tow hook numberplate

DanBastow

Reaction score
hi i've just brought a black honey comb grill for my a3 and a like the clean look of thegrill with no number plate on it so ive been looking at mounting a square numberplate to my car using a tow hook mount as i dont like the look of stickers and i drive past a ploice station every day so i cant really not have one. im wanting to know what people think and if anyones done this before?

Hi,
I originally wanted to do this but it seemed like the only seller for a tow hook frame when I looked was in America and it didn't seem worth it. On the other hand I have seen a user on here who has mounted a square plate onto the fog light grill if it helps: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/chops-s4-thread.252812/

For now, I just have the number plate cable tied to the grill. My car looks too plain without it and I feel the crash bar/bumper stands out a lot more when I remove the plate

Reactions: quattrogrip
I never thought about that bar the holder I've brought was £8 off eBay so I'll wait for that to come on 2-6 weeks but I might remove my plate holder that's on my stock grill and see how oviouse it is and think if it'll look better painted black

Yeah everyone on here generally paints it black, I didn't fit the grill myself so I haven't done it but my crash bar is covered by a part of the bumper which is dark grey so it isn't too bad, but its noticeable. I do want to paint it black but I'm just being lazy.

Update. The tow hook holder came yesterday and he sent the wrong one. So I've messaged the seller and I'm not expecting anything To happen so I've brought a used tow eye and going to make the part myself

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 498
Ah that sucks :/. Let me know how the DIY goes, What size number plate did you end up getting?

I haven't got around to making the part yet. I might do it today. And the plate is the standerd square pressed metal plate

The holders. Been made at the moment the paints drying

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 512
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 518
Reactions: Chop.
hi mate go for a 8x6in bike plate its half the size of the standard square plate which is far too big for the front IMO but with legal font and spacing iv had mine on the car nearly 2 years and have never been stopped yet ( cue blue lights on way home in the morning )

I already have all the parts here or ordered I should have the last pice in this expensive jigsaw on Thursday so I can get my bumper resprayed and new grill fitted. But I can go to that size if I feel that mines too big. I have looked and I thought that it looks about the right size when holding it in place. But this is a mod that not meny people like (as you know) so I'll keep an opened mined about going for a smaller plate but before it gose on and I can have a good look I can't say

Good job mate I love a wee project and any way to show that full grill All the time without messing about taking plates on and off gets my vote

I prefer the square plate to the bumper sticker plates I think they can look like a bit of an after thought sometimes a fixed plate just seems better IMO but each to there own, iv still got a sticker plate in my boot incase I get police troubles

Stick with what u like mate you might not get a lot of love for the square plate set up but that didn't stop me :)

Reactions: KJBA
I know what you mean my brother wants me to have a sticker but I persanaly don't like the look. Just like I don't like the look of cars that are slammed but everyone's diffrant. I'm not going to carry extra plates for if a cop pulled me over I might keep a printed off page on of the regulations. As I know that there legal so I don't want to carry unnessasery weight

Iv got a made up sticker plate in the boot, no extra weight and if I had to take my small plate off I can just stick that on the bumper job done

I was joking about the weight. But still I'm not spending anymore on my numberplates I'm at £80 and all I have to show for it ATM is my desk at work covered in diffrant parts

Hahaha sorry just up from night shift so not functioning correctly yet :)

I know the feeling Iv been through about £400 on front splitters :-/

I gave the holder a test fit yesterday (held by bluetac ) I don't think I need a smaller plate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 967
Good job mate, I'd go smaller plate from experience IMO it looks much better but obv it's your motor :sunglasses:

Yes it might be something to do later I dont wanna keep chucking money at it I need to do a bit of saving again

Nice, what do you think now that you have seen it on your own car?

I think it looks brillant IMO it looks way better than a sticker. But it is going to give the police more than one reason to pull me over if they haven't met their quota for that day; pressed mettel plates and an offset number plate

The offset plate isn't illegal, as long as the plate is displayed at the front of the vehicle there's not an actual area set out that plates must be displayed in

Pressed mettel plates aren't illegal eather but they pull a lot of people over for them and gives them fixed fine

I agree with chop, I believe its the sizing, spacing and it being at the front that's important (when you think about it Alfa Romeos number plates are offset from the factory so that shouldn’t be a problem) but I have no idea about pressed plates

also a lot of import jap cars have the plates like I'm having but a lot of people do get pulled for mettel plates even thoght theres nothing in legastashon saying you cant have it i have printed of a fact page for the cops if they do with links to the websites so i'll be fine

Update I went to a car meet yesterday so I wanted my plate on. So I have and when doing that I realised that my bumber dosent look right for the new grill. As you can see it has the bumber surport behind the numberplate holder