Tracking our new RS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but this car has the standard lane departure warning rather than the full lane assist so we don’t actually know if the lane assist can be had with a FBSW yet unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whats the difference between the two? I must have missed that :)

Whats the difference between the two? I must have missed that :)
I don't know for sure, but my assumption would be that the lane departure warning is just a message on the dash and potentially the steering wheel vibrating, with the lane assist actually being able to steer to keep the car in lane.

Reactions: johnmv55
I don't know for sure, but my assumption would be that the lane departure warning is just a message on the dash and potentially the steering wheel vibrating, with the lane assist actually being able to steer to keep the car in lane.
I'm not sure how the audi system works but on my wife's company micra departure warning can be set to alert the driver with a beep and steering wheel vibrate or when fully activated slow the vehicle slightly and bring it back in lane. The button just allows you to toggle between the two settings. To be honest, even in the alert only state its pretty annoying. Hopefully on the audi it's either fully off or on.

Full lane assist allows almost a hands off the wheel approach.

Reactions: Daggerit
The Flat Bottom is nothing to do with lane assist/lane departure as far as I'm aware. It's to do with ACC I think. My S3 8Y has the standard lane departure feature which does actually move the steering wheel back into the lane and that has a Flat Bottom. I've read somewhere it's also to do with steering wheel heating? I'm fairly certain if I take my hands off the wheel it alerts you and if ignored brings the car to a halt as well.

My old man ordered my Mums Q3 BE SB back in December 2020 and has continuously been pushed back month after month. They have now been told it wont be built till March 2022...ridiculous. I will be amazed if cars are on time, according to TRL over on the BMW side of things, "2022 will be very challenging, and the chip shortage has not yet peaked, we are warned." Could be wrong, but amazed if RS3s are delivered any time soon

My old man ordered my Mums Q3 BE SB back in December 2020 and has continuously been pushed back month after month. They have now been told it wont be built till March 2022...ridiculous. I will be amazed if cars are on time, according to TRL over on the BMW side of things, "2022 will be very challenging, and the chip shortage has not yet peaked, we are warned." Could be wrong, but amazed if RS3s are delivered any time soon
But Audi have already stated cars won't be built/delivered on time it's a lottery who's car gets built firstly ordered a TTS end of January it arrived end of Apri ergo but l do agree and l have said this from the start its going to be long wait for most folks l remain optimistic for a summer delivery....

Reactions: Mr Freeze, FBF01 and Snake Pliskin
Glasgow
CD205196 AF9A 4A6E 81C1 13801505A8DF
F0805935 02FC 4570 9EFA E96D91D6D145

Reactions: Terminator x, Pinky1959, Jcbmally and 5 others
Not sure if the silver badges are launch edition spec.

Hopefully. I need some non black elements on my murder spec car!!!

Red callipers helps and red interior trim would have helped too but that’s not happening… fingers crossed I get silver Audi rings!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally
The Flat Bottom is nothing to do with lane assist/lane departure as far as I'm aware. It's to do with ACC I think. My S3 8Y has the standard lane departure feature which does actually move the steering wheel back into the lane and that has a Flat Bottom. I've read somewhere it's also to do with steering wheel heating? I'm fairly certain if I take my hands off the wheel it alerts you and if ignored brings the car to a halt as well.
ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) on it's own is just controlling speed, keeping you a distance from the car infront via throttle and brake input so won't affect the steering wheel.
Like you say, lane departure warning will vibrate the steering wheel and input steering to guide you back to centre of your lane, but only works over a certain speed (40mph I think?). This is what's fitted to the Standard and Carbon Black specs.
Adaptive Cruise Assist (ACA) is what is fitted to the Vorsprung (or what you get if you option the Driver Assistance pack. It's ACC and what they're calling centre lane guidance these days - basically traffic jam assist and active lane assist combined so it'll work 0-130mph. You get the round wheel with ACA because it how it senses your hands are on the wheel is different. It uses capacitive grip recognition which is newer technology. They obviously haven't got this in a flat bottom wheel yet - maybe there's some complicated technological reason, or that they haven't got round to it... or just haven't bothered, who knows :shrug:

Reactions: johnmv55, Jcbmally and Daggerit
Just got an update from Glasgow.

