TQS rear caliper suppliers?

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
My rear calipers are beginning to stick when the hand brake is left on for a few days.

I'm looking for a little direction as to where's best. They a completely standard BTW.

GSF are quoting £200+ a side, EBC circa £100 each and then a eBay listing £100 for 2!

I've read a little about the newer ALU calipers being more resilient to the hand brake seizing.

Where's best to go and does a upgrade cost circa the same?

Cheers

Try get price at our parts request system :)

plenty choices here:

http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=8D0615423B
http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=8D0615424B

For the upgrade it depends what you want to do. The alloy S4 calipers are slightly more expensive (same part number but with C on the end rather than B) and you wont have old ones to return so you'll lose the deposit, but you need carriers as well, which are quite expensive (60quid each) TRW BDA601 is the part number for the carriers for the S4 setup. Various suppliers have them, just need to search for the best price.

Possible to overhaul the rear calipers using Bigg Red rebuild kit. Transformed the rear handbrake and no more sticking. Details here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/inside-the-rear-caliper-of-a-b5-a4.182572/

During the winter or very wet days - I used to leave the car in gear rather than apply the handbrake full on (unless you're parked on a hill of course), and the handbrake remained tight, no sticking and no cable stretch.

I think I might still have a pair of rear calipers that are only 3-4 years old, very low mileage, bought as exchange remanufactured(TRW) from allgermanparts.

Possible to overhaul the rear calipers using Bigg Red rebuild kit. Transformed the rear handbrake and no more sticking. Details here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/inside-the-rear-caliper-of-a-b5-a4.182572/

I'm not shy about working on my own cars, i've rebuilt engines, stripped and rebuild all the suspension on both my B5's and numerous other cars, and rebuilding VAG handbrake calipers is just something i will not even consider getting involved with when you consider the cost of a new one and the complete ballache of a job that it is.

I'm not shy about working on my own cars, i've rebuilt engines, stripped and rebuild all the suspension on both my B5's and numerous other cars, and rebuilding VAG handbrake calipers is just something i will not even consider getting involved with when you consider the cost of a new one and the complete ballache of a job that it is.

Think that's bad... try changing the fuel-filter on an A2 TDI. The technical boffins in Bavaria decided to put it under the car. Touch the heat shield that covers it and it simply turns to dust. Oh and you need a child's hands to access the space. One good thing is when you do disconnect the fuel lines it doesn't spray fuel everywhere, so no scenes from the Poseidon Adventure.

Take your point about the rear calipers. :haha:

www.brakeparts.co.uk have got budweg calipers for £64 each with a £36 exchange surcharge.

Alternatively £30 for two service kits plus £15 for the long nose circlip pliers you need, its not too bad a job, as long as you know what you're doing.

Reactions: spartacus 68
dubster: sure, but the service kits dont include new pistons, which are around £20 each, and the old pistons are usually knackered. Your also typically left with reusing components that are a bit knackered, like the handbrake actuator shaft, which rusts up and siezes and really should be replaced, you end up having to just clean up with a wire brush, emery cloth and scotchbrite and hope it seals again when you put it back together.

Reactions: spartacus 68
dubster: sure, but the service kits dont include new pistons, which are around £20 each, and the old pistons are usually knackered. Your also typically left with reusing components that are a bit knackered, like the handbrake actuator shaft, which rusts up and siezes and really should be replaced, you end up having to just clean up with a wire brush, emery cloth and scotchbrite and hope it seals again when you put it back together.

Agreed, but all depends on the available budget.