time to bite the bullet

Drew Baby

Reaction score
Hi All,

time to bite the bullet and get my car, A4 2.0tdi 143 sorted, ive had an intermittent clutch problem for the last 14 months or so, Audi have had the car and could`nt find the fault, it travelled 13500 miles with only the occasional blip, but now its getting worse, the clutch pedals getting heavier so ive been to an independent guy who wants nearly as much as Audi with only half the guarantee, so Audi it is, there going to charge £800 for a clutch fitted, but interestingly as its kind of an erratic fault £60 to diagnose thats definately the problem.
I`m in two minds as to wether it is the clutch or some bedevilment hiding in the gearbox but we`ll find out soon enough
cheers Andrew

Not knowing any details about your car (age, mileage etc), have you thought about trading the problem in? Like I say, I don't know what you have or what its worth etc, but before parting with the best part of a grand would it be feasible to consider trading in for a newer car? I only say this as in my own experience once you get a problem it seems to spiral from there onto something else. I'm on my 5th Audi now, out of them all I had one that gave me nothing but trouble - Boot Lid, Door Handle, Turbo, Sensors, Brakes! In the end Audi UK sorted it with my local dealer and they covered the bill for it (£2,500 odd), but after that I traded it straight in for another one before anything else went wrong.
Just my opinion, I appreciate we all have our own financial priorities.

Not knowing any details about your car (age, mileage etc), have you thought about trading the problem in? Like I say, I don't know what you have or what its worth etc, but before parting with the best part of a grand would it be feasible to consider trading in for a newer car? I only say this as in my own experience once you get a problem it seems to spiral from there onto something else. I'm on my 5th Audi now, out of them all I had one that gave me nothing but trouble - Boot Lid, Door Handle, Turbo, Sensors, Brakes! In the end Audi UK sorted it with my local dealer and they covered the bill for it (£2,500 odd), but after that I traded it straight in for another one before anything else went wrong.
Hi Firecracker,
Trading the car in has crossed my mind, I've even been and looked at other cars, I've an A4 avant black edition with 43500 miles on the clock full history etc, this problem has been rumbling on for 15 months, it started at under 30k miles,sissapointing to say the least, the rest of the car is good, and yer I've been offered a decent part ex but I've decided to pay the money and see what happens, I've spoken at length with Audi as I'm not convinced it's wear and tear on the clutch to blame, I've asked about getting some goodwill off Audi UK if that's the case and there happy to Perdue a claim if it's a viable one so we'll see on Wednesday evening