceptable, but hey, you knew I didn't like it (except the nice punch in the midrange, but it isn't enough) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. And what's with the 1st gear? Feels redundant, in my FSI with 1st I can accelerate quickly to 60km/h, but in this one it feels like 2nd is faster (and also takes to 60km/h).

Anyway, the tyres were 225/45/R17 in this car, and compared to my own 205/55/R16 (which I thought were quieter option..) I found the tyrenoise was a lot smaller. This one is equipped with Pirelli's and personally I have Dunlop Sport SP1s. There's huge difference, Sportback feels a lot quieter. So, tyres or have they made some changes? The engine noise is higher compared to my FSI, but that was expected and maybe the lack of tyrenoises makes it even more drastic.

Second, the small doors were.. funny. And there were these "aluminium" inlays, which felt cheap, knock on them and you can hear plastic. Way to go Audi. The steering wheel is nice, there's a good grip on it, would definately take one compared to my leather-4-spoke.

This one was delphin gray, which was actually a nice color, and the front doesn't bother me that much anymore. I don't like the rear, it hasn't grown on me.

- Yak

Yak you might have noticed that 2nd gear is also a little tame on the 2.0tdi. I've read that the ecu limits power for both 1st and 2nd gear to stop excessive wheel spin, don't know if its actually true but it does feel like it. Switching off the ESP helps a little but it still feels like it is being held back.

Apart from the tyre noise did the ride feel any different to the three door ?

As for the Dunlop Sports vs Pirellis, I think the Dunlop tyres are made of a much harder rubber, they are supposed to last longer so I guess the downside is greater noise.

garethj, ride didn't feel any different. I was at home from the first meter. So it was pretty much what I expected. Friends at back (I was a driver for my friends who drank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) said there was plenty of space, so no problems there.

Yeah, could be that 2nd gear is also a bit limited (I've read such also). I wonder if the Quattro version suffers from the same limitations? Or do chipped versions have this problem? Anyone wanna give me a ride in chipped 2,0TDI?-)

Damn, super rubber Dunlops. I don't drive that much per year, those are going to be useless before they're worn out. Oh well, they're otherwise good tyres.

- Yak