Tracking our new RS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that a little counter intuitive, surely they would prioritise those spending the most money and creating the greatest profit? So it must just be that they basically don't have any chips at all, rather than choosing to put them in the Carbon editions instead.

I would agree with this ^ There have been many grumbles about the various manufacturers prioritising the top spec cars over the “normal” ones. A number on the Mini forum have ordered Coopers etc way back in March etc, and no sign of build. Ordered my JCW in July and collecting tomorrow . Similar with 128ti vs M135i but both losing out to M3/M4’s

Reactions: Daggerit
I find that a little counter intuitive, surely they would prioritise those spending the most money and creating the greatest profit? So it must just be that they basically don't have any chips at all, rather than choosing to put them in the Carbon editions instead.

maybe they make more money on a carbon edition. Just think of all the extra kit on a vorsprung - the carbon & base model may return them more profit.
I think the real reason is that the vorsprung does indeed need many more chips so for every x No vorsprungs they build they can get x No more carbons built as less chips needed.

Reactions: NevMan, Mr Freeze and Daggerit
That was just to get to the dealership, then the PDI is generally up to a week I've had in the past. If you have an RS car and shout loud enough you might be able to get it moved to the front of the queue if you're lucky though. :)
RS's come with about 50 miles on the odo too as the factory do more tests vs standard cars.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and Daggerit
I wonder how/when manufacturers are gonna try and mitigate costs/delays against increasing output?

There's no excuse.. but they are a business and business is making money.....

Only 10miles testing then delivery?
Only 1 in 3 cars sent to QA then delivery?
1 less coat of paint (who's gonna know) then delivery?
reduce order options.. wait LOL!

40+ weeks I didn't realise they were going to take that long :grimacing:
I suspect they are a little differently organised to Audi, two weeks ago the estimated time was 24 weeks, then it jumped to 40 weeks, I imagine they have a plan building xx amount of Golf R, then when those slots are full the next slots will be in 40 weeks

Reactions: NevMan
51134560 A66F 4AA6 8894 99F5732FD328

Reactions: 3vans, Jcbmally, RSt3ve and 11 others
Don’t think it looks bad, but I don’t think it looks near as good as a carbon or Vorsprung. Just my preference though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just a pity it doesn't truly reflect a UK standard spec, it has matrix and pano for a start but it is a good representation for how well the alu pack and standard wheels look, and that red does look amazing in that lighting environment. Wow.

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
I suspect they are a little differently organised to Audi, two weeks ago the estimated time was 24 weeks, then it jumped to 40 weeks, I imagine they have a plan building xx amount of Golf R, then when those slots are full the next slots will be in 40 weeks

Remember years ago when I wanted to factory order a GTI in silver. They are being built in week 32 next year sir. Ok, I will take the blue one in the showroom. Had heard they did colours certain weeks, but this was many many years ago (golf 4)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and johnmv55
1aa0a497f91dd2821d12b516d65cff26.jpg

Reactions: Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
Probably wrong thread but here goes...........
One complaint on Golf 7.5R was that even with the DSG in Manual mode it still auto changes at red line, this is rectified on Mk8R with Performance pack, it will just hit the rev limiter and stay there, this avoids the gearbox changing at the same time as you pull the paddle and going up two gears.
Anyone know if this function is on the new RS3?

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Daggerit
@Mr Freeze if you had any doubts over the standard car / alloys jeees I think that puts that concern to bed ... looks cool :icon thumright:
Totally agree mate
Tango Red really suits the car too wouldn't mind seeing some more images from different angles
I bet those alloys are a nightmare to clean :laughing: but they do look nice tho

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR and Snake Pliskin
Probably wrong thread but here goes...........
One complaint on Golf 7.5R was that even with the DSG in Manual mode it still auto changes at red line, this is rectified on Mk8R with Performance pack, it will just hit the rev limiter and stay there, this avoids the gearbox changing at the same time as you pull the paddle and going up two gears.
Anyone know if this function is on the new RS3?

I have absolutely no evidence to base it on, but I imagine it would be hard to properly use drift mode if it up shifted for you all the time? So maybe in at least that mode it wouldn’t? Total guess though.

Reactions: johnmv55 and Mr Freeze
Is the drift mode only available with 'RS Adaptive suspension with Audi drive select' included on the configurator?

I could have sworn when I ordered mine in August, selecting this option insisted on adding ceramic brakes/performance pack, now I can add it by itself for about £1k

Anybody have any experience on where I would stand on getting my dealer to add this on? I din't think I have a confirmed build week yet.

I have absolutely no evidence to base it on, but I imagine it would be hard to properly use drift mode if it up shifted for you all the time? So maybe in at least that mode it wouldn’t? Total guess though.

As far as I am aware, the RS3 will not auto up shift in manual mode, it will just bounce off the limiter until you get bored.

Reactions: johnmv55, AndyVWR and Daggerit
As far as I am aware, the RS3 will not auto up shift in manual mode, it will just bounce off the limiter until you get bored.

I don’t know about this new RS3, but all the other VAG cars I’ve had and seen reviews of upshift automatically even in manual mode.

Good guess, I never thought of that, it's only available on Golf 8R in the Special, or Nurburgring mode,
Two things ive always disliked when in manual mode, the kick down at the bottom of the pedal travel and the auto up shift, on my TTS the 'resistance' at the bottom of the pedal travel was that weak that kick downs happened quite often when I got a little 'carried away' I ended up gluing a small piece of an old number plate under the pedal to prevent it happening

Reactions: Daggerit
Press cars are now doing the round.

