Tracker Required by Axa Insurance

IanSC

Reaction score
Before renewing my S3 insurance in October, I checked on prices for an RS3 and switched to Axa, as they were £100+ cheaper than anyone else for the RS3, thinking it would keep things simple when I came to change cars. However, in anticipation of getting my new car in January, I decided to check with them today, only to discover that they will require a tracker to be fitted. This seemed to be triggered by the list price being >£50k. Has anyone else had this requirement for an 8Y? And, if not, who are you insured with?
I am not sure whether to get one fitted or try some other (more expensive) insurers, although I would need to check whether they will also require a tracker to be fitted.
I suppose that there is a chance that a tracker may become a more widespread requirement for these cars in time, in which case it would be better just to do it now and take some immediate benefit. Has anyone had any such issues with 8V RS3s?

Before renewing my S3 insurance in October, I checked on prices for an RS3 and switched to Axa, as they were £100+ cheaper than anyone else for the RS3, thinking it would keep things simple when I came to change cars. However, in anticipation of getting my new car in January, I decided to check with them today, only to discover that they will require a tracker to be fitted. This seemed to be triggered by the list price being >£50k. Has anyone else had this requirement for an 8Y? And, if not, who are you insured with?
I am not sure whether to get one fitted or try some other (more expensive) insurers, although I would need to check whether they will also require a tracker to be fitted.
I suppose that there is a chance that a tracker may become a more widespread requirement for these cars in time, in which case it would be better just to do it now and take some immediate benefit. Has anyone had any such issues with 8V RS3s?
That's interesting. I've had quotes with Axa being the cheapest (they insured my previous two S3s) but there was no mention of a tracker being required to be fitted. The next best quote was +£1 and after that it was +£30 annually.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
That's interesting. I've had quotes with Axa being the cheapest (they insured my previous two S3s) but there was no mention of a tracker being required to be fitted. The next best quote was +£1 and after that it was +£30 annually.
When I got my original quotes, via comparison sites, there was no mention of a tracker being required. It was only when I contacted them directly that it came up.

AIB (forum sponsors here). Very competitive.

Never been asked to fit a tracker on any RS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
When I got my original quotes, via comparison sites, there was no mention of a tracker being required. It was only when I contacted them directly that it came up.
I've checked with my current insurer (Admiral) and they won't require a tracker to be fitted, currently coming out at £1 per month more than my S3.

I've also checked on comparison sites, and the only oddity was the occasional one wanting a black box. Yeah, OK!! (39yo, 20 Yr no claims, no endorsements or claims).

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin

Thanks, just done online (and Adrian flux), and will speak to them tomorrow.

I've checked with my current insurer (Admiral) and they won't require a tracker to be fitted, currently coming out at £1 per month more than my S3.

I've also checked on comparison sites, and the only oddity was the occasional one wanting a black box. Yeah, OK!! (39yo, 20 Yr no claims, no endorsements or claims).
Thanks, mine was £29 more than my S3 for the remaining 10 months, so ~£3/month, which is surprisingly little!

You're taking delivery of a brand new RS3 next month, cost of over £50k and you don't want to spend a few £££ on a tracker? :huh: Considering how easy it is to steal cars these days with all the keyless tech (easier now than 20 years ago I may add), surely a tracker is worth the paltry investment when considering the cost of the car?

Reactions: Adam28
You're taking delivery of a brand new RS3 next month, cost of over £50k and you don't want to spend a few £££ on a tracker? :huh: Considering how easy it is to steal cars these days with all the keyless tech (easier now than 20 years ago I may add), surely a tracker is worth the paltry investment when considering the cost of the car?
1. It's more than a few £££ and also requires an ongoing subscription to be acceptable to the insurer.
2. As a Scot, I don't like spending more than I have to and it also means someone messing around with the car to fit it.
3. A tracker is not going to deter or prevent a determined thief, but may aid recovery, and I'm not sure that I would want it back if it was stolen.

Reactions: HulkRS3 and AndyVWR
1. It's more than a few £££ and also requires an ongoing subscription to be acceptable to the insurer.
2. As a Scot, I don't like spending more than I have to and it also means someone messing around with the car to fit it.
3. A tracker is not going to deter or prevent a determined thief, but may aid recovery, and I'm not sure that I would want it back if it was stolen.
TBH the tracker isn’t so you can get it back. It’s so the insure has the chance of recovering losses they’ve paid out to you.
I don’t see the point in trackers either as most are ignored by the police and they’re found and ripped out before recovery can take place. Plus generally they don’t lower your premiums.
I’d go for a ghost, but that then brings the risk of the determined scum bag breaking into your property to get you to unlock it. The opportunist will leave it, if you’ve been targeted the lengths gone to are extreme.

