Tips please! Audi virgin

got-vtec

Reaction score
Hey guys ive introduced my self within the new members section, so i thought i'd ask my first question.:yum:

Im thinking of buying an audi a3 tdi 2.0 s-line or just a standard tdi 2.0 im not sure which one to get, there is a price difference between the two but is there a reliability problem too? whats the difference?

i dont have a clue about audi's and i havnt even driven one to be honest, im a Honda guy but i really genuinly like the look of the 2005+ audi's shape, but i dont know what they are like to drive, to maintain, to use everyday how reliable is it? i mean i rip the hell out of my honda engine and nothing happens cant say that about the body! but hey, you win some you loose some how are a3 tdi's

and most importantly ive made my mind up and im looking to buy one within 1-2 months do you guys have any tips or things to look out for when buying an audi, because every different car has different but common problems.

ANY sort of help will be apreciated!:p

S-line is just trim and bodykit etc, shouldn't be anything there that would affect the reliability. S-line is much nicer, in my opinion.

I love my s-line too, sport/se/base never did it for me. I believe the engines are the same irrespective of trim level. The 2.0tdi comes as a 140bhp or 170bhp. You can get the quattro with the 170 but not the 140.

Plenty of guts from my 140.

It'll be a big shock to the system when you go from a vtec to a diesel engine, jumping out of the A3 into the S2000 on a weekend is a big enough shock and there is only 2.3k rpm difference.

I'd test drive one for sure first.

i love s2000's its great when the v-tec kicks in but on subject i would go for the s-line over any other model because of the looks i wish i chose a s-line not a sport now but when i sell mine it will be for a s-line

just swapped a Sport for an S-Line... much better looking imho. bit more expensive too tho.

i'd defos agree with Robin about test driving one. the diesels only rev to 4500 or so, which is about half what your VTEC can manage. it'll be a massive change for you

yeah its true i guess im thinking of keeping it for a while so i might aswell give up the extra bucks and get the proper one! s-line

do you guys have any tips on what to look out for on these models?
say for example when i went to look at the car i was thinking of buying.

because when i was buying my civic i knew things to look out for on these models, but i dont have a clue with the audi's

o yeah is the 140 brake tdi's quite fast/nippy? i had a litle 1.6 vtec and i use 2 rape 1.9 tdi's but i dont know about 2.0's

Sorry but the way you talk about raping cars...... you belong on a track not on a road IMO... If your intention is to go out looking for people to race and beat then i suggest you do not buy a car at all..... and im sure many people will agree with me. Its not a good look for Audi owners.

If on the other hand you intend to be sensible then the 2.0tdi is quite manageable in all the required areas and will get you from A to B as quick as legally allowed.

Russo, there isnt a guy on this forum or woman in fact that has never put the pedal down, i think acceleration is a huge part of buying a car i wouldnt mind having 1000hp under my foot why not?, if used sensibly and legally. There are people buying S3's on and r8's on the forum and they buy it for many factors and one being the ''speed''.

im buying the audi for economy and speed combined. 140 bhp isnt bad at all,
speed is a huge part of me buying a car. Not to race but when speed is needed knowing you have it is a good.
and ofcourse we've all pulled away from cars at the lights, thats what i meant by raping, we use different slang terms in north london, isnt the same in Bedfordshire.

Sorry you being 30 miles from me means your slang is so much different. on the other hand. Like i said. it depends on your intentions. I have never raced away from a car from the lights. Pointless tbh. Although i have been hit by a car before as it (raped) another car from lights and sped round a corner with his foot to the pedal.. i was lucky he clipped me with his wing and he didnt even stop, how nice. Im not saying your that sort of driver. So im not dropping you in a category. Just letting you know how people see things by whats written. So dont take things the wrong way mate.

You will like the 140 but rpm wise and acceleration wont be as great as your vtec. although i dont rate them much either... my friend has a civic type r 346 bhp jackson racing supercharged and the acceleration on that isnt great they have no torque... which is where the audi is better.

think you need to chillax a bit russo... part of the reason i buy a car is a certain "fun" factor, and part of that fun comes from knowing you can bomb it when you like.

nobody on this forum endorses dangerous driving, but there's nothing wrong with driving quickly when the conditions allow.

S line is suprisingly fast in my opinion...its not the bhp that matters its the torque in a diesel...My old car was a Focus RS 370bhp...and in all honestly i could beat most cars on the road even the big ones like RS4s and Ferrari 360s...so a step down into a diesel 140bhp Audi wasnt so bad after all, it still got alot of poke but its not a car to race with the engine simply isnt built for that sort of driving.

I have a 140 2.0 TDi... 3rd gear upwards is where the engine really shines for me. I do a lot of open driving and there's always plenty torque there for anything you need. Just don't expect to reach 60 from a standstill that quickly. I'd rather have all my power between 30 and 80mph anyway and love the TDi engine... fantastic economy too!!!

Im *chillaxed* like i said for a 3rd time im not going against anyones reasons why they buy a car its upto you what you buy and how you drive. Just a note to be carefull. Ive seen alot of people on the vauxhall forums previous to me joining here, get in trouble by saying stuff like this on public forums, even though they arent idiotic drivers.

Get an S-line, had a look at the others and they just aint the same. You would regret it if you didnt

think you need to chillax a bit russo... part of the reason i buy a car is a certain "fun" factor, and part of that fun comes from knowing you can bomb it when you like.

nobody on this forum endorses dangerous driving, but there's nothing wrong with driving quickly when the conditions allow.

well said man ! thats all i was trying to explain, we have all tryed puting the footdown against another car, were all human,

but yeah from what ive read and seen the s-line seems the way to go
thanks guys