Thoughts on the drive of the B9 S4 vs B8?

GSB1

Reaction score
Website
www.shootpetrol.co.uk
I am enjoying the various threads and posts from those already behind the wheel of a B9 S4.

Those of you that have come from the B8 S4 specifically, what are your thoughts on how the new model drives compared to the old? In particular thoughts on the engine and gearbox so far?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I am enjoying the various threads and posts from those already behind the wheel of a B9 S4.

Those of you that have come from the B8 S4 specifically, what are your thoughts on how the new model drives compared to the old? In particular thoughts on the engine and gearbox so far?

I was lead to believe the engine would be less characterful and the tiptronic was less crisp.

Far from it. It's lighter...that's the biggest improvement. Adjustable in the corners, and definitely spec the sports diff. In the B8.5, you had to nail your ingress into a corner or the understeer punished you hard. Not the case now. Only gripe on that front is the Hankooks provided. Not great in greasy conditions.

Gearbox? The S-Tronic is superb as we all know. For super sharp changes and responsiveness. But, in comfort and urban driving it was a bit figitty. In manual and dynamic, the new tiptronic 8 speed is very very good. Seriously, hardly any difference. The compromise comes when it's in comfort or auto etc. Ok, it's a bit more 'slushy' but, isn't that what you want in that driving style?

Exhaust is bags more fun! Nuff said on that. Downshifts and crackles have more about them than the B8.5.

I loved my B8.5. I really did. It had pluck for days. The supercharger was a lot of fun when ringing its neck up high. But the B9 is a huge step up. Especially the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: scotty76, Dave70, QTNC and 4 others
What he said. I preferred the s-tronic box to be honest. As said in dynamic /sport there is little difference but its a bit ponderous in other settings. Say you're cruising along and you want to pick up a bit of speed there will be a delay while it works out what to do. If you mash your foot down its great though.

A relatively minor gripe, in every other aspect its better. Feels a lot more spacious as well.

Reactions: scotty76 and Thundercliffe81
The compromise comes when it's in comfort or auto etc. Ok, it's a bit more 'slushy' but, isn't that what you want in that driving style?

Agree with this comment about Comfort being a bit slushy. When I'm coming up to a set of junctions that require faster reactions, I tend to temporarily pop it into Dynamic in which it positively leaps forward :)

Agree with this comment about Comfort being a bit slushy. When I'm coming up to a set of junctions that require faster reactions, I tend to temporarily pop it into Dynamic in which it positively leaps forward :)

Yup. Totally.

At roundabouts and junctions, I've developed a habit where I just pull down to 'sport' on the gear lever.

Reactions: Ana318 and Dave70
In the B8.5, you had to nail your ingress into a corner or the understeer punished you hard.
This might seem picky but are you comparing a B9 with sports diff to a B8.5 without sports diff?
No understeer on my B8.5 with sports diff.

This might seem picky but are you comparing a B9 with sports diff to a B8.5 without sports diff?
No understeer on my B8.5 with sports diff.

In essence, no. Just saying. I drive the 3.0 TDI B9 and that handled better than the B8.5 without sport diff. So, ignore the sport diff. The B9 has a better chassis. Should have said.