TMU's Glacier White B8.5 S4 - MRC Stage 2

Get a dipstick mate the dash read out is iffy at best.

Cheers mate. Already have the dipstick and MMI readings were pretty much the same as the dipstick

Definitely agree with this, my Q5 seemed to vary between 3/4 and full quite regularly and that was similar temps

Agreed. It does when hot. I have been keeping an eye on my oil levels and checking them both on the MMI as well as the dipstick and they were pretty much the same.

The below pic was taken after topping up the oil and 10mins after reaching my destination. I know I should've waited for another 10-15 mins to let the engine cool down properly before taking the reading but looking at the levels on the dipstick, it seems fine.

4ff5017373942573acb52a90766c86fe.jpg

I moved to 5w40 it was recommended to me by Opie Oils after I told them I was stage one. I've just looked at my level after reading your post and after 2000 miles since my service my oil still reads full.

I know this isn't definitive proof as I don't have any measurement from before I moved to 5W 40.

The oil I used does seem to fit the bill or at least the marketing **** does and it suckered me right in.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115238...e-cfs-5w-40-nt-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

• Performance Profile
    • Manufactured to far exceed the requirements of API SM/CF and ACEA A3/B4
    • Ideal for fast road or track day use, especially in engines where a 5w30 is normally specified
    • Suitable for operating at 125oC with peak temperatures up to 150oC

I am currently using 5W-30 and planning on changing it to 5W-40 on this year's service. I would therefore expecting the levels to stay either at max or that I won't be required another top-up at 6k miles next year.

MRC did my last service and after speaking with Doug he was of the view that both 5W-30 or 40 were are fine. His view of the oil-consumption was that, "it is normal and nothing to worry about". I am not so concerned as it is not so significant, i.e. 1ltr after every 600-700 miles.

I have been looking at different options and slightly confused.com as to which one I should using. There are few options with Millers being the top-pick by everyone followed by Quantum (from TPS). I am going to go with Millers and have already requested APS brackley to source it for me.

I will definitely be monitoring the levels for a comparision

Mine's going for a two-year inspection service later this month. Last year, the garage used Petronas 5W-30; that was at 26,000, it's now 34,000. In those 8,000 miles, the engine hasn't used a drop of it. So I'll just keep thgings as they are.

Reactions: V6_Man
40 weight oil is definitely significantly thicker so worth trying.

Mine's going for a two-year inspection service later this month. Last year, the garage used Petronas 5W-30; that was at 26,000, it's now 34,000. In those 8,000 miles, the engine hasn't used a drop of it. So I'll just keep thgings as they are.

40 weight oil is definitely significantly thicker so worth trying.

I didn't consume any oil in the first year of my ownership and until the car was stock. It has increased since the remap. A part of me is inclined to think that this is due to me thrashing the car more often than not. Now whether this is the underlying reason, I am not sure... I would like to think maybe not ...

I will change over to Millers 5W-40 and find out.

@Dippy can I ask which oil you are using on yours?

Castrol 5W30 - its what Mark (MDM Technik) uses.
Don't forget that I have the CREC engine which has revised PCV and piston oil control rings so possibly is less likely to suffer from oil consumption.

Reactions: V6_Man, MuPPeT_ON_TouR and NevMan
Audi engines are notorious for consuming oil, especially as they age. My B5 S4 started to need mid-service top-ups later in its life. This is why Audi dealers tell you that some oil consumption is normal. The trouble is that because they have had some engines which genuinely had piston ring design faults (the 2.0T being the worst), they lost credibility when trying to fob owners off with the "normal" answer. As per my comment above, they must have finally concluded that the supercharged 3.0T was not perfect and hence redesigned the PCV and oil control rings.

Reactions: V6_Man and NevMan
eeeep a sign of things to come for all of us??
keen to see how you get on the the 40 on stage 2.
Same as you did in the first years, mine hasn't budged from max (29k on it now) , although after I got a dipstick (8 months after the last service) it did read fair bit over max which was not ideal to see... :S

Just to add to the choice of Castrol, Mark also said Audi specific is now Fusch's which I popped in for my mid year oil change, wee bit cheaper :).

""Hi Manda,

Sorry for the delay.
Your car uses 5W30 fully synthetic oil.
Audi / VW specific oil is made by Fuchs but I would also recommend Castrol.

