To sell or not.

Harny86

Reaction score
Really thinking about selling my 8y.I have only had it 6 weeks but the more I think about it it's a waste for me as I work away paying for a car to sit there.
Webuyanycar has offered £33000 is there anywhere that you guys know that would offer more money?

Take your time to make the decision. Acting quickly is easy in the age of the internet, but regrets still last a long time.

I would have thought that 6 weeks' depreciation would sting.

Reactions: SquidGame, JohnM100, pburv and 2 others
Really thinking about selling my 8y.I have only had it 6 weeks but the more I think about it it's a waste for me as I work away paying for a car to sit there.
Webuyanycar has offered £33000 is there anywhere that you guys know that would offer more money?

What did you pay new if you don't mind me asking ?

Check Motorway out, they give dealers the chance to bid for your car and often this fetches more money.

No affiliation here just a good experience my end.

Have you tried tootle? Have friends who have gone through them.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: daytonamart
Ok I have spoken to Audi to settle this car off its £32,200
Wenuy any car has offered £33000 I have spent a bit money on the car As in de chrome.splitter. de res.
The car also has 3 year service plan with it.
Just really don't know what to do I think of I got offered near £34000 I would let it go straight away lol

Does your opinion change if you look, say, over 5-10 years and think about one car to serve for that time? You might not be using the S3 much at the moment, but if you think of it as a longer term purchase then perhaps that makes a difference in your situation.

Many people view cars as a monthly cost or over the short term, but don't add it up over the years. Selling your S3 now, being free of re-payments for a time but then getting back into another car down the line could be more expensive than just keeping and paying-off the current car. I wonder whether you've paid a large deposit if you owe £32k (list price was presumably closer to £40k)?

I do a fairly low annual mileage across both my vehicles and it's pretty easy for me to talk myself into not spending a lot on these as a result... but it starts to make a lot more sense if I am sure about my needs and stick with my purchase for the longer term - something bought new (or newish) as a keeper and paid off quickly so that it's wholly mine. I've done this over the last 5 years or so with my bikes and a van and I'm getting really good value from things this way. That's what I'm planning with my next car, too.

Unfortunately for me - with my limited miles, on-street parking and family commitments - another S3 or performance car doesn't make sense... but a well-chosen new car should last me many years and work out well compared to changing second-hand cars more regularly. Maybe your current S3 is that car for you?

Reactions: pburv, daytonamart and JohnM100
Does your opinion change if you look, say, over 5-10 years and think about one car to serve for that time? You might not be using the S3 much at the moment, but if you think of it as a longer term purchase then perhaps that makes a difference in your situation.

Many people view cars as a monthly cost or over the short term, but don't add it up over the years. Selling your S3 now, being free of re-payments for a time but then getting back into another car down the line could be more expensive than just keeping and paying-off the current car. I wonder whether you've paid a large deposit if you owe £32k (list price was presumably closer to £40k)?

I do a fairly low annual mileage across both my vehicles and it's pretty easy for me to talk myself into not spending a lot on these as a result... but it starts to make a lot more sense if I am sure about my needs and stick with my purchase for the longer term - something bought new (or newish) as a keeper and paid off quickly so that it's wholly mine. I've done this over the last 5 years or so with my bikes and a van and I'm getting really good value from things this way. That's what I'm planning with my next car, too.

Unfortunately for me - with my limited miles, on-street parking and family commitments - another S3 or performance car doesn't make sense... but a well-chosen new car should last me many years and work out well compared to changing second-hand cars more regularly. Maybe your current S3 is that car for you?
Thanks for the advice mate. I got the car at cost price due to hassle I had with my previous car so deposit was only £800 I've looked and I don't think I will get a deal like this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it was a very good deal for that S3.

One way of thinking about it is that you recently bought a very desirable car with an inventory of at least 15 years or 150,000 miles.

That is its realistic economic lifespan, although you can of course choose to sell it before you reach that point. I'd be asking myself what's good value in that context.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Harny86
Wenuy any car has offered £33000 I have spent a bit money on the car As in de chrome.splitter. de res.
Just really don't know what to do I think of I got offered near £34000 I would let it go straight away lol

Re webuyanycar : Be advised, they don’t like mods. They just want stock cars and will try to knock the price down if it has any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Harny86
send me car details i mihgt be interested

How long have you owned the S3

Last edited:
It got registered in January.
Only reason am thinking of selling it is I'm working offshore and paying alot of money for a car to sit there[/QUOTE

I understand where you're coming from I imagine your gonna take a bit of a hit tho unfortunately

When you say that you would be 'paying off the PCP' (settlement figure = £32,200), do you mean with cash?
Otherwise, how do you sell a car (to wbac or anyone else) that you don't own?
You pay it directly to Audi Finance

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

When I sold my 8V S3 to a private buyer he transferred the money to me, I then called Audi finance while he was at my house and paid the pcp settlement figure off the car. This meant the car finance is settled and then did the v5 giving him his bit and the car was his. The difference between the sale price (to which he obviously agreed) and settlement was my deposit for my next car. He did know the settlement figure though and was fine with it. It was a low mileage car anyway and he was getting a well looked after car. Everyone happy.

Did a similar thing when I sold my golf GTI before that, the guy paid off via his debit card the finance directly, again at my house, V5 and away.

When I sold my 8V S3 to a private buyer he transferred the money to me, I then called Audi finance while he was at my house and paid the pcp settlement figure off the car. This meant the car finance is settled and then did the v5 giving him his bit and the car was his. The difference between the sale price (to which he obviously agreed) and settlement was my deposit for my next car. He did know the settlement figure though and was fine with it. It was a low mileage car anyway and he was getting a well looked after car. Everyone happy.

Did a similar thing when I sold my golf GTI before that, the guy paid off via his debit card the finance directly, again at my house, V5 and away.

Interesting. I didn't know you could do that, as online advice from companies like wbac and others suggests otherwise (see quote below). I assume that these arrangements had the prior approval of the finance company. Its really the order in which things are done. At the moment the buyer transferred the money to you, the car wasn't yours. I appreciate that this was all done at your house etc, but the process requires quite a lot of trust on the buyer's part.

"You’re almost certainly not allowed to sell your car privately, because it’s not yours to sell. Some finance companies will allow it under certain circumstances, but will probably require the buyer to pay them directly, rather than paying you and then you paying the finance company".

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/settle-a-pcp-early-2/

Reactions: daytonamart
Interesting. I didn't know you could do that, as online advice from companies like wbac and others suggests otherwise (see quote below). I assume that these arrangements had the prior approval of the finance company. Its really the order in which things are done. At the moment the buyer transferred the money to you, the car wasn't yours. I appreciate that this was all done at your house etc, but the process requires quite a lot of trust on the buyer's part.

"You’re almost certainly not allowed to sell your car privately, because it’s not yours to sell. Some finance companies will allow it under certain circumstances, but will probably require the buyer to pay them directly, rather than paying you and then you paying the finance company".

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/settle-a-pcp-early-2/

I sold my S3 this afternoon the buyer paid VWFS directly via a BACS transfer so why are you so interested in what others do with their rented cars??

I sold my S3 this afternoon the buyer paid VWFS directly via a BACS transfer so why are you so interested in what others do with their rented cars??
I'm not. Buyer beware and all that. I am fairly new to PCP, so have only so far come across the main 3 options: buy it (pay balloon), hand it back, or px it.
Or to VT it if you really needed to. The idea of "selling it" before the end of contract, rather than px-ing, is new to me. That's all.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I rang blackhorse finance who advised me of my options on selling the golf. That’s how I found out about it.

Reactions: Santiago