To Clean or Not to Clean?

asste

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought an A4 soft top ('57 plate 2.0T) a few months ago and I'm in somewhat of a quandry about whether to clean the soft top or not: its definitely looking a bid faded and green, and there seem to be plenty of people on these forums that have cleaned, restored and re-proofed theirs successfully, but the advice from the local dealer that supplied the car is that a mohair roof only needs cleaning - no restoring and/or re-proofing necessary.

So, anyone cleaned, restored and re-proofed their soft top and lived to regret it? My gut feeling is that the dealer is a bit wide of the mark, but I thought I'd see if anyone has had any bad post-restoring experiences before I buy the various bits and pieces.

worst stuff was Autoglym best stuff i ever used was RENEVO they do a cleaner and waterproofer, used both and worked really well, came up like new. obv let the cleaner completely dry and than waterproof and let it completely dry and it will look fab, when its wet it can give a diff color appearance but dont worry

Last edited:
I would agree with SL4VE, never used Autoglym but have used Renovo hood cleaner and waterproofer for many years since owning a Triumph Stag. Hardest part is removing the in-grained green. A soft-ish nail brush, patience and I've even used a Vax to try and suck the dirt off rather than hose it further into the hood fabric.
Renovo recommend re-treatment every 6 months but depends whether your car stands out all the time and how damp the hood gets. I generally treat before Winter sets in, on an annual basis.
Try not to get the waterproofer on the windows or paintwork, doesn't damage them but you can see it on there and more effort to polish it off.

i went to brands hatch one with a mate and he had a cab too, both cars were drenched in a storm and stopped raining on the way home. 30 miles later when we got home my hood was bone dry and hes was dripping

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Presumably then my local dealership is wrong to say that A4 hoods don't need reproofing after cleaning?

I'm off work next week so I'll get some Renovo ordered and pray for some dry weather.

Apologies - it seems I have a B7, not a B6, so posted this in the wrong forum!

Last edited:
It depends how well you want to look after your Cab. Everytime you clean the hood you will remove a bit of the waterproofing and so would seem logical to re-waterproof it. I know people who have never properly cleaned or waterproofed their hoods, but their hoods are very dirty and go a lovely shade of green in lots of places. They don't leak, which is a testament to the quality of the hood...choice is yours....
As far as I know, B7 changes didn't affect the hood so it's still relevant.
Good luck and wear old clothes

Quick update: got all the Renovo stuff a while back and cleaned, restored and re-proofed over a weekend - a bit fiddly and messy but worth the effort. I know we haven't really had any decent downpours this summer but what rain we have had rolls off - so far, so good! Thanksto everyone for their input.

sounds good man, you should see the difference after your next wash and hose down

also bugs fly off easier too