Today I've been driving......

Oli.

Reaction score
......a TTS Roadster. Im not interested in buying one, even though it is a fine machine, but it was the magnetic ride that I was interested in.

My S3 was in Worthing Audi this week for some warranty work, and when I took their Audi A4 SE 'Ark Royal'(you can tell I don't like it) back I mentioned about the magnetic ride on the new S3, and were they getting a demo with it, to see if I might consider spending a grand on it, IF I get a S3 Sportback. The sales manager said they had a Sportback coming but not with MR, but they had a TTS if I wanted to try it. So instead of picking my S3 up, I took their TTS -R home for the night.

S6300906.jpg

S6300910.jpg

S6300909.jpg

S6300908.jpg

S6300907.jpg

S6300912.jpg

S6300911.jpg

I Love the car a great drive, but I don't think its worth the extra over the S3, other than the fact its a convertible. Compared to my S3 it feels very slow - even though it isn't - obviously!

MAGNETIC RIDE - Would I have it - In a word no - Great when driving hard, but certainly not worth the £900 they want for it on the S3, but I still want to drive the S3 with it on, just in case. It makes the ride very hard and jittery when engaged(like a badly lowered car almost), its so much smoother with it off. Don't get me wrong when really driving it, its awesome, but its also awsome without it engagedOne thing I have learnt is I love the RNS-e, and I will definately be fitting this IF I get a new S3.

Oh and finally the exhaust note on the TTS is awesome, even better than my Milltek, I wish the standard system sounded like this on my car. Oh and I love the wheels, they should be an option in the S3:)

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the magnetic ride. I ordered it on my s3. Ok, I've only driven the standard car and found the ride to be a little harsh for comfort driving so I figured the MR would allow some refinment when not pushing on. How did the two rides on the MR compare with the standard? Was it in between the two settings or closer to the
harder setting?

Am a little perplexed that you're not going for it as it sounds awesome......."when really driving it, its awesome, but its also awsome without it engaged"

So you've got a temporary NVQ Oli? Well done!

Does anyone (apart from the custom makers of course) make a double twin exhaust like that for the S3?

I agree with your comments 75%.

The exhaust note tho... pppffft. What note?? A38 tunnels are good for a bit of sound blasting but I may as well have been doing it in mine.

RNS-E makes the interior look miles better... loaner I had didnt have it... GGRR.

Noice looking car.

Shameless pluggin of your business in the background though Hahah!!

I agree with your comments 75%.

The exhaust note tho... pppffft. What note?? A38 tunnels are good for a bit of sound blasting but I may as well have been doing it in mine.

RNS-E makes the interior look miles better... loaner I had didnt have it... GGRR.

When I drove one the exhaust note was well loud and throaty!

Take it you are not comparing it to your S3 as it is different???

I've got a Megane R26 this week, so a report will follow, and then next week for two weeks I've got a Focus ST - Not really looking forward to that, but its always good fun blasting other cars about

When I drove one the exhaust note was well loud and throaty!

Take it you are not comparing it to your S3 as it is different???

I wasnt 'comparing' it exactly... just saying that theres no exhaust note on the S3 really and non on the TT-S.

It sounds fine of course, just not something I would ever say is awesome.

I thought the TT-S exhaust note was well noisy, the one i drove was anyway!

I've got a Megane R26 this week, so a report will follow, and then next week for two weeks I've got a Focus ST - Not really looking forward to that, but its always good fun blasting other cars about

Drove both.

R26 has excellent handling and steering feel, far better than the S3, but not as quick or savage (acceleration).

The Focus ST was OK, lovely exhaust note if the revs are blipped (bubbles and bangs!) but its a thirsty beast and not that quick really at high speeds.

Ive had the ST(pre-facelift) before and found it horrible to be honest - crap interior trim, sitting too high, and lots of understeer. Bu ford have just chucked this at us again, as its the facelift, so I might as well put some miles on it. I have already enquired as to whether they are putting the RS on their demo list, and when I can get a go?

The R26 is a great drive, not sure I can get past the french interior though - miles away from VW or Audi - but all the same, fantastic value, fast and apparently the fastest standard FWD car round the nurburgring?? so I'm told.

I think Im just a German car snob - nothing wrong with that though

I think Im just a German car snob - nothing wrong with that though

Me too and proud of it!

Once you have had one I could not live with things such as the interiors of the ST or Megane as you say.

Interesting thoughts on the Magnetic Ride...the system is always on, and the switch only changes modes, but never turns it off. It's always active, monitoring the movements, and is similar to Porsche PASM in that respect

I have it on our TT 3.2, and when in comfort mode, the ride is better than an equivalent standard or sport suspension model. When switching into sport mode, it's undoubtedly firmer than a sport suspension option

Comfort mode allows the car to actively change the settings so that if you are pushing it, the dampers will react to this and become firmer...sport mode just puts the dampers onto the firm setting from the outset :)

We bought our TT as a 6 month old used car, and although I was a bit sceptical at first, I really think it's one of the key options for a TT

Also, the TT-S has a 10mm lowered version of Magnetic Ride...I guess the S3 will have that version also, rather than the version that the first Mk2 TTs had

I think I saw that AMD had a lowering solution for mag ride too

I think you may enjoy that one - very good according to my mate and he has had a good number of scoobies and Evos - he currently runs a 225 with the cup chassis.

Paul