Facelift Too German??

RSS-S3

Reaction score
ok I have said it!

The S3 is too German and too safe.
although its speed is ferocious...
And its all weather confidence is fantastic, I think the car lacks the fun facter of somethinf like the M140i or indeed the new Civic type R

Ive certainly become very bored in the last 3 months!

The new Type R is really starting to look good ;)

Reactions: richinsoton
Too German, just like the BMW!

You're lucky to have an S3.

Reactions: SeoTFSI, James Travis, TDI-line and 4 others
You could go for a Ford Mustang - guaranteed life changing injuries if one crashed in one of those death traps !

Reactions: James Clatworthy, Joe4842, RSS-S3 and 4 others
S3 and Type-R is a ridiculous comparison. They don't compete with each other at all. Apart from being of similar size and power, that's it.

The S3 is specifically targetted at people who want accessible performance with the surefootedness of all-wheel drive in a luxury package. The Type-R is the ultimate evolution of the archetypal "hot hatch", totally focused on performance and handling at the expense of everything else and with extreme styling to match (personally I think it looks like it's been 'styled' by an eight-year-old). The BMW attempts to bridge the gap by blending the performance/handling focus of dedicated hot hatches like the Type-R with prestige and luxury.

It sounds to me like the Type-R is more what you're looking for which begs the question of why you bought the S3 in the first place as it patently wasn't what you were looking for.

Reactions: SeoTFSI, James Travis, richinsoton and 7 others
Get it mapped and you will change your mine completely.

Reactions: batch
Yer too young for the S3...Ye where succumbed by the Audi.....S3....pizzaz....simples....and now your kinda trapped into a Audi pcp deal....only way out is to fork out....£££....

Reactions: Russkiya, BarryG79, richinsoton and 4 others
The new CTR might be exciting to thrash around a good back road but I'd seriously doubt it would be as good on a long boring motorway journey.

The S3 however would.

Go and drive a sh*te car for a few weeks, then you'll realise you have a car that is damn good.

Reactions: BarryG79 and Scottyg
I was thinking this about my s3 8p, but then I thought: 'what other cars look as good, are quick, and inspire confidence in the wet?' Not many! It's such a good all rounder. I was thinking of going back to Honda but I think it's a step backwards tbh.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Get it mapped and you will change your mine completely.

Got to disagree with this big time.....just by adding a power increase wont make any difference as to how it drives...probably make it worse

Reactions: KenL, Audi Bairn, GSB and 1 other person
Got to disagree with this big time.....just by adding a power increase wont make any difference as to how it drives...probably make it worse
I don't see how it could be worse unless your clutch goes. Quicker has got to be more fun!

Reactions: froggyr32

That's my feeling too. For sure, we don't all get excited by the same things in a car but more speed wouldn't be what I would throw at an S3. I'd have liked more power up the Rev range of course but top priority for me would be adjustable dampers and upgraded brakes.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Flying Scotsman, Djs3saloon and 1 other person
That's my feeling too. For sure, we don't all get excited by the same things in a car but more speed wouldn't be what I would throw at an S3. I'd have liked more power up the Rev range of course but top priority for me would be adjustable dampers and upgraded brakes.
Maybe I'm just thinking of my 8p then, does feel sluggish at times.

The S3 appeals to certain type of person. The CTR, Focus RS, Renaultsport Megane etc. appeal to a differnet type of person.

Despite knowing from experience that the likes of a Focua RS or a new CTR will run rings around my S3, I couldn't put up with the compromises that would involve, namely;

-The lesser standards of design, materials and integration in the interior and electronics,

-The noise

-The ride

-The image

-The aesthetically displeasing styling.

-Some would add to that list the low-rent badge on the radiator grille. Personally not a problem for me, I'd buy a Mazda just as soon as I'd buy a Bentley, but let's face it, half of the Audi's appeal to the masses is the "premium" badge.

Reactions: Jassyo06, James.B8, Joe4842 and 3 others
The S3 is a production hot hatch and is designed to be safe in the hands of Jo Average on public roads.......