Kind regards,

Mark""​

eeeep a sign of things to come for all of us??
keen to see how you get on the the 40 on stage 2.
Same as you did in the first years, mine hasn't budged from max (29k on it now), although after I got a dipstick (8 months after the last service) it did read fair bit over max which was not ideal to see... :S

Did you check the oil when engine / oil was hot rather than cold or at running temps as that could be the only possible explanation for it above the max.

Just to add to the choice of Castrol, Mark also said Audi specific is now Fusch's which I popped in for my mid year oil change, wee bit cheaper :).

""Hi Manda,

Sorry for the delay.
Your car uses 5W30 fully synthetic oil.
Audi / VW specific oil is made by Fuchs but I would also recommend Castrol.

Kind regards,

Mark""​

Quantum from TPS or Castrol should meet the spec and so should Millers.

Although I have requested APS to order Millers for the next service I am still in two minds, i.e. whether to go for Castrol or Millers. The good thing is I have atleast three weeks before I make a final decision

I will keep you guys posted.

Castrol 5W30 - its what Mark (MDM Technik) uses.
Don't forget that I have the CREC engine which has revised PCV and piston oil control rings so possibly is less likely to suffer from oil consumption.

Thanks @Dippy. I did think about changing the PCV but decided not to. I won't fix it if it is not broken as some of us have the tendency to overthink and create problems for ourselves. Certainly I do and regret doing it on my B7 A4 that I sold with only 74k on the clock. And I sold it cheap because of the issues it started developing

Did you check the oil when engine / oil was hot rather than cold or at running temps as that could be the only possible explanation for it above the max.

Fair point, I let it sit for 10 minutes as I was excited to try my new dipstick... this is adulthood apparently.. being excited buying a dipstick :S

Reactions: Bristle Hound, V6_Man, scotty76 and 2 others
Car is booked in on 17th next week for full service as well as MoT. Full service will include everything barring plugs as I am not sure if I should be changing them now or wait another year or two (if I have still have the car that long).

What plugs would you guys recommend/suggest. It is a 14 plate and I am currently sat at 36k miles. And if so, which ones. I have been googling and Audizine-ing as well as Facebooking and came across the below two:

1- NGK BKR8EIX
2- NGK PFR8S8EG

Last edited:
DSG oil
Do you have sports diff? If so, diff oil.

Cheers Jeff. DSG was serviced last year at 30k miles so perhaps good for another couple of years/15k miles.

Unfortunately it doesn't have sports diff - the only one available with Sports Diff at the time had high mileage; 28k on a 14plate compared to 12k so, I opted for less mileage car

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962
Factory spark plugs should be "long life" and easily last longer than they have now - what does not the service schedule recommend? - I can't remember myself. However plugs are (relatively) cheap and at 36K it would be fair to say you have gotten value from them and simply to guarantee reliability you could have them changed.

I'm a bit cynical about the differences in spark plugs at the high end. Once you move away from copper its just a question of how long the metal lasts. Does the platinum last 60K? Does the iridium last 80K? Does either matter if you are going to replace them at 36K anyway? And just because they have "iridium core" is that enough? What if the ground electrode is not iridium or platinum but nickel? The weakest metal will wear first and how to you KNOW exactly what metal is used for ALL the parts of the plug? Just choose the one that looks sexiest or has great words like "laser" in the description. :)

Reactions: scotty76, Bristle Hound and V6_Man
Factory spark plugs should be "long life" and easily last longer than they have now - what does not the service schedule recommend? - I can't remember myself. However plugs are (relatively) cheap and at 36K it would be fair to say you have gotten value from them and simply to guarantee reliability you could have them changed.

I'm a bit cynical about the differences in spark plugs at the high end. Once you move away from copper its just a question of how long the metal lasts. Does the platinum last 60K? Does the iridium last 80K? Does either matter if you are going to replace them at 36K anyway? And just because they have "iridium core" is that enough? What if the ground electrode is not iridium or platinum but nickel? The weakest metal will wear first and how to you KNOW exactly what metal is used for ALL the parts of the plug? Just choose the one that looks sexiest or has great words like "laser" in the description. :)

Thanks @Dippy. The service schedule suggests they be done at 55k and then at 115k. But then there are other recommendations that I for one have not followed, e.g. DSG service which was done 5k-6k miles earlier. And going by same logic and the fact that the car is tuned there is no harm in getting them replaced earlier either.

