Tracking our new RS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
244966685 347685680479152 7895410251839123954 n
245107938 302813238329117 4092389184960025300 n

Apologies if any of these are reposts, just finding them as I go and trying to post the new stuff.

I reckon the Saloon is going to look deadly with a set of spacers on it. As will the Sportback but so easy to imagine the Saloon with them from that view.

Reactions: 3vans, Keano04, Jcbmally and 2 others
Reactions: RS03??? and 3vans
That's Vegas is it not doesn't look like Monty Python having studied images of the rear the l think the exhaust tips are slightly less oval than them of the 8v also l watched Daniel from ABT video of the RS3 and they started/revved it in the preview area and it didn't sound that great if l am honest

Don’t want to detail this thread, but those that want to see a few pics of my new JCW, they are here:

I will get the thread renamed and make it a build thread. Correction and Gyeon Q2 Synchro 1st up in a couple weeks (using neighbours garage)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, SPIKE_ and 3 others
Don’t want to detail this thread, but those that want to see a few pics of my new JCW, they are here:

I will get the thread renamed and make it a build thread. Correction and Gyeon Q2 Synchro 1st up in a couple weeks (using neighbours garage)
Looking great @NevMan. Out of interest, how did you track down the best deal on a new MINI? Did you use an independent company to find you the best deal?

Reactions: NevMan
That's Vegas is it not doesn't look like Monty Python having studied images of the rear the l think the exhaust tips are slightly less oval than them of the 8v also l watched Daniel from ABT video of the RS3 and they started/revved it in the preview area and it didn't sound that great if l am honest

around 2 min 50 it shows difference of comfort v dynamic and it is noticeably deeper. Sounds good on acceleration. Not pre fl levels but waaaay better than the dyson.

Not too bad in this vid either in between all the stupid tyre screeching ...

Reactions: Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and NevMan

the colour is absolutely fantastic !!!!
A touch of floret silver to it :icon thumright:
looks a cracking car - let us know how you’re going finding it.
It must be stupid quick and have go cart handling.
Interior looks class too.
Congrats it looks fab !

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
the colour is absolutely fantastic !!!!
A touch of floret silver to it :icon thumright:
looks a cracking car - let us know how you’re going finding it.
It must be stupid quick and have go cart handling.
Interior looks class too.
Congrats it looks fab !

Thanks mate, yes colour is lovely and pops in the sun. You know I always LOVED your Floret RS3

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Daggerit
Looking great @NevMan. Out of interest, how did you track down the best deal on a new MINI? Did you use an independent company to find you the best deal?

Thanks mate. I had ordered with Cotswold, but ended up cancelling as they couldn’t touch the £6075 I got off from David King (bimmerdeals@outlook.com) Pop him an email to quote you happy

Reactions: SPIKE_ and Snake Pliskin
watched Daniel from ABT video of the RS3 and they started/revved it in the preview area and it didn't sound that great if l am honest

I'm afraid that’s new emission laws for you and the particulate filter, all kinds of silly rules about wasting fuel and increasing pollution by having pops and bangs etc and no fuel on the over run etc

I'm afraid that’s new emission laws for you and the particulate filter, all kinds of silly rules about wasting fuel and increasing pollution by having pops and bangs etc and no fuel on the over run etc

That's true but the new golf r sounds OK even with 1 less cylinder and it pops and bangs

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jassyo06 and johnmv55
My TTS sounded great on start up/when revved stationary to 3800rpm same engine as the new G8R l do hope the car = RS3 sounds better than it did in the video l posted lf it doesn't l suspect it'll sound better inside than on the outside to a certain point in the rev range hence variable exhaust flaps are utilized now, its not just opened or closed like in the 8v Fl RS3 and the FL 8v sounds OK when stationary and late 2018 flat RS3's where fitted with filters

around 2 min 50 it shows difference of comfort v dynamic and it is noticeably deeper. Sounds good on acceleration. Not pre fl levels but waaaay better than the dyson.

Not too bad in this vid either in between all the stupid tyre screeching ...

I thought it sounded better in comfort than in dynamic???

