Towing electrics

trevaudi

Reaction score
Hoping to fit a towbar soon and intend to use a 7 way relay to power the lights for the trailer. Trouble is there are two types of relay ---- straight 7 way and also a 'smart 7 way relay' . Does anyone know if the straight relay will do the job or do I need the smart one? Mine's a 2003 A4 avant TDI se.:huh:

how plug and play mate? looking one myself and easier the better!

Prety much, all the conections fit the car conections, unplug the light clusters and plug in the conections, run two power cables,from the fuse box in the drivers footwell (I cheated here and took power from the aux port in the boot using the kits own fuses) plug the lot in to the relay, the hard one was the brown wire for the reversing sensor, took longer to remove and refit panels, check out the web site, the guys helped me with all my dum questions, mustget a lot as they knew exactly were and what i was on about.

Hope this helps, now get on and do it, no guts no glory:whip:

cool, nice to know its easy electrically. I want to fit a reversing sensor anyway so the perfect time to do the lot :)

trev did you get anything? Been looking at the car specific ones there and they are expensive (£100). the boggo bypass kits are £25 ish and come in two flavours as you say (7pin and smart 7pin). From my reading it seems the smart one is for cars with fancy modulated signals to the lamps. I dont know if the A4 is like that but it says go with the smart one if in doubt.

Personally I cant justify the extra £75 for the sake of soldering 6 or 9 wires.

Not yet m8. Gonna leave it until after Xmas. Have seen the £100 plug in modules but also read somewhere that there's no socket on the car to plug into. I think I'll be going with the smart 7way relay
Have a good Christmas!

Hello

I've got an Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line 2004 8P model

I have a Ryder smart 7 bypass TF2218P (also got marked on TF2217U)

This was a used item and apparently came of the same year A3 as mine.

I have since been told that the RYDER relay will cause many problems, and that I need a specific wiring kit priced at £180, and then reprogramming by Audi at £60

How did you guys get on in the end?

Thanks

Hi there,
I used the 7 way relay....... no problems fitting, apart from the inconvenience of removing all the trims. Everything works as it should