Torn between a scirocco and another A3 HELP

Lewis90

Reaction score
As the title says,

ive had enough trouble with my current A3 its sickened me enough to want to get a newer model,

I know most will say audi but i would love to hear different peoples opinions.

I think the scirocco is a peach of a car, and the tdi engines are exemplary throughout the range.

Rocco for me, had a couple of A3's so time for a change with the next car.

The rocco's look smart inside and out, i'd have to get a white one if it was me though, i think that's the best colour.

Although i'm getting the itch for an red 08 onwards (run out model before the new shape A4) Audi A4 S-line Quattro TDI Cabriolet though, keep finding myself browsing them on the autotrader a lot recently.

If your wanting a coupe Try a TT Tdi Quattro...just sold mine after 3 years of trouble free fun motoring, such a different beast to the A3

From my observations the VW seems to be owned by those who were probably driving a Saxo just a year or so ago. Gut feeling tells me that soon we wil see them on silly big wheels and tinted glass and shouty loudy after-market exhausts.
An unmessed with Audi is always going to have more discreet class.

I was thinking about a roc as my next car but just don't think i could cope with having a MK5 golf dash, my mk5 dash used to squeek and rattle all the time! nice looking car though

See if you can watch the Top Gear edition where they test drive the 2.0TDI version Sciroccoo. You then might stick with Audi. They didnt have 1 descent thing to say about it.

Lovely car the roc id have one in a second probably would have one over my Audi but agree with what was mentioned that dash just makes my eyes water, why oh why they couldn't make that look half decent is beyond me. So my answer to my question is yes to the outside and inside just a massive NO to the dash.

I personally think the interior is top notch in the VW. It's the outside that's dated already! I think it was a fad car!

Also the engines are the same as used in the Audis!

Had a MK5 Golf GTI, looked at the Rocco, but found it rather small inside, with poor driving position.
A3 is better, so I opted for the A3.

To me a scirocco is just a golf with a different body on top. :p

Cheers lads,

i dont think i will let the dash put me off as i think the fascia is nice in black ( not to sure about the silver one ) over all though im 21 and came from a corsa to an audi, so i havent got much to compare the dash against, i think i would be fairly happy with the scirocco with the black headlining and such, solely because i like the dark cabin i have in my current A3. Plus its the same engine and i know how good the TDI lump is.

I definately want another DSG no matter what i get.

Once again, thanks for all the opinions

hate the looks of the rocco, looks like someone sat on it and squashed it but having said that.. in the right colour with the right wheels it can look good... drove the GTD variant and it made up for the looks... impressive torque and mpg... and that was without a remap as well.. inside.. the softer plastics add a luxury kind of feel... and liked the ways the dials changed colour from blue-red indicating the sportier mode... cool feature but soon forgot about it... shame the insurance on it is so high but yeh i liked it... and if i had decided to get a new s3 then i probably would have gone for the rocco. they are much better customisable now than before... when they came out the options were limited e.g. you could only have a rubbish grade of sat nav but the options are opened up now...

To me a scirocco is just a golf with a different body on top. :p

Nothing like the A3 then??

Haven't looked around either closely, but from a distance the scirocco looks loads better, I suppose it's best to test both and make your decision on that

Drove a 20T Rocco and was impressed.
Interior quality was very good too.

Also a fan of the Mk5 Golf if thats a consideration, the 3dr MK5 has more interior space than the A3 3Dr, mostly due to the Golfs higher roofline.
The A3 has a better cabin finish than the MK5 Golf though.

All great cars, you cant lose whichever you chose.

We have the A5 and wanted something cheaper on payments as we are Home owners now plus with this recession and fuel I think you have to save ya pennies. After research in most including KIA's etc I then had a compromise with the Mrs and said the Rocco, so off we went to the VW dealership and when we first set eyes on the car we thought great thats what we want. 30 minutes later and looking at the car we ended up not liking the way the car looked. It started to look like a PUG and the new astra GTC so we walked away. I then went to the Honda Garage, to have a look at the new Civic, its pants unless you are 60! We then ended up at the Audi Garage and just ordered an A3 170 in black, which is similiar to what I had before. I would have the Golf over the Rocco

Whatever you do, don't get a TT tdi!:puke2:That combination is just wrong.. You buy an impractical (effectively 2 seat) car with a decent chassis, and then put a heavy, noisy diesel lump in it!? Only thing worse is to buy a roadster version so you can hear the clatter:lmfao: feel free to flame away here, people, but that is most definitely a case of style over substance

Wow, this posts caught on quick, i must say i love the scirrocco but i think its a matter of having a test drive and not letting the looks sell me. i think i would opt for the 170 version this time round. whats insurance like one the 170's compared to the 140's. Also my a3 is 2005 with the 140 lump in, is it the same engine in the newer ones or is it a newer engine?

It's now a cr engine in the A3's. I love the look of them and I nearly got one but by the time I put the same extra's on the Scirrocco it was nearly 2.5k more expensive so I had to go for the A3 which I think is the nicer looking car...

Cheers,
Si

Whatever you do, don't get a TT tdi!:puke2:That combination is just wrong.. You buy an impractical (effectively 2 seat) car with a decent chassis, and then put a heavy, noisy diesel lump in it!? Only thing worse is to buy a roadster version so you can hear the clatter:lmfao: feel free to flame away here, people, but that is most definitely a case of style over substance

I'll bite :yahoo:

4 adults can fit in it :p
Totally practical!!!, fits mountain bike with seats down, or 2 peeps for a weeks climbing or baby seat plus pram and bits fit without problem.:lazy:
How often do you use all 4 seats on a car anyway?

You'd be surpirsed how ballanced the chassis is with a TraTor lump in the front, it is like marmit is surpose, and a lot of people cant see beyond the Tdi badge lol
TBH mate the clatter from the tappets/Air recirc on the TFSI lump is far worse than that diesel mind hahahah

Totally practical!!!, fits mountain bike with seats down, or 2 peeps for a weeks climbing or baby seat plus pram and bits fit without problem.:lazy:

You'd be surpirsed how ballanced the chassis is with a TraTor lump in the front, it is like marmit is surpose, and a lot of people cant see beyond the Tdi badge lol
TBH mate the clatter from the tappets/Air recirc on the TFSI lump is far worse than that diesel mind hahahah

To be fair I will agree with the TFSI noise. My old Leon was just as noisy as my new A3 Derv. I used to have people all the time say is that a diesel.

I personally think the interior is top notch in the VW. It's the outside that's dated already! I think it was a fad car!

Also the engines are the same as used in the Audis!

I agree with the above but also think some the interior is off the mark. I test drove a Rocco last year, the drive was fine but its already looking old. the back end is poor imo

Fair play mate.. Lovely defence! The TFSI "death rattle" does sound shocking! Just seems a shame to buy a car like that and not have it at it's potential? (I guess not everyone can afford a ttrs, but at least a TTS?)
As for the practicality - is it more practical than your SB? And I notice you now have an S3 :whistle2: - no DERV this time then?:)
I constantly have four people if not five in my car as I have a family... So even my 3 door a3 is becoming less attractive..
I guess sometimes I'm just too much of a petrol head for common sense:blush: - my last TT was a Stage 3 animal.. although I do concede the boot was suprisingly large!
Gotta ask? how big are these four oompah loompahs you managed to fit in your TT, I'm 6ft 3" and with my seat at the correct position, you'd have to have no legs to sit behind me in one :lmfao:

Reactions: IceHanger
got to be a scirocco, never liked the a3 shape

looks good in the right form and sounds f...ing nice, theres a white one with black windows round my way, sounds like a full custom exhaust and lowered nicely.