Reactions: HulkRS3
I haven't had caveats put on my vehicle insurance before, but my current car was required to have a ghost fitted to get the gap cover with directgap.
A win either way

I did once have a cat6 tracker from scorpiontrak on a car who would call me up at work, some 3 hours after I left home 8 miles away to tell me my car had moved. Yeah I had left the fob at home and it was me who moved the car, but seriously, 3 hours too late.
All trackers do is give you the bad news far too late, that's about it. Like a fighter pilot seeing the missile warning light go off just in time for him(her) to say "shi..."

If you're tracking for business/fleet purposes, fine, but for security, laughable. I'll get ghost on my new car also.

Just to add, some insurance companies don’t even tell you directly about needing a tracker (Direct Line being an example) and instead “hide” it in the Endorsements section in the middle of the cover documents. Of course it’s up to the policyholder to check paperwork, but they are a little sneaky in not making such a major policy requirement more prominent.

To note, the tracker requirement only affects the theft element of the policy. So you could decide to use other methods to protect your car.

I did try arguing that the Ghost fitted to my E92 M3 and the driveway bollards were an effective deterrent (at home) but i had to cancel my Direct Line policy given a new tracker was far more to fit than the difference to the next cheapest policy (Admiral).

Reactions: Jcbmally and Add_Profile
I know this is not the answer and many of you will counter argue this but;
I have my user settings pin protected and can see where my car has gone/parked when the wife uses it. She logs in as guest so I thought it would have changed the privacy settings but it didn’t. Anyway it cost me nothing, I can see where it went (even if she has been speeding wink wink) and yes I will have to renew the subscription to continue using it.
All the best peeps.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
There is always that lol

"Honey, why you fitting a tracker to the car"

"Errrrr... security love"

"mmmmmkay"

:sweatsmile:

• Haha
There is always that lol

"Honey, why you fitting a tracker to the car"

"Errrrr... security love"

"mmmmmkay"

:sweatsmile:
SWMBO is non the wiser :whistle2: :icon thumright:

• Haha
Reactions: Add_Profile

Unfortunately AIB quoted more than double my current insurer's price and also require a tracker.
However, Adrian Flux quoted about £100 more and do not require a tracker.
Will follow up on more comparisons before I have to commit.

TBH the tracker isn’t so you can get it back. It’s so the insure has the chance of recovering losses they’ve paid out to you.
I don’t see the point in trackers either as most are ignored by the police and they’re found and ripped out before recovery can take place. Plus generally they don’t lower your premiums.
I’d go for a ghost, but that then brings the risk of the determined scum bag breaking into your property to get you to unlock it. The opportunist will leave it, if you’ve been targeted the lengths gone to are extreme.
Why should I pay for the cost of a tracker to be fitted and the subscription so the insurance company has more chance of recovering their losses? That's what your premium is for imo. Agree I've also thought about Ghost but don't want them in my house either.

Anyway, like others I'd rather not have the tracker fitted. I don't want trim being pulled apart and someone lying over the panels etc as if it was stolen I wouldn't want it back either. I also have GAP cover which covers the short fall so that suits me.

Reactions: Mike.46, Jcbmally and Detail Devil
No tracker required for me via Admiral. £31pm and actually came down from £33 as re did the quote today just to double check re the tracker!!!!!

Reactions: RS03??? and Jcbmally
Admiral is the goat. 21 with 4 years ncb & 1.1k no tracker etc

Reactions: Adam28, ZB1 and Jcbmally
2. As a Scot, I don't like spending more than I have to

Don't use Scottish as being an Excuse As i definitely don't Conform to the stereotypical Scot...... That's like saying All the Irish do is just eat is Tatties........lol

• Haha
Reactions: pburv
I am insured with Axa on my rs3 and they didn’t require a tracker just fyi.

I was with LV previously and whilst they were happy to insure me when I checked prices when placing my rs3 order, by the time it arrived they changed their mind and wouldnt insure the rs3 anymore.

May be worth trying axa again later down the line to see if they change their mind again…

Thanks, I was going to try that when I know collection date & reg. no. but it may be helpful to be able to refer to a similar car that didn't require one, although I suspect that they will just say that it was due to a different postcode or from a different underwriter. Anyway, no harm in trying again.
In the meantime, I have had confirmation from Saga (I am that old!) that their quote would not require one. My S3 was with them last year and I changed to AXA at renewal because of their lower quote for the RS3!

Reactions: RS03??? and Keano04