timing belt

peteanthony

Reaction score
Hi all, a quick question,when does the timing belt need to be changed on an Audi A4 sport softtop? I've owned it for just under a year and the car is on a 56 number plate. Current mileage is 63k.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks very much
Pete

Hi, we need a bit more info please. What engine do you have? Has it been replaced before?

Usually it's 4 years or 80K miles on the 2.5TDI (According to my owners manual) But 60k is MAX I'd run one at.
The RS6 V8 is every 40k miles
Owners Manual states 115k for 1.8 4Cyl engines....!

But 4 years if mileage hasn't accrued to the limit.

As Dan as said, and i'm the same , 60k max for me too so i work on the rule of every 4 years or every 60k whatever comes first and your car is a B7 chassis model :)

Thanks all. It's a 1.8ltr engine and judging by your comments it'll be a job to do in the next couple of weeks. Any ideas what it could cost me? I won't be taking it to Audi as I understand that they will extract the urine. A rough ballpark figure??

It varies from garage to garage. But make sure you replace the water pump and all tensioners and pulleys too. I got a genuine belt kit for my 2.5 with all the trimmings, came in at £250 for the parts with a discount. A garage charged me £180 to fit it all. Again with a discount though.

Hi Dan, where did you source the parts from? Seems like a good deal. Thanks mate
Pete

Through a friend who works for Skoda. He is mates with Leeds Audi Parts Manager.....Although he could of ordered them through Skoda...

Try Eurocarparts for a belt kit, but makes sure it's a decent brand! Contitech is good. Some people don't like Gates's, I've never had an issue with them myself. But leave the rest out.

Excellent, I'll give europarts a call. Thanks once again mate.
Pete