Tips for cleaning car w/o a hosepipe due to ban.

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
We have a hose pipe ban in place in the SE and wondered if anyone had any tips on cleaning your car w/o using a hose. I've heard watering cans are quite usefull?

cheers.

carwashes are also very good, they wont get it "spotless" but gets most of the dirt off. My Rs4 looks spangly bar the wheels.
Plus its nice and easy ! (isnt that a shampoo ?)

thats the strange thing, carwash's and jet wash's all seem to be raking it in around hertforshire at the moment, i guess its beause they recycle the water back into the system

cheers for that guys.

Not too keen on the car wash option so think i'll look into the water butt.

Gonna need to buy a butt as dont already have one. They look petty cheap tho.

What kind of power output should the pump be?

my tip is to live up north no hose pipe bans here

ive just wasted gallons cleaning my fence and decking with the jet wash :)

fingermouse said:
my tip is to live up north no hose pipe bans here

ive just wasted gallons cleaning my fence and decking with the jet wash :)

do they sell 300mile hoses :)

There was a post on the TT forums recently where someone asked Thames about this as they wanted to make sure it was all ok before they went ahead. Thames view was that you are not permitted to fill any container from the mains supply with the intention of using a pump to wash your car with, such as hooking it up to a karcher or submersible pump for a hose. Using it with collected rain or grey water would be ok on the other hand.

I wouldn't put my car through a car wash due to Swirl marks from the brushes :(

I just use a watercan to pre rinse the car-start from the roof down, then 1 bucket soapy to wash, then 2 buckets to rinse clean :)
Luckily we have no ban up here anyway :)

AndyM said:
There was a post on the TT forums recently where someone asked Thames about this as they wanted to make sure it was all ok before they went ahead. Thames view was that you are not permitted to fill any container from the mains supply with the intention of using a pump to wash your car with, such as hooking it up to a karcher or submersible pump for a hose. Using it with collected rain or grey water would be ok on the other hand.

So how do all the mobile car cleaners get round this? There was one o/s my work last week and he cleaned over 10 cars with a hosepipe connected to a tank in his van. Think i'll be phoning Southern Water 1st for confirmation what is ok.

I've got a water butt, but the water in it is green & a bit scummy. I've been using a bucket & sponge to clean the car during the hoespipe ban. However, if the drought order is granted, I won't even be able to do that.

I know a guy who filled a portable swimming pool with 15k litres of water. Thames said it was ok. I can't even wash my car once a month. :-(

Remember you can still use a good old bucket! I actually think I use more water using a bucket to wash my car than using a hosepipe - as when you throw it over the car most of it ends up coming back all over you! I'm averaging about 18 buckets full (180 litres) to wash my car.

The most annoying thing is you can't blast the dead flies out of radiator grille and panel gaps. Front of the car will no doubt be a serious fly graveyard by the end of the summer.

A3_TOBES said:
So how do all the mobile car cleaners get round this? There was one o/s my work last week and he cleaned over 10 cars with a hosepipe connected to a tank in his van. Think i'll be phoning Southern Water 1st for confirmation what is ok.

Hosepipe bans affect domestic users, not business users. Drought orders are a whole different ball game. Check your water supplier's website for FAQs.

I currently work for a top golf club, we get around any drought restrictions by maintaining our own resevoir and using treated water from the sewage works nearby to water the course. At the peak of the summer we will put anywhere from 250,000 to 500,000 litres of water onto the course a night!

Think I might park the car on the 17th green overnight and wash it.

I have to use a bucket as the car's parked on the road outside the house and i live on the first floor flat :(

I can do a good job with five buckets - 2 to get it wet, 1 to wash and 2 to rinse afterwards - normally comes out very well

Watering cans are great - 2 to get it wet, wash with yer bucket and mit and sponge, 2 watering cans to rinse.

Cars seems to dry much quicker when I use the watering can, the water seems to sheet off or bead better, presumably as no fine spray.

Only thing you can't do is rinse out the wheel arches but I did that right after the winter anyway.