timing belt issue

hdailey

Reaction score
Hello-

I WAS the proud owner of a 2001 225hp TT Coupe. I leased the car through my Audi dealership in Charlotte, N. Carolina. Car has been taken to the dealership for all scheduled maintenance and service. Car actually just went in for it's BIG 60,000 mile service. Engine is now totaled (from the inside out) apparently Audi manufacturing states their timing belts are good up to 75,000 miles. Therefore, they do not check them or change them until such time, mine of course snapped at 62,000 miles (right after I just had service). Audi does not feel obligated to make the repairs and is seeking for me to pay upwards of $5,000.00 to install a new engine(mind you this is a lease). Have spoken to a few other people concerning Audi and their timing belts. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this type of problem? I would appreciate any and all feedback as it appears I am going to have to hire an attorney for this one. Thanks in advance

This should definately be covered under warranty. I had the timing belt on my MkIII Golf GTi 16v snap, 10k miles off 80,000 mile change, and the local VW dealer did all the work(£3k) under warranty. How can they possibly wriggle out of that one? I don't see how you can abuse a timing belt so that it would be wear & tear.
This really p*sses me off, warranties are just not worth the hassle. I don't see what the dealer's issue is as they still get their money. I guess it depends how many warranty claims the dealer has made in the month.