At the same time, part of me thinks I should leave them untouched and maybe look at them at next service/health check. I have the car booked in for health check in August/Sep and when I asked Ben @ MRC for suggestions they said OE were fine...

On Facebook S4 UK and Audizine folks swear by NGK BKR8EIX but then most of them are running DP setup as well as meths so you'd expect them to go anything that is flashy, isn't it...

Still undecided - #firstworldproblems :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound
Audi decided to change mine at two years old for a giggle. No not really, they messed up and did a major service when I'd only booked a minor. Fortunately I didn't pay for the priveledge. And they wonder why we don't trust them...

Reactions: Bristle Hound and V6_Man
Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and jdp1962
Thanks @Dippy. The service schedule suggests they be done at 55k and then at 115k. But then there are other recommendations that I for one have not followed, e.g. DSG service which was done 5k-6k miles earlier. And going by same logic and the fact that the car is tuned there is no harm in getting them replaced earlier either.

At the same time, part of me thinks I should leave them untouched and maybe look at them at next service/health check. I have the car booked in for health check in August/Sep and when I asked Ben @ MRC for suggestions they said OE were fine...

On Facebook S4 UK and Audizine folks swear by NGK BKR8EIX but then most of them are running DP setup as well as meths so you'd expect them to go anything that is flashy, isn't it...

Still undecided - #firstworldproblems :(
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but there is a big difference between changing the oil early on parts of the car that are ****ing expensive to repair/replace and the spark plugs which if they start to go bad will likely just start to cause misfires. Likely I'll have mine changed at 6 years and at my current rate the car will only have done 27 or 28K.

Without doubt those NGK BKR8EIX are great plugs but personally I wouldn't worry about recommendations on Audizine. Most of the membership is based in the US and those Americans are very "special" people aren't they? I guess I can be a bit "special" like them, but when it comes to changing my spark plugs I'll just go with what Mark @ MDMTechnik recommends. If it were MRC doing the service I'd just go with their recommendation too.

I'm more worried about an Audi dealer doing my 24DP recall. I'll have to make a decision on that soon.

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but there is a big difference between changing the oil early on parts of the car that are ****ing expensive to repair/replace and the spark plugs which if they start to go bad will likely just start to cause misfires. Likely I'll have mine changed at 6 years and at my current rate the car will only have done 27 or 28K..

I completely agree @Dippy. There are service items that you don't want to risk and wait for the "recommended" intervals like for example the Stronic service. In the end, it is just effin plugs but people like me often complicate the simplest of the things :(
Without doubt those NGK BKR8EIX are great plugs but personally I wouldn't worry about recommendations on Audizine. Most of the membership is based in the US and those Americans are very "special" people aren't they? I guess I can be a bit "special" like them, but when it comes to changing my spark plugs I'll just go with what Mark @ MDMTechnik recommends. If it were MRC doing the service I'd just go with their recommendation too.

Spooky as I called Ben @MrC about 15 mins ago just to re-confirm what he already told me a month ago. He said go OE and gap them as they come standard from factory. Just like you suggested, he also recommended to change them at 6 years and to not worry now. He also took note to look at the plugs as part of the health check in August and change them if required.

I'm more worried about an Audi dealer doing my 24DP recall. I'll have to make a decision on that soon.

Fingers crossed mate, I am sure it will all go fine or you thinking about accepting the "risk" here ...

Reactions: scotty76
I'll be happy to feed my experience back in a couple of weeks' time.

Reactions: V6_Man, Bristle Hound and scotty76
So far only one of the dealers I contacted has bothered to reply, and that reply was fairly "vanilla". But fortunately its the dealer I have used before and I have had no problems with the quality of the work done or the care they have taken of the car, so it looks like I'll be going back there. I'm not sure if I'll wait for your experience before I book Jeff. After all I really have no choice. Now that I have the official letter from Audi stating that the work is necessary for safety reasons, I have no genuine excuse to delay any more.

So far only one of the dealers I contacted has bothered to reply, and that reply was fairly "vanilla". But fortunately its the dealer I have used before and I have had no problems with the quality of the work done or the care they have taken of the car, so it looks like I'll be going back there. I'm not sure if I'll wait for your experience before I book Jeff. After all I really have no choice. Now that I have the official letter from Audi stating that the work is necessary for safety reasons, I have no genuine excuse to delay any more.

