To old for the gym !?

Chop.

Reaction score
So as I lay in the bath nursing my back after another gym session I'm wondering who's all out there doing the same

I'm 34 now and been at it for over 10 years and Still lifting heavy squats deads bench but the old back is taking a pounding

Anyone else felling there age or is it just me ?

It hurts more as ee gat older (41 now)

I no longer squat (leg press these days) I rack pull instead of deads.

Takes some pressure of the oldbjoints n tendons lol

Reactions: Chop.
I feel like a change of pace might be on the cards in a few years if not sooner but i don't feel I can change it up yet, I think more painkillers might be an option !

Plus I want a big bench this year !

Last edited:
I was the same till a couple of years ago.
Left rotator cuff gives me too much gip now,lower back,left knee lol

So I approach the iron differently now :)

Only if we knew about those lovely rotator cuffs years ago .

Do you do rotator cuff exercises ?

I find lightening the weights and banging out higher reps (15) helps get around most niggles .

And anti inflammatoris make you feel 21 again.

Chop , do you stretch your lower back ?

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
Yeah I warm up my rotators etc

Just an old injury that will never heal

Anti inflammatorys i like the sound of this !

I'd have to say no in the stretching department, I know better and know I should but I never have, a bit of a warm up is my usual

Could be time to start though !!

Bit of deca-durabolin for those joints? Never too old for the gym, can see me going 'till I drop.

Lol deca just masks the issues

Hahaha a bit of bread and butter

So some stretching and some deca and I'm sorted

Didn't start going to the gym till I was 40, still going 11 years later, not quite as often and I have never bothered lifting big weights, smaller and more reps is the key for me. Try out some of the classes if they have them Body pump is a great all over work out, small weights but loads of reps.
Always hit the Sauna after a work out as this really helps stop acheing the next day.

Nice job !

My gyms more of a spit and saw dust type of place, basement in the royal British legion so it's handy for a pint but no sauna

No classes here though it's heavy steel all the way ;-)

Hahaa

Yesterday i did my first proper session in quite sometime.
Today I have DOMS all in lats,bis,tris n chest lol

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness :)

i'm past my mid 40s now, they say you lose loads of strength per year around this time and it seems they're right! :-D i've been doing nowt for ages due to an arm issue, finally got back to lifting (just ion my house) and i'm down to laughable amounts, but i know enough now to take things very slowly and carefully to avoid cabbaging myself again. i've mostly been doing some low impact cardio workouts from Fitness Blender, who have a great site/YT channel

Well it's squats and bench tomorrow for me, back is slightly better today so hopefully a day of rest today and I'll be good to go !

I'm an Ex PE teacher and played sports at a high level. I'm now not allowed to do anything other than stretching and core stuff using no equipment. Two back surgeries and one pending has put pay to any fitness in my life.
As for not stretching, simplest way to invoke an injury. Your warm up and cool down will give you more benefit to what your trying to achieve than not. Stretching muscles after they have been torn whilst lifting weights allows them to be gently relaxed so more muscle mass will be gained. No stretching and your torn muscles will simply heal and gain very little benefit. When I say torn, I don't mean injured. I mean when you work a muscle the fibres tare slightly and then grow to mend thus you get muscle growth. Stretching aids this development.

Reactions: xpoweruk and Chop.
I'm an Ex PE teacher and played sports at a high level. I'm now not allowed to do anything other than stretching and core stuff using no equipment. Two back surgeries and one pending has put pay to any fitness in my life.
As for not stretching, simplest way to invoke an injury. Your warm up and cool down will give you more benefit to what your trying to achieve than not. Stretching muscles after they have been torn whilst lifting weights allows them to be gently relaxed so more muscle mass will be gained. No stretching and your torn muscles will simply heal and gain very little benefit. When I say torn, I don't mean injured. I mean when you work a muscle the fibres tare slightly and then grow to mend thus you get muscle growth. Stretching aids this development.

Stretching has just been added to me workout !

Reactions: xpoweruk
The more flexible you are the easier your workouts will be and you'll see faster results. What you'll achieve if you incorporate it is a leaner rather than bulky look. Especially if you are lifting heavier weights. The heavier the weight the more good damage you are doing if you are lifting correctly and the stretching will help in your recover.

Get stretching then. Even if you are bulking up you should still be able to do most basic stretches to a high degree.

Too old at 34!!!????? You're in your prime old son! Keep it up!

Now I am 40 something I tend to buy the big Stella bottles and sort of lift them up and down my neck which is my fitness .

Reactions: DieselJake, Scottyg, Chop. and 1 other person
Hahaa

Gotta say I do love some Stella training :)

Just some juice with the dinner.....

Reactions: xpoweruk and Scottyg
It's braw eh, goes down far to easy

No I'll need to try that

Reactions: Scottyg
They go down much easier. It's like drinking Slush Puppies when you were wee but with a kick!! The pub I'm going to later does Strongbrow Dark Fruits on tap. That's another drink that goes like juice.

As its friday night I'm working out again!!!!!