To Quattro or not to Quattro!? (2.0 TDI 190)

peterw47

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve previously owned a 2017 Audi A4 Avant S Line 2.0 TDI 190 from new (company car) but unfortunately it got written off within a couple years when someone drove into the back on me on the motor way

It was my favourite car, I loved it, so I’ve decided to get another! Although this time second hand and go for Black Edition (car allowance this time and don’t want to tie into lease etc).

I was perfectly happy with FWD but I’ve also never driven a Quattro so don’t know what I’m missing. There’s a particular car that looks like a good buy and it’s the Quattro version of the 2.0 TDI 190 (2017) and I’m not sure if it’s worth any potential extra problems!?

Of course there’s more to go wrong, assume there’s some kind of transfer box then prop shaft, rear diff, drive shafts, CV joints etc.

Wondering people’s thoughts on this please? I can’t really see any known problems as such and of course chances are everything will be fine, but I’m just not really sure if it’s worth it for what I’d gain. I live in a town, will be doing motorway driving so it’s not like I desperately need all wheel drive.

Thanks all, will appreciate any views!

Pete

Reactions: Daggerit
Hi all, I’ve previously owned a 2017 Audi A4 Avant S Line 2.0 TDI 190 from new (company car) but unfortunately it got written off within a couple years when someone drove into the back on me on the motor way

It was my favourite car, I loved it, so I’ve decided to get another! Although this time second hand and go for Black Edition (car allowance this time and don’t want to tie into lease etc).

I was perfectly happy with FWD but I’ve also never driven a Quattro so don’t know what I’m missing. There’s a particular car that looks like a good buy and it’s the Quattro version of the 2.0 TDI 190 (2017) and I’m not sure if it’s worth any potential extra problems!?

Of course there’s more to go wrong, assume there’s some kind of transfer box then prop shaft, rear diff, drive shafts, CV joints etc.

Wondering people’s thoughts on this please? I can’t really see any known problems as such and of course chances are everything will be fine, but I’m just not really sure if it’s worth it for what I’d gain. I live in a town, will be doing motorway driving so it’s not like I desperately need all wheel drive.

Pete

I love having Quattro, but I live in a town in Scotland that you have to go up hill to get out of so it’s useful for me when the weather turns white.

Honestly though, if you don’t think you’ll need it then you’ll probably just find it bring down your mpg a bit and when you come to replace tyres you might have to do all four instead of just two.

Beyond that I’ve not had any issues with it so if you can handle the above two points then I’d say go for it because with the torque is a diesel it’ll definitely put the power down better from low speeds where a FWD would normally just wheel spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fozzie1960, peterw47 and Sibmets

Pete

I have a B9 TFSI Quattro TFSI and a friend has the exact same B9 TFSI but non-Quattro.

We once went on a camping trip together both in our A4’s. We’d parked up in a field and it had rained heavily all weekend.

When it came to leaving, my friends non-Quattro A4 literally wouldn’t move out of the mud, just span it’s wheels and dug a hole whereas my Quattro had no issues getting out of the field whatsoever. I actually ended up towing him out of the field in the end!

I’d go for the Quattro all day, as long as you can find one within budget and you’re not losing out on other features that you want like BE as you say or virtual cockpit etc.

Just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont see the point in an A4 without Quattro, dont get me wrong the Audi A4 has perks over its competitors - Sound insulation/Looks of an estate but as a FWD car its just overall not as good a drive as its RWD competitors, so my opinion may be biased.

Anyway I suppose it depends on your circumstances, if you do 25k+ miles a year mostly on the motorway then there isnt much point in Quattro, it just hurts the MPG, buy a merc on Air.

If you do mixed driving its useful and very satisfying, especially on a twisty wet road where you can power out a corner.

I think Quattro is only avaliable with the 265 Petrol and 190 Diesel, I would say you definately need it on the petrol, however the diesel 190 is not that strong that it requires the quattro to put the power down unless your flooring it in 1st. The 3.0 TDI lump was a different story though.

I wouldnt worry about the maintenance of the Quattro system, its prety much 0. There are myths about changing all 4 tyres together etc but thats just not true, in fact I find FWD goes through tyres faster.

Thanks all, I guess it’s the sort of thing I need to try - which of course is proving difficult at the moment! In all honestly I probably don’t really need it, I’m either going to be on the motorway (probably at a standstill on the M25) or will have a 2 year old in the back. Of course when I’m on my own I could have a bit of fun but maybe it’s one to have if the deal is good rather than seek out a Quattro. Also, the other factor is Quattro in some cases tips the scales over £40k list so another £325 on car tax a year for the next couple years!

As it turns out on the one I was looking at has just had the 23CY emissions update and reading into that there’s potential for a lot of problems. So maybe on this occasion I pass

Still interested to hear others’ experiences though..

I was in your position last year (May 2020) and everything I read was to go Quattro.

I tried the FWD but never in a spirited manner so I can only compare apples/oranages in regards to FWD/RWD/Quattro.

For me, I won't be happy if I ever have to go back to FWD/RWD in an Audi again, I love the Quattro system, on most occassions it feels like the car is on rails. Planting my foot mid corner yields no issue to the car and I feel safe in the knowledge I'll get around the bend faster.

