Towbar - wiring in smart relay

coullstar

Reaction score
Bolted up my towbar at the weekend and started to look at fitting the smart relay last night and hit a snag. The wires from the smart relay do not seem long enough to reach either side of the car. I can tap into one side of the rear lights but wont be able to reach the other side.

Am I missing something here or how have other folks managed to get round this? Its seems very easy, just the wires are not quite long enough.

Oh and does anyone have a breakdown on the wiring to the back lights so I can double check.

extend the wires ?

I didn't wire mine in, but I was watching the guy that did (which is never quite the same!): I'm pretty sure the wiriing all just piggy-backed onto the existing wires coming down the RHS of the car and that sure he didn't go near the back left wiring at all.

Im thinking that there must be a common feed for most things and a split where I can tap in as I cant see how I would need to extend the wiring.

When you say RHS do you mean drivers or passengers side?

This is what Im faced with.
DSC00457.jpg

Send a PM to Scott b on here, he installs towbars for a living.

Doesn't matter if you're in the drivers seat or standing at the boot looking in: RHS = drivers side (in the UK ;) ).

I'm pretty sure all the lines were just piggy-backed (tapped into) behind the boot panel roughly where your little bag of blue bits is on the right of the photo..... that said, mine is the saloon, so no guaranteeing the wiring is identical, but I can't see even the Audi designers routing everything around the car the other way just because one has a little more "headroom" in the boot!

Thanks, I was meaning RHS from the front or the back of the car.

Hi, did you manage to install the electrics, I've got a 2012 avant and gave the same problem.

An auto electrician friend of mine fitted my smart box and he just ran a couple of wires from the left hand light to the right hand side of the car, he just hid them under the trim which runs across the boot around the lock catch.

im fitting my towbar tomorrow, weather permitting!!
i think im gonna struggle with the same thing!! :-(

Fitted my tow bar just need to tackle the wiring, does any one have a wiring diagram to had. Post pics please!!

I did mine on weekend too - wiring was a doddle.

I got the wiring diagram off here - use the search function, its covered a few times!