Take it on a track day and turn off all the safety features and see if you still feel the same

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn, TDI-line and 1 other person
@RSS-S3 @GSB A little bit off topic but could you tell me, does the S3 with manual gearbox rev-match for you on the downshift if you cba doing it yourself? Thanks.

@RSS-S3 @GSB A little bit off topic but could you tell me, does the S3 with manual gearbox rev-match for you on the downshift if you cba doing it yourself? Thanks.
No. It's a proper manual I'm afraid. It's one of the few areas of the car not touched by the genourous drizzling of tech that's applied to the rest of the car.

Reactions: Satory
It's not the car its the driver in my eyes. Nobody drives these cars on a "daily basis" as they should be.

Criticism is always there regardless of what you have and what you have done.

It's all circumstantial but why are there folks putting bigger turbos etc and modding cars all over the world up to and including Bugattis.

There's even guys buying golf Rs now just because there a slightly better drive OMG !

Wow :grin: I drop a feather and the world explodes.....

Not did at one point did I say the s3 was a bad car....... however I did say its too safe and frankly after living with it for a little while Ive decided I want the insane to give me The fix I need from driving and cars!

Not at one point did I compare the S3 to a CTR or a Fat and bloated Focus RS for that matter....

As some have said it what "you" determin as good for yourself!

As the magazines and reviews say the S3 is a great car for the day to day and also will deliver out and out speed... with a dollop of comfort and technology.

But for me Its not delivering the
"ferret in your trousers" driving experience

Speed is not everything either...

Its a great car, but time to
Pull out the dollar and go searching for that ferret!
;)

Reactions: JDHOWELLS
ok I have said it!

And its all weather confidence is fantastic, I think the car lacks the fun facter of somethinf like the M140i or indeed the new Civic type R

Ive certainly become very bored in the last 3 months

Followed a new Type R along a road the other day, IMO looks like a teenager has bought every conceivable tacky Max Power add on from Halfords, someone should've told the designer to chill out..

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Followed a new Type R along a road the other day, IMO looks like a teenager has bought every conceivable tacky Max Power add on from Halfords, someone should've told the designer to chill out..

I personally think its great that honda have been let loose!

Yer too young for the S3...Ye where succumbed by the Audi.....S3....pizzaz....simples....and now your kinda trapped into a Audi pcp deal....only way out is to fork out....£££....
Come on jassy, too young?

I wasnt aware we could only buy certain cars when in certain age brackets :tearsofjoy:

(Although if I make it to 50 i may have to buy a XJ to cart the golf clubs around in!)

Reactions: PanamaS3, Jassyo06 and Djs3saloon
Not at one point did I compare the S3 to a CTR or a Fat and bloated Focus RS for that matter....

You did in your first post.... :grimacing:

Reactions: Djs3saloon and Audi Bairn
S3 and Type-R is a ridiculous comparison. They don't compete with each other at all. Apart from being of similar size and power, that's it.

The S3 is specifically targetted at people who want accessible performance with the surefootedness of all-wheel drive in a luxury package. The Type-R is the ultimate evolution of the archetypal "hot hatch", totally focused on performance and handling at the expense of everything else and with extreme styling to match (personally I think it looks like it's been 'styled' by an eight-year-old). The BMW attempts to bridge the gap by blending the performance/handling focus of dedicated hot hatches like the Type-R with prestige and luxury.

It sounds to me like the Type-R is more what you're looking for which begs the question of why you bought the S3 in the first place as it patently wasn't what you were looking for

Sometimes you cant predict how well a car will fit into your driving/lifestyle in the future. Sometimes we make the wrong purchases in life.... worse problems to be had for sure! :tonguewink:
:tongueclosed: ......also the latest Type R was only a flick of a designers pencil, when I ordered my S3.
The last shape Type R had loads of issues too.
But the magazines are going crazy for the latest series... would be nice to own a car the fits My persona .......... unlike the 50+ Midlife somethings that usually end up in The Mad hatches. Trying to reclaim lost youth for when they owned a Mk3 capri back in the day ......:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Tom.H
ok I have said it!