Which dealership is it @Dippy . It just helps as a reference for any potential future work...

no way. Hope all goes well mate. I still remember you showing me your car alot of power.

It was a very difficult decision Jeff but unfortunately one, which had to be made. I’ve done around 2k miles since MOT in July last year of which 300 were since the house move in November.

Reactions: jdp1962
Feel your pain. I'm still dithering around getting online quotes to sell mine. You prompted me to go and check the mileage on mine. I've done 833 miles since MOT on 3rd June last year!

Reactions: NevMan, Keef and V6_Man
Feel your pain. I'm still dithering around getting online quotes to sell mine. You prompted me to go and check the mileage on mine. I've done 833 miles since MOT on 3rd June last year!

Trust me @scotty76 it is a difficult decision to make and I just disconnected myself completely and posted on a few forums. I still haven't listed the car on Autotrader and might as well do it tonight.

Reactions: scotty76
Trust me @scotty76 it is a difficult decision to make and I just disconnected myself completely and posted on a few forums. I still haven't listed the car on Autotrader and might as well do it tonight.
My brother in law seems to favour selling cars as an eBay classified advert. Apparently that works better for him than Autotrader. YMMV! :)

The plans to sell the car got cancelled as I could not be asked to deal with private / trade sellers and their :wtf: offers...

Despite Govt's 6 months extension to MoT, I decided to get all 3 cars serviced and MoT'd before and just after the lockdown. A3 a serviced / MoT'd a day before the lockdown and 330d and S4 just after. Well, tbh both got serviced and MoT'd as soon as the garages were allowed to open. As 330d gets a lot of abuse, she came up with quite a "healthy" list of advisories, which cost quite a few bucks to get done but I am glad it is fixed now.

S4 on the other hand could've passed its MoT with flying colours but I wasn't in the mood to so, accepted the "front tyres close to limit" mark on the MoT certificate. Will get all 4 corners replaced in a few months as the car only did 3k miles in the last year. And the reason I wasn't in the mood to get tyres replaced just now was because I wanted to upgrade the brakes first!

So, S4 has been treated to Macan 4-pot calipers, StopTech rotors and DS2500 pads to the front as I have been getting brake judder at high speeds for nearly one year :scared2:. Rears are running fine so no need to change them now. For anyone interested in getting the setup, the part numbers are:
Calipers:
Ordered directly from Porsche Silverstone. These are non stock items but get delivered the next day at the dealership and cost £518.some pennies

95B-615-124F
95B-615-123F

Macan 1

Macan 3

Discs
Ordered from FP Racing Glasgow. Fronts have a delivery time of 4 days and rears 2-3 weeks. Zak the owner of FP Racing was recommended by a friend and his prices were the cheapest of all the stealers I’ve spoken with. Cost me £365 for fronts compared to £470+ others were charging. Goes to show the markup people charge these days and their unwillingness to pass it on to the customers.

Fronts: 126-33138 CSR and 126-33138 CSR
Rears: 126-33137CSR and 126-33137CSL

Pads - FCP1334h
Again, ordered from FP racing and cost me £225.

Total cost of parts:
Calipers: £518
Discs: £365
Pads: £225
Total: £1,108

All of this is getting fitted Thursday next week at a garage near Aberdeen. And that is where I can't thank @Sandra enough for helping me find a decent garage around the area. I sent @Sandra a message here on ASN asking for some recommendations and got a phone call within 20 mins of my message, which is simply unbelievable. Goes to show not only she is helpful here on the forum but goes the extra mile to help members looking for advice and guidance. Simply superb and awesome! Once again, many thanks for your help Sandra.​

Last edited:
Reactions: jasper.s, scotty76, jdp1962 and 5 others
The plans to sell the car got cancelled as I could not be asked to deal with private / trade sellers and their :wtf: offers...

Despite Govt's 6 months extension to MoT, I decided to get all 3 cars serviced and MoT'd during the before and after the lockdown. A3 a serviced / MoT'd a day before the lockdown and 330d and S4 just after. Well, tbh both got serviced and MoT'd as soon as the garages were allowed to open. As 330d gets a lot of abuse, she came up with quite a "healthy" list of advisories, which cost quite a few bucks to get done but I am glad it is fixed now.