I’ve heard a 21 RSQ3 with Sports Exhaust start up and it sounded alright in person. Nothing like the DAZA did but it’s much deeper with more tone in person. I plan to get rid of the filters anyway on mine so will sound like a true RS3 lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
My TTS sounded great on start up/when revved stationary to 3800rpm same engine as the new G8R l do hope the car = RS3 sounds better than it did in the video l posted lf it doesn't l suspect it'll sound better inside than on the outside to a certain point in the rev range hence variable exhaust flaps are utilized now, its not just opened or closed like in the 8v Fl RS3 and the FL 8v sounds OK when stationary and late 2018 flat RS3's where fitted with filters
Kufatec do a kit for some Audi models to open the flaps all the time via an app your phone.

There was a trick on BMW M4 to wait until the valves were open (on initial start up or switch off presumably) and then un plug them, no dash warning came up

Last edited:
My 2019 rs3 sounds rubbish, really disappointing, that's why its going in on Friday for stage 2 to have the opf removed.

I hope the new rs3 sounds nothing like the previous opf one. Going from a pfl and then a fl i was really disappointed going to an opf model. Even the map on the opf seems flat compared to the previous car.

If it’s of any use to people, there’s a company in Glasgow that do an OPF delete on 8V RS3’s and put in simulators rather than mapping so you don’t get a TD1 code on the ECU for warranty.

They have an 8Y on order to develop it then as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CarterRS, NevMan and Jassyo06
My 2019 rs3 sounds rubbish, really disappointing, that's why its going in on Friday for stage 2 to have the opf removed.

I hope the new rs3 sounds nothing like the previous opf one. Going from a pfl and then a fl i was really disappointed going to an opf model. Even the map on the opf seems flat compared to the previous car.
A lad in a 19 spec Golf 7,5R with OPF pulled up alongside me (in my pfl 7.5R) he was intent on showing me how quick his car was, there was no DSG 'fart' or pop as his car changed gear, very quite

If it’s of any use to people, there’s a company in Glasgow that do an OPF delete on 8V RS3’s and put in simulators rather than mapping so you don’t get a TD1 code on the ECU for warranty.

Who's that?

A lad in a 19 spec Golf 7,5R with OPF pulled up alongside me (in my pfl 7.5R) he was intent on showing me how quick his car was, there was no DSG 'fart' or pop as his car changed gear, very quite

The opf makes a big difference on nearly all cars.

Sound on the 8v was a real let down (cf the preface lift) and the map seemed to impact it noticeably (I think there was a car wow vid on that actually) but short of aftermarket intervention that’s going to be the case on all opf cars.

That being said the dsg farts and pops sound rather naff and are a desperate attempt to make the boring 4 pot sound better…. Some love them and fair enough but they just sound stupid to me. That being said the 310 7.5R is the one to get of that gen golf.

I am fully expecting the 8y to sound the same (similar) as the facelift 8v - there’s simply no chance it’ll sound as good as the pre opf cars.

Reactions: johnmv55
Infinite Performance I think it’s called.

Ah yeah. Aoon is on the 8Y RS3 FB Group and was saying:

So the ECU on the 8Y RS3 will be a Bosch MG1CS163 (TC298)
May be a while before it can be tuned, ecu is locked as per all other MG1 ECU’s built after September 2020
1f972.png

Reactions: Daggerit
My S3 is a 19 plate and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the pre OPF S3's I only have myself to blame tho as I didn't test drive the car . I have owned an 8p and 8v pfl previously and didn't give new filters second thought :sadlike: what a mistake that was .

I will never buy a car again without a proper test drive .

Reactions: johnmv55, NevMan and Jassyo06

Another option, which is probably cheaper is a backbox mod, and can do red deletes too…PCWMod. I have booked my JCW In for 25th Nov with Paul. Check out the vids on his FB or YouTube. Cost is £280 upwards depending on what sound you want.

He did my M40i:

Obviously the straight 6 3.0 helps but you get a much deeper and nice sound. He has done PLENTY RS’s over the years.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
The opf makes a big difference on nearly all cars.

Sound on the 8v was a real let down (cf the preface lift) and the map seemed to impact it noticeably (I think there was a car wow vid on that actually) but short of aftermarket intervention that’s going to be the case on all opf cars.

