Throttle body

Kris6383

Ze germans are here
Reaction score
Hey all I have an a3 1.8t aum, is it possible to clean throttle body without having to get it realigned? Reading a few things on the net sum say yes sum say no.
Cheers

Hi mine is an AUM and from what I remember I disconnected the battery when I removed it. Once re-fitted and reconnected the battery, turned the ignition on without starting the engine and for 30 seconds or so you could hear it aligning itself. Been fine ever since.

Mine is an aum. ..

I left mine plugged in and just unbolted it from the manifold , turn ignition on and put something heavy on the throttle pedal to open the butterfly then using carb cleaner , a rag and some cotton buds on a stick give it a good clean and then just bolt it back up .. 15 minute job bud

Yep, that's how I did it on my old AUM and my current BAM, worked perfect without any issues.

As said above, unbolt it but leave the electrical connection plugged in, that way any spray will go on the floor not into the inlet (with all the dirt)

Don't spray directly into the TB, as it could seep through onto the step motor and damage it, spray onto a cloth, then wipe it out, soak a cotton bud with cleaner to get into the corners of the butterfly.

does this need a new gasket when re-installing?
realistically yes... its a paper gasket and a pressurised system... if its the original gasket then the chances of it sealing again are reduced...

For what its worth I only use RTV sealant on mine...

<tuffty/>

oh i have plenty of that stuff!

so RTV on the old paper or just get rid of the old gasket altogether?

my throttle butterfly has a ring of crud around it! lol