Tough choice RS3 to RS5 ? Opinions?

Macdaddy

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a dilemma and would like fellow petrol head/RS3 Owners opinions as tbh i'm not sure.. (Apologies if you've read it on FB)

I've been offered an RS5 as a replacement to the RS3, The car in question is fully loaded however 2yrs old and has 25k on the clock.

Residuals on an RS5 being 2yrs old now surely is going to be better as the big hits already gone, The RS3 surely has a big hit to take in the next 12 months.

TBH i'm just so pee'd at the RS3 and a bit disheartened with it but i don't want to make the wrong decision.

Would you stick or swap?

Are you going to loose anything on the RS3? as I know a few are getting full refunds!?!

But you know my views....Stick! :salute:

Reactions: 45bvtc and Macdaddy
How it works is Audi get an independent in to value your car (BCA) then they have to find a car of equal value to replace it with.

The dealer must supply the replacement car (If used) at the 'cost' price to them so potentially a forecourt priced up RS5 at 42k you may get at a 35k cost. (Hope that makes sense)

My cars been valued by BCA at 35k

Having driven an RS5 I'd stick simple as that

Reactions: Macdaddy and 45bvtc
How it works is Audi get an independent in to value your car (BCA) then they have to find a car of equal value to replace it with.

The dealer must supply the replacement car (If used) at the 'cost' price to them so potentially a forecourt priced up RS5 at 42k you may get at a 35k cost. (Hope that makes sense)

My cars been valued by BCA at 35k

So why are some on here getting full refunds for rejecting their cars?....unless they are talking B/S!?! :Flush:

Not sure tbh,

If they are then that changes things a bit! Although tbf i had asked for them to source a replacement and NOT a full refund... Perhaps thats why?

Not sure tbh,

If they are then that changes things a bit! Although tbf i had asked for them to source a replacement and NOT a full refund... Perhaps thats why?

Perhaps! Perhaps! Perhaps!....Arrrggghhh! got the theme tune to 'Coupling' in my head now....remember that? lol....No? oh! okay! :whistle2:

Will a RS5 needs to rev up (seems max torque is above 4000rpm?) for you to feel similar torque in low rev as the RS3? Guess if so, it really depends on your driving habbits....

You know my thoughts.. But then again a change is as good as a rest..

Is the tax more on the RS5?
More fuel?
bigger tyres?
More insurance?

Just thinking of the added expense.

Reactions: Macdaddy
You know my thoughts.. But then again a change is as good as a rest..

Is the tax more on the RS5?
More fuel?
bigger tyres?
More insurance?

Just thinking of the added expense.

if it needs more tax
uses more fuel
has bigger tyres
and costs more to insure.....

its usually better lol

if it needs more tax
uses more fuel
has bigger tyres
and costs more to insure.....

its usually better lol

Hmmm I know a car that doesn't fit to that rule.

Mk5 R32 Golf - £460 a year to tax, not better than an RS3 which is cheaper to tax.

It depends on what you want from a car to be honest. I also know what DK's views on both cars are but then his RS3 was a company car and his comparison was against a TT-RS which being lighter was always going to win. If you don't need the extra doors, can live with lower fuel economy and higher tax and want V8 noise with better tech then why not an RS5. However some of DK's criticisms were down to its economy vs a lighter TT-RS which being lighter will also have better grunt and a lot down to the Continentals which are widely recognised as being a crap tyre for the RS3. He'll be modifying his RS5 and if you modify the RS3 with the same budget you get better gains power and performance.

You won't go wrong with either car. I can appreciate the OP's issues with the 3 but aftermarket adjustments will vastly improve the car.

I'll have to wait and see what Audi come up with then, At the minute the car that was a potential replacement for me has too many miles.

I also got told the lower splitter which was pebble dash couldnt be painted........... So i cant see me paying 40k+ for a pebble dashed car!

Reactions: Moschops
I also got told the lower splitter which was pebble dash couldnt be painted.

Get it wrapped! :thumbsup:

You'll not have the fun you had on Sunday in an RS5 mate, can you imagine all the accountants and drug lords at an RS5 meet? lol, also find me a good review of an RS5 and then make up ya mind.

Reactions: MBK, Macdaddy and 45bvtc
In fairness the facelift RS5 is a far better drive as it uses the underpinnings fromt he B8 RS4 but it sounds like you are being offered a pre facelift? Like said it depends on what you need / want from a car

In fairness the facelift RS5 is a far better drive as it uses the underpinnings fromt he B8 RS4 but it sounds like you are being offered a pre facelift? Like said it depends on what you need / want from a car

Yea its pre facelift, I thought it was a nice drive tbh.

There much difference over the new version then?

Don't do it MacDaddy.......:( if you split I'm left surrounded by a bunch of old farts......... as you said 'Keyboard Warrior' in full effect
968f3f61950d26136e51a09f9d309428_zpsc7d37b0d.jpg

Who you calling old?:p

ha ha ha ha no one, just trying to keep MacDaddy Maccing....... If you try'd to do the circuit we did on Sunday in an RS5..... well let's just say you'd be doing a few 3-point turns........ Spoke to Audi customer services today, they confirmed the fix is now available, just waiting for my slot to be confirmed. I registered my case months ago as you know so I've been assured I'm near the top......

Reactions: 45bvtc, Macdaddy and CatnipRS3
Haha

Yea the RS5 is wider than the track!

Reactions: robbiemac
I have driven a pre facelift RS5 as well and in comparison with the RS3 is a big bardge that dosent handle as well. It definatly look classier but as others have said not worth the extra running costs. On a private road from 45 - 145 in a straight line the RS5 pulled about half a car length on me and I have no dodoubt it is no were near as nimble as the 3

IMHO stick with the 3

Good choice, shame for the brakes to put you off a good car.

Boom..........
728acb132b68ec77b550117d71a92e52_zpse011e0c6.jpg
'
You're in good company.......

Old? Good call on keeping the 3... Brakes sorted and a stage 1 and bye bye RS5