Nothing changed still BW47. He says its a case of wait and see if it gets built on that date.

They received their launch edition as per above photos a few days ago. However it is still in transport mode but will hopefully be taxed and ready for viewing next week.

Reactions: NevMan
Annoying that it stops you having a little nap as your going along, but seriously with ACC and lane assist and without the clever steering wheel the only thing that would wake you is the ding when the fuel light/warning came on, very annoying if youd missed your turn off by a couple of hundred miles :)

If I was near Glasgow I would do a first RS3 in Scotland video!

Reactions: Patrickv, NevMan, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
That colour definitely needs black badges and black trim in general

It’ll look better with the white transport tape removed and as you say a set of gloss black badges.

It’ll look better with the white transport tape removed and as you say a set of gloss black badges.

Haha, thought that was alu trim and not transport tape

• Haha
Reactions: DRkNESS, Add_Profile and 8YARWY
ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) on it's own is just controlling speed, keeping you a distance from the car infront via throttle and brake input so won't affect the steering wheel.
Like you say, lane departure warning will vibrate the steering wheel and input steering to guide you back to centre of your lane, but only works over a certain speed (40mph I think?). This is what's fitted to the Standard and Carbon Black specs.
Adaptive Cruise Assist (ACA) is what is fitted to the Vorsprung (or what you get if you option the Driver Assistance pack. It's ACC and what they're calling centre lane guidance these days - basically traffic jam assist and active lane assist combined so it'll work 0-130mph. You get the round wheel with ACA because it how it senses your hands are on the wheel is different. It uses capacitive grip recognition which is newer technology. They obviously haven't got this in a flat bottom wheel yet - maybe there's some complicated technological reason, or that they haven't got round to it... or just haven't bothered, who knows :shrug:
Still surprised that other cars on the VAG group have travel assist/ACC/lane assist/heated wheel with a flat bottom wheel so obviously it doesn’t matter if it is flat or round to work. VZ Edition Formentor was such a car, all of the above with a flat wheel. Travel assist basically reads the road and will brake, accelerate and even make steering adjustments autonomously so again is all radar/camera controlled and should be irrelevant in regards to shape of the wheel. Just another way of Audi eeking more money out of peeps.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and mb127
All being well I will be going up on Saturday to see the one at Glasgow. It might not be ready but he said he will get me in it one way or another.

Will post some pics.

Reactions: Pinky1959, NevMan, Mr Freeze and 2 others
All being well I will be going up on Saturday to see the one at Glasgow. It might not be ready but he said he will get me in it one way or another.

Will post some pics.

Lol don’t upset Techinyercar

Reactions: NevMan, Mr Freeze and kayemill
If I was near Glasgow I would do a first RS3 in Scotland video!
If you're really desperate I can do a B-roll set of shots for you to voice over, but it would be the random-spec Turbo Blue version in my dealership (Aberdeen) rather than that much better LE in Glasgow.

Audi parts departments are gonna be sold out of black emblem kits soon .....eh .....

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on with them. Didn’t even realise there were the grey stickers on them until this video!

I think if it’s possible I might be peeling those grey and silver stickers off (as long as the silver isn’t actually diamond cut).

They'll be covered/painted with a clear coat

Reactions: johnmv55, NevMan and Daggerit
Still surprised that other cars on the VAG group have travel assist/ACC/lane assist/heated wheel with a flat bottom wheel so obviously it doesn’t matter if it is flat or round to work. VZ Edition Formentor was such a car, all of the above with a flat wheel. Travel assist basically reads the road and will brake, accelerate and even make steering adjustments autonomously so again is all radar/camera controlled and should be irrelevant in regards to shape of the wheel. Just another way of Audi eeking more money out of peeps.
It's possible others are using the "old" torque sensing method for hands-on detection?
It's only recently these capacitive wheels have been brought in by Audi for MY2021. I'm sure they'll bring a flat bottom version eventually.

Reactions: Jcbmally
e mail today saying unconfirmed build spot moved up to wk49 now.

Reactions: Add_Profile
e mail today saying unconfirmed build spot moved up to wk49 now.

So that’s early December. Good that it’s moved forward as hopefully that’s a sign things are getting moving again?

Mine was confirmed wk37 and isn’t complete yet… there may be a backlog to clear…?

Status
Not open for further replies.