Driving in the rain a little faster is no longer worrying, keep those dry road tight lines on a wet surface is easier and pulling away does not yield wheel spin, just progress - plus it doesn't look like it's scurrying away from the junction like a FWD does.

I have experienced some driving on wet, boggy & muddy surfaces and generally the Quattro system handles it well and I haven't been woried placing my wheels off the road when necessary. In a FWD/RWD car I'd always be wary of doing this due to the ease at which you could find yourself stuck and looking like a muppet.

The last part, it has those little Quattro badges, which make it look slightly cooler to your mates! The downside to Quattro is the additional trust your place in the system and the cost associated with a more complex drivetrain and the rubber it wears.

My only RWD car was a BMW 330i and it was so much fun to drive, but it was easy to spin the rears and cause yourself a little brown trouser moment if trying to zip around a roundabout faster than the Citroen Saxo next to you. Wet roads were fine in a straight line but come across a bend and push on and the confidence I had in the rear was lower than the Audi.

The FWD cars I owned were a Ford Focus and a VW Golf. Both fantastic cars but progress was always slower when cornering and the ability to spin the fronts when exiting from a junction in a hurry, to clear an oncoming car, meant you looked like a scurrying rat trying to evade an approaching cat on a slippery surface!

The above is my experience with the 3 drivetrain types and of course, your mileage may vary. We all drive differently and while my style adapted to the car, there are unavoidable differences in each car which can sometimes rear its head.

I tried to remain balanced in the wall of text above, but I am biased towards my current Quattro system.

:)

Reactions: peterw47
Does sound good! I know what you mean pulling out and spinning for what seems to be no reason. Maybe part of the problem is that if I go Quattro I’ll never want to go back I’d end up putting up with any extra cost etc.

Maybe what I really need to do is go all out and find a 3.0 Quattro

Does sound good! I know what you mean pulling out and spinning for what seems to be no reason. Maybe part of the problem is that if I go Quattro I’ll never want to go back I’d end up putting up with any extra cost etc.

Maybe what I really need to do is go all out and find a 3.0 Quattro
Go big or go home!

I have the 190 Quattro and while it runs out of steam if planting your foot at higher speeds, it's more than capable everywhere else and is effortless to drive.

Currently averaging 43MPG over 8.3k miles since last year. Hardly any are motorway. On a long run, I get 50mpg+ easily. That's about 12.7p per mile at 43mpg on fuel.

Overall, it really depends on how long you'll keep the car to reduce your yearly investment cost. I will be keeping mine until 40-50k then the missus will have it until 100k - that's the intention. Currently the car is on 8.3k.

my last 4 company cars were a 2.0. TDI FWD Manual Avant, 2.0 TDI Quattro Manual Avant, 2.0 TDI Quattro Manual A5 and a 3.0 TDI Auto A5.

I’d definitely echo that on most occassions it feels like the car is on rails especially when cornering or at roundabouts in the wet. The odd occasion when I do drive a FWD car is a greater reminder of what the Quattro system is quietly doing in the background.

I found the 2.0TDI had plenty of power but these where all manuals which was an option Audi dropped.

The 3.0TDI was the 218ps version which was simply stunning and delivered an amazing combination of economy and performance. Over 3 years the car averaged 37mpg (mostly short trips in and around town) and on a long motorway would average over 50. It was also quick off the line but where it really excelled was its mid range acceleration. Driving it was effortless and was by far my favourite engine, gearbox, drivetrain combination of the 4 cars.

would definitely recommend trying to find a 3.0ltr and giving it a try- think you would be pleasantly surprised At what it can do.

Last edited:
my last 4 company cars were a 2.0. TDI FWD Manual Avant, 2.0 TDI Quattro Manual Avant, 2.0 TDI Quattro Manual A5 and a 3.0 TDI Auto A5.

I’d definitely echo that on most occassions it feels like the car is on rails especially when cornering or at roundabouts in the wet. The odd occasion when I do drive a FWD car is a greater reminder of what the Quattro system is quietly doing in the background.

I found the 2.0TDI had plenty of power but these where all manuals which was an option Audi dropped.

The 3.0TDI was the 218ps version which was simply stunning and delivered an amazing combination of economy and performance. Over 3 years the car averaged over 30mpg (mostly short trips in and around town) and on a long motorway would average over 50. It was also quick off the line but where it really excelled was its mid range acceleration. Driving it was effortless and was by far my favourite engine, gearbox, drivetrain combination of the 4 cars.

would definitely recommend trying to find a 3.0ltr and giving it a try- think you would be pleasantly surprised At what it can do.
It seems a massive difference between the 2.0 & 3.0 engines with 13mpg.

I’m sure driving style is a factor but personally, I left the 330i because of the poor mpg (26mpg), so 30 would scare me.

Always worth a drive though to make sure you’re certain. When I was looking, I found 3.0 difficult to source so they certainly seem rarer.

Appols - for 30 read 37 :whistle2:. I thought I had corrected (not done) that before posting but clearly I didn’t.

The 3.0TDI is definitely not that common and the 218ps version I had is rarer still But was a brilliant engine

Appols - for 30 read 37 :whistle2:. I thought I had corrected (not done) that before posting but clearly I didn’t.

The 3.0TDI is definitely not that common and the 218ps version I had is rarer still But was a brilliant engine
37 is certainly more tolerable.