Q5 Ticking/rattling acceleration Q5 2.0tdi

Gary Cz

Reaction score
Hi, proud owner of a Q5 and very happy until it has developed a ticking/rattling sound under acceleration. I took it back to the dealer and he's said it's wind noise. It certainly isn't. It only occurs when I'm pushing it through the gears. If I dip the clutch it disapppers similarly if I'm parked up and rev the engine it is sweet. Took to a local mechanic for him to drive and he is stumped. It drives fantastic and pulls as expected. I've trawled the forums and seen plenty reporting this issue but no resolution. The mechanic said he'd take it in and begin stripping down but the labour costs could be high as he doesn't know where to start..him being honest. If I turn the wheels it doesn't make a difference (eliminating CV issue?) . I'm keen on getting her mapped but holding off until this is fixed. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone knows the answer or a good tech with old school ears let me know!:)

Possible noisy or blocked injector? - mine sounds a bit rattly when accelerating under load (eg: in 6th and giving a bit more gas up a slope), but put this down to the general diesel noise as they aren't the most refined engines.

Thanks Scott. What's leading you to this thought as I can't replicate with no load. Or am I right in thinking that under load it (engine) has to work harder?

Just from previous experience the injectors work harder under under load - so the more fuel required to drive the engine the more they have to work to pump it in.
I'm sure I've seen on one of the ODB apps (maybe VCDS?) you can look at injector cycles and pressure for individual units - someone with more experience of this should be able to confirm and explain what it should be.
Has the oil pump been changed as well? when I was lookng to buy mine it was a failiure point on the 2.0 tdi's - not sure if it would cause the extra noise, but would make sense if there was some oil starvation.
Finally, I found a topic on the 2.0tdi balance shaft on one of the many Audi forums - probably worth a google,or search on here - if a little scary!

Just to add - complete guesses as haven't heard your noise, but may help research into the problem. Suprised the mechanic doesn't know where to start??