That being said the dsg farts and pops sound rather naff and are a desperate attempt to make the boring 4 pot sound better…. Some love them and fair enough but they just sound stupid to me. That being said the 310 7.5R is the one to get of that gen golf.

I am fully expecting the 8y to sound the same (similar) as the facelift 8v - there’s simply no chance it’ll sound as good as the pre opf cars.
So to compensate for the lack of exhaust sound there is every chance Audi will engineer a sound of sorts through into the cabin this time around they've done the same in the 8Y S3 and in the new TTS 320ps cars of which l would be happy with
Dsg farts where better than no sound,the 8v S3fl popped and banged...which were OK to listen to every now and then..My TTS engine after it was run in actually sounded far better than when new...and just before it went...you could manage the odd bark or 2 on the up shift/downshifting...

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Another option, which is probably cheaper is a backbox mod, and can do red deletes too…PCWMod. I have booked my JCW In for 25th Nov with Paul. Check out the vids on his FB or YouTube. Cost is £280 upwards depending on what sound you want.

He did my M40i:

Obviously the straight 6 3.0 helps but you get a much deeper and nice sound. He has done PLENTY RS’s over the years.

I think that would definitely help, but you’re never going to get anywhere near a non OPF car just by doing that unfortunately.

A lad up here has an RSQ3 Sportback with a full OPF/cat back Milltek non res system and it still doesn’t sound as good as a non OPF car with the Audi sports exhaust.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
Lol, cringing reading about how the lack of pops and bangs is the measure of a great car.
It’s like we’ve gone back to 2017 when new owners where crying about it then.

If it drives as great as is promised, faster than its competition and you can hear the 5 pot sing, then it’s a winner, but the statements about how to get it to pop and bang more get a life.

Reactions: RSt3ve, NevMan, 3vans and 4 others
Infinite Performance I think it’s called.

Lol I wouldn’t trust em to take a wheel nut off let alone anything else.

Horror stories galore……….

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
I think that would definitely help, but you’re never going to get anywhere near a non OPF car just by doing that unfortunately.

A lad up here has an RSQ3 Sportback with a full OPF/cat back Milltek non res system and it still doesn’t sound as good as a non OPF car with the Audi sports exhaust.

Absolutely, of course it won’t. But in my opinion it is more than enough for
Me, and pretty warranty friendly (he removes whole exhaust and cuts top of back box and re-welds, so worst case exhaust loses warranty

Reactions: Daggerit
Did you know that the SQ5 has two loudspeakers built into the exhausts by the silencers? You can have (via a Kufatec kit) any noise you want from V6/V8/V10.....I guess thats the future :(

Reactions: NevMan
Absolutely, of course it won’t. But in my opinion it is more than enough for
Me, and pretty warranty friendly (he removes whole exhaust and cuts top of back box and re-welds, so worst case exhaust loses warranty

Yeah, totally get it. Take what you can, where you can with the new regulations. Glad you’re happy with it, it’s a good result with something that’s still warranty friendly.

My S3 is a 19 plate and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the pre OPF S3's I only have myself to blame tho as I didn't test drive the car . I have owned an 8p and 8v pfl previously and didn't give new filters second thought :sadlike: what a mistake that was .

As far as the 8y Rs3 is concerned it's a leap of faith mate
Did you know that the SQ5 has two loudspeakers built into the exhausts by the silencers? You can have (via a Kufatec kit) any noise you want from V6/V8/V10.....I guess thats the future :(
As does the Porsche Taycan across the road from my house it sounds more V8 than lithium powered

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Mr Freeze

Mapping changes.

Below are the 3 tables in the Tuner pro application I use
77f0c37f45cb2f0d83f8bf8e95b348dc.jpg

The 1st 3 columns (RPM on left / load along the top) are from when I turned up the noise
Before these were all changed to -23 degree negative they were all very low (-3.5 and even none negative numbers) so virtually quiet as many found on the FL cars.

-23 is impossible to live with, so much so I put them back to being ‘mild’ because it just makes you look like a t*t in a fiesta/Corsa

Yes the OPF mute the noises a little, but I’d take it over any 4 pot all day long.

Reactions: NevMan, 3vans, Keano04 and 3 others
Status
Not open for further replies.