It's German and basically designed to be safe to drive at 150-160 mph ( or more) on German autobahns. It's the UK speed limits that are the problem not the car.

ok I have said it!

And its all weather confidence is fantastic, I think the car lacks the fun facter of somethinf like the M140i or indeed the new Civic Type R

Hmmm. Is this a comparison?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Djs3saloon
The S3 saloon suits my driving aspirations...size, interior finish, adequate power and brakes, superb DSG transmission. The areas that could be improved are a more supple suspension, better steering feed back, initial turbo lag and running out of steam above 5000 rpm. IMO those are minor driving niggles that and do not detract from my overall impressions. Yes, there are other cars that I would prefer for certain driving conditions...long (7 hour) journeys, great driving roads which really test the mettle of a car, but, the S3 covers most of the bases very well.
I am still a big fan of taking any prospective new car for a minimum of a 4 hour test drive, as only then can you start to observe minor or major issues you may have with that vehicle's driving experience on different road conditions and is this the car for you. That is one of the reasons I did not cancel my order for an S3 and replace it with RS3. As, I may have been disappointed with some of the driving dynamics, once I got over the great engine/exhaust note. I would love to test drive an RS3 but the chances at this time, or the near future of a dealer having a demo are slim to none.
The most common complaints I hear by new car owners of any brand of car are suspension, too soft,too hard... tire noise, wind noise....uncomfortable seats... sound system issues, etc. A lengthy test drive may allow you to evaluate some of these shortcomings.
The OP has now come to the opinion that the S3 does not have the driving dynamics he desires and there is nothing wrong if he wants to give the Honda Civic R a whirl and I think it probably is a very involving driving experience...dare I say, way more so, than an S3.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Jassyo06, Satory and 2 others
ok I have said it!

get her mapped then ; )

I thought this was "too German":

audi_rs3_german_style_air_ride_by_srka-d7vxd0f.jpg

Reactions: richinsoton, PanamaS3 and RSS-S3
I reckon some of the responses show the market the S3 is aimed at ;)
I totally agree with RSS-S3.

As you get older you should get wiser..............fast Audi's have their own appeal but all S/RS models are a little too grown up, if you understand that and choose that then all is well. However, I am also getting the itch for something a little bit more playful/edgy and the CTR and RS are way more playful and in my market way cheaper. Power does not affect the edgyness of the car, it just gets you to corners quicker which again is a very Germanic approach.

The Audi without doubt has a lovely cabin and is incredibly effective at covering distance at highly illegal speeds with a decent safety margin but having driven the new CTR the interior is very well put together, has fantastic seats, goes like stink, admittedly way too much red going on but does remind of what 300bhp car should feel like. Sometimes I have to remind myself the S3 has more power than a lot of Cossies and even Integrale Evos yet still feels totally planted!

I for one chose the S3 as getting to an airport car park at 1am most weeks and having to drive home quickly but safely there is little else better BUT sometimes I would prefer a little less grown up. Late 40s is the new late 20s.

The CTR needs a bit of toning down but as a piece of engineering is very impressive..........go try one.

Reactions: richinsoton, PanamaS3, RSS-S3 and 1 other person
ok I have said it!

Wow :grin: I drop a feather and the world explodes.....

you lit the touch paper bud!!!!

(Although if I make it to 50

But for me Its not delivering the
"ferret in your trousers" driving experience

IMHO it sound like you want to drive beyond what is a reasonable limit on a public road an I am no talking about the speed limit

Pull out the dollar and go searching for that ferret!

word of advice buy a track car and do it on the track so there is a better chance you wont take another life with yours

Reactions: h5djr and Audi Bairn
you lit the touch paper bud!!!!

IMHO it sound like you want to drive beyond what is a reasonable limit on a public road an I am no talking about the speed limit

word of advice buy a track car and do it on the track so there is a better chance you wont take another life with yours

What the actual ****?

Where did I endorse speeding?? Considering I was actually talking about handling rather than speed........

I certainly DO NOT encourage dangerous driving!!!