towbar fitting on a a4 b6 avant estate !

white.akita

Reaction score
I have done lots of searching and found lots of conflicting information so im going to ask.
will I have to remove the bumper to fit the towbar ?
how do I wire in the electrics ?
I have a 12v socket in the back so I assume I just take the power from that ?
any hints or tips ?
oh and does it really take a hour to remove the rear bumper ?

I can't help with the towbar questions I'm afraid.

The rear bumper isn't a difficult job, but the boot floor and side trim needs to come out, along with the amp etc, and by the time you've removed the four screws in the wheelarch, and the mounting bolts, if you've never done it before it's probably 45 mins work or so.

I have recently been quoted £210 for a towbar supplied and fitted so I may go that route, do you know if there is a write up anywere with pics detailing the rear bumper removal ?

anyone know if a Passat b5 or b5.5 towbar will fit on the b6 a4 ?
also will a a4 b6 saloon towbar fit a a4 b6 avant ?

1. Torx bit to undo and remove the boot hooks.
2. Remove side panels on both sides, I think there are two screws holding them, and then you'll need to carefully lever it away from the clips. Disconnect cable for aux power etc.
3. I think the boot floor will come out then.
4. Remove the rear kick plate, four screws I think, two with mounting brackets.
5. Remove the amp from the offside, four mounting points, and then twist it out and unplug it.
6. In each wheel arch liner there are two torx head screws, down near the mudflap mount, clear out the crud and remove them. Peel the fabric liner away and remove the two torx screws (per side).
7. Remove two torx screws under bottom lip of valance.
8. There are three 10mm (I think) bolts in the lower well on the outer edge of the boot (near the alarm siren). All three are close together in a vertical line.
9. Bumper should be free now with some persuasion.

It's really not a hard job, that was off the top of my head.

I have just done this job on the same model car!

If I only I had the diagram above to assist! I found the hardest part was removing the trim panels on each side inside the boot. As some write-ups state they had two spring clips and two plastic screw clips. So I was trying to be delicate and not break the plastic clips as I already undone the spring clips. Turns out I had 4 spring clips!! What a relief. Make sure you pull the trim from out under the rear seat otherwise life is hard removing then.

I used a Bosal Swan neck (fixed) from Towbarman1 on ebay. Fast delivery and only £86 all in!!

Just fitted the Bosal Towbar to my B6 Quattro Avant .... yes the bumper has to come off, and lots more besides!!!If you've got Bose - the amp and base box you need to be removed get access the bumper fixing - so the whole trim had to come out. Exhaust at the rear and heat shields have to be dropped too - which could be sticky.The other experience that S4_dan might wan to comment on, is that the Bosal part suits B6 & B7. The B7 uses fixing points which are further to the front of the car. On my B6 I had to cut off the bar aft of the B6 mountings because there are bonded in bungs in the rear longitudinal members which stop the bar going far enough in.Good bits are finding the fixing holes were blanked with a patchIn summary I didn't enjoy it, although that might resulted from the raining coming on - if you've got a day to spare and don't mind skinning your knuckles it's DIY but I won't be in a hurry to repeat the experience.BTW I'd seriously consider a detachable the Bosal sean neck sticks out quite a but - you could unbolt but I quite the novelty of that most likely wear off. People charge silly money for used factory ones but there a plenty of good new on ebay