S4 on the other hand could've passed its MoT with flying colours but I wasn't in the mood to so, accepted the "front tyres close to limit" mark on the MoT certificate. Will get all 4 corners replaced in a few months as the car only did 3k miles in the last year. And the reason I wasn't in the mood to get tyres replaced just now was because I wanted to upgrade the brakes first!

So, S4 has been treated to Macan 4-pot calipers, StopTech rotors and DS2500 pads to the front as I have been getting brake judder at high speeds for nearly one year :scared2:. Rears are running fine so no need to change them now. For anyone interested in getting the setup, the part numbers are:
Calipers:
Ordered directly from Porsche Silverstone. These are non stock items but get delivered the next day at the dealership and cost £518.some pennies

95B-615-124F
95B-615-123F

View attachment 206831

View attachment 206832

Discs
Ordered from FP Racing Glasgow. Fronts have a deliver time of 4 days and rears 2-3 weeks. Zak the owner of FP Racing was recommended by a friend and his prices were the cheapest of all the stealers I’ve spoken with. Cost me £365 for fronts compared to £470+ others were charging. Goes to show the markup people charge these days and their unwillingness to pass it on to the customers.

Fronts: 126-33138 CSR and 126-33138 CSR
Rears: 126-33137CSR and 126-33137CSL

Pads - FCP1334h
Again, ordered from FP racing and cost me £225.

Total cost of parts:
Calipers: £518
Discs: £365
Pads: £225
Total: £1,108

All of this is getting fitted Thursday next week at a garage near Aberdeen. And that is where I can't thank @Sandra enough for helping me find a decent garage around the area. I sent @Sandra a message here on ASN asking for some recommendations and got a phone call within 20 mins of my message, which is simply unbelievable. Goes to show not only she is helpful here on the forum but goes the extra mile to help members looking for advice and guidance. Simply superb and awesome! Once again, many thanks for your help Sandra.​

Long time to see on forum mate. Thought you would have either a SQ7 or RS6 by now. You moved up north?

Reactions: Sandra and V6_Man
Long time to see on forum mate. Thought you would have either a SQ7 or RS6 by now. You moved up north?

Hey Nev. how are you buddy. Work has been extremely busy pretty much since the beginning of the lockdown to an extent that I have been doing 7am-9-10pm for the last 3 months. Just decided enough was enough; no one can continue like this for a long time so, taking family up north for a week or two and work from there.

SQ7 and RS are on-hold at the moment, well for a long time from where I see it. Other things have taken priority. Having said that. I did put down a deposit on one just after the lockdown but then changed my mind .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Sandra
Hey Nev. how are you buddy. Work has been extremely busy pretty much since the beginning of the lockdown to an extent that I have been doing 7am-9-10pm for the last 3 months. Just decided enough was enough; no one can continue like this for a long time so, taking family up north for a week or two and work from there.

SQ7 and RS are on-hold at the moment, well for a long time from where I see it. Other things have taken priority. Having said that. I did put down a deposit on one just after the lockdown but then changed my mind .

All good Tash. I work in IT too, so been pretty hectic since lockdown quickly rolling out Tech, and better online capabilities . Good that you have got away for a break, enjoy So what was it you changed your mind on, SQ or RS?

Top work you are doing on the brakes on the S4 by the way

Hope you're feeling better Tash. Enjoy the family time and look forward to seeing you back on FB

All good Tash. I work in IT too, so been pretty hectic since lockdown quickly rolling out Tech, and better online capabilities . Good that you have got away for a break, enjoy

It is astonishing the speed at which Tech has evolved in the last 3-4 months. Tech refresh and upgrade that we have done during lockdown as well as things happening now, I don’t believe anyone was planning on doing it for the next 3-5 years. And whilst it is good that it has all happened It all came at a price, i.e. both at financial and at human level. Some of us are more maxed out than others...

So what was it you changed your mind on, SQ or RS?

Nothing relating to the car but personal circumstances, which also includes slight changes due to house purchase etc

Top work you are doing on the brakes on the S4 by the way

Cheers buddy. Been on the list for a long time but car wasn’t getting used that much. Finally decided it was time. And it all came after an incident where on the existing setup I experienced scary brake fade at slightly higher speeds. Took me literally around a mile to stop . It was an easy decision after that

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and joedredd