Towbar fitment, electrics setup

Bean5

D5_SNS
Reaction score
As above, fitting a towbar this week, it comes with single electrics, just wondered if any one knew how the b6 electrics output works, is it jut plug and play, or do I need a relay??

Thanks

Hi Bean5Wire Colours on diagram -

ws= white
sw=black
ro=red
br=brown
gn=green
bl=blue
gr=grey
li=purple
ge=yellow
or=orange
rs=pink

Hope this helps...

f4ce3c6c.jpg

I've just done this last week. The easiest way to do the electrics is to purchase a bypass relay.I fitted this behind the rear trim in the boot close to the 12v aux socket.The wires from your 7 core cable connect to one side of the relay,and the other wires connect to the the car electrics.. The above diagram should help you out but its from a lhd vehicle but colours were the same..
hth M

I used scotch lock connectors to attach to the car wiring.. I also attached the power to the boot 12 v aux socket and ran 2 wires over to the passenger side to do the tail and brake light.
M

I would go down the relay route for sure - the Audi electrics require them.
Scotch locks are a bit dubious tbh and can fail

I also have a question about towbars, so will hijack the thread (if you don't mind).

I was looking at this towbar: here

Under in the options it suggests an audi dedicated wiring loom. Is that not necessary then? Will the bypass relay work just as well, or am i getting the wrong end of the stick? :)

Thanks

The dedicated wiring loom would hopefully have connections into the K-Line / CanBus so that when correctly coded, the car will behave correctly when the trailer is attached.

The Bypass relay just allows the towbar to be wired without the car knowing..

Yes relay looks the same as what I used.
To remove the rear bumper you'll need 10mm socket and some torx keys.I'm sure I used a T15, T20 and a T30. Also sockets or spanners to suit nuts snd bolt on the towbar,usually a 17mm,19mm and 24mm.Possibly a hack saw if you've to trim the bumper.

1)Remove the spare wheel compartment cover.
2)Remove the two nuts holding the black plastic trunk trim, just behind the spare.
3)Remove the four luggage net hold down clips.
4)Peel back the carpet from around the sides which is also pushed under the black plastic trunk trim. This is spring clipped in place. There are also two plastic screw clips in the top of the liner above the shock towers.
5)Behind the trim you will now see a vertical line of four nuts with plastic point covers on the protruding bolts. (Beneath the rear lights)There are also two more of these in a vertical line inboard of the four. (six total each side)pull off the plastic cap and remove the nuts.
6)Remove two screws underneath the valance, in board of the exhausts attaching the valance to the frame.
7)Remove two Torx screws each side inside the wheel well holding the carpet liner in place.
8)Remove the Torx screw that is behind the liner. This holds the valance.
9) Pull the sides of the lower bumper away from the side of the car.
10)The whole unit will now pull off in one piece.

Fit the towbar and then re-install everything.

description was for a saloon.

HTH M