245632255 582861859730131 2114242833946271707 n

Reactions: Alexlfc17, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 1 other person
The RS3 8V doesn't auto shift in manual, I can't see why the 8Y would.
I doubt the 8Y will to be honest

Reactions: Daggerit, Keano04 and johnmv55

Old RS3 definitely hit rev limit no change so can't see why they would change that.

TX.

Reactions: Daggerit, NevMan, AndyVWR and 1 other person
Old RS3 definitely hit rev limit no change so can't see why they would change that.

TX.

That’s good to hear then! For some reason I thought it did, but glad to be wrong.

Reactions: johnmv55
Is standard across the range, no need to add extras for the torque drift mode.
Hmm, what does the 'RS Torque rear' function do on the audi drive select then? It says that is only available with RS Adaptive Suspension ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211016-091815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211016-091815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 67
That’s good to hear then! For some reason I thought it did, but glad to be wrong.

Good to hear as you say, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me but would add to the reasons for me to back out, with my Golf R I have to remember to let the car change gears if it's anywhere near the rpm limit otherwise you can easily get a double up shift, it takes the manual out of manual mode,

I can see what they are trying to do though, I wouldnt expect it to accept a down change which would cause an over rev and also not change down and stall as you came to a halt :)

Hmm, what does the 'RS Torque rear' function do on the audi drive select then? It says that is only available with RS Adaptive Suspension ...
Just a mistake in the advertising, theres quite a few confusing packs like below for the Vorsprung, all you actually add here is the Ceramic brakes and the 180mph top speed increase, the Vorsprung already has the Adaptive suspension and Sport exhaust, but I think the 'packs' are also designed for the base model which would get all 4 options, confusing to say the least and also led me to email Audi Customer services, they eventually altered some of the advertising, still confusing though

RS Dynamic Pack​

5,000.00 GBP
Add to configuration
RS Adaptive suspension with Audi drive select
Via Audi drive select, additional RS-specific driving modes – RS INDIVIDUAL, RS PERFORMANCE and RS TORQUE REAR – can be set for the adaptive suspension with Audi drive select including damper control (DCC). The settings range from RS-specific handing to outstanding driving dynamics to great driving comfort.
RS ceramic brake system with brake callipers in gloss anthracite grey
19-inch high-performance brake system with carbon-fibre-reinforced ceramic brake discs at the front, with front brake callipers painted in gloss anthracite grey, with “Audi ceramic” logo
Top Speed increase
The top speed has been increased to 180 mph
RS sport exhaust system
An enhanced acoustic experience; dual-branch, with exhaust flap control and gloss black, oval tailpipe

Just a mistake in the advertising, theres quite a few confusing packs like below for the Vorsprung, all you actually add here is the Ceramic brakes and the 180mph top speed increase, the Vorsprung already has the Adaptive suspension and Sport exhaust, but I think the 'packs' are also designed for the base model which would get all 4 options, confusing to say the least and also led me to email Audi Customer services, they eventually altered some of the advertising, still confusing though

RS Dynamic Pack​

5,000.00 GBP
Add to configuration
RS Adaptive suspension with Audi drive select
Via Audi drive select, additional RS-specific driving modes – RS INDIVIDUAL, RS PERFORMANCE and RS TORQUE REAR – can be set for the adaptive suspension with Audi drive select including damper control (DCC). The settings range from RS-specific handing to outstanding driving dynamics to great driving comfort.
RS ceramic brake system with brake callipers in gloss anthracite grey
19-inch high-performance brake system with carbon-fibre-reinforced ceramic brake discs at the front, with front brake callipers painted in gloss anthracite grey, with “Audi ceramic” logo
Top Speed increase
The top speed has been increased to 180 mph
RS sport exhaust system
An enhanced acoustic experience; dual-branch, with exhaust flap control and gloss black, oval tailpipe
I'd rather just pay £1920 for the adaptive suspension and sport exhaust ceramic brakes are pointless on a road car as is 180mph top speed unless you live in Germany £3080 saving :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally and AndyVWR
Exactly, that's why I was disappointed to see the drive modes were mandatory with the ceramics initially (carbon edition), but now it seems you can spec it by itself which changes things for me...although, as you said it's unlikely that i'll need drift mode but would be a nice addition to make the most of the new rear diff!

I shall email my dealer to see what can be done, although I'm probably pushing my luck!

On the 8V, if you up/down shift with the paddles the car will go into a semi manual mode but will upshift automatically. You need to push the shifter to the left to go full manual which then leaves it up to you to shift up and will hit the limiter.

Would assume the same set up in the 8y.

Reactions: johnmv55, Daggerit and Keano04
On the 8V, if you up/down shift with the paddles the car will go into a semi manual mode but will upshift automatically. You need to push the shifter to the left to go full manual which then leaves it up to you to shift up and will hit the limiter.

Would assume the same set up in the 8y.

Hopefully that is the case (with full
Manual) but as others pointed out the Golf 8R will shift at red line

First driving impressions under lockdown until 26th Oct when the embargo is lifted.
AF34E5F5 708B 439F 92C6 71C30BAD2B1E

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 2 others
Status